iOS 11 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Mitlov, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Anyone else intrigued by the direction Apple is going with iOS 11?

With a file explorer, a swipe-in Apps-Edge-esque dock, a multitasker that resembles macOS Launchpad or Win 10 Task View, and drag-and-drop between split screen windows, it's much more computer-y than iOS has ever been before.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11-preview/

I've historically not been an iPhone person, but with recent Samsung hardware problems (I had my Note 7 recalled, then I had to return an S7 Edge due to the pink line of death, and don't even get me started on my washing machine), and my carrier apparently refusing to push the monthly security updates that Samsung pledged to provide to all US carriers, I'm at least entertaining iOS for the future. And this adds a lot of the functionality I felt was missing from previous versions of iOS.

Guest, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 4 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I try not to think…it makes my head hurt :vbrolleyes:

from what little I've read, it looks to be an interesting upgrade -- some good, some 'bad.' still and all, there's better (as in longer) support for the iThings than for nearly all Android devices that aren't Nexus/Pixel.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

No.

I can still navigate around on my 2012 Nexus 7 more like a computer-y OS than Apple IOS ever could. Welcome to the year 2002, Apple. Smartphones in 2002 had a file explorer back then. You're catching up... :)

4. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

It will be interesting to see if they can pull these things off without breaking what has made Apple appealing to those who like Apple. Some of that will, of course, turn on what third party app devs are able to do with these features. I'm someone who likely won't be tempted to Apple, given my predilection to root and flash new ROMs about a week after I get my device. However, to be fair, I will never buy Samsung ever again because they make everything so hard. I might rather have an iPhone if I'm going to have to do what the manufacturer wants me to do. For now, I'm safe with my Nexus 6p.

Welcome back, Mitlov. :vbsmile:

lelisa13p, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I think to a certain degree they're building it so that it's all entirely optional. You can still just hit the home button and go back to your app grid between each app instead of going direct from one to another by calling up the dock. You can never use Files or the multitasker at all. Etc. It's faster to use all these features but it's not mandatory, so hopefully that'll help with the less-tech-literate iOS users.

For me, hardware selection is pretty limited because I'm tied to US Cellular due to poor rural Oregon coverage for everyone besides US Cellular and Verizon, and my wife's passionate hatred of Verizon. US Cellular currently offers phones from Samsung, Apple, and LG, doesn't provide reliable security updates for the Samsung and LG phones, and won't activate Pixel phones even though they're 100% compatible (Project Fi uses US Cellular, T-Mobile, and Sprint networks). So for when I replace my S7 Edge, basically my choices are to get LG's latest flagship and try not to think about the security update issue, or go with iOS and try to live with a UI that I don't prefer.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Hi, Mitlov!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and Mitlov like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

'Do Not Disturb While Driving' iOS 11 Feature sounds good to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

This.

Buying my youngest son an iPhone 7 was all I needed to reassure myself that I was missing nothing by never going Apple all these years. To this day he's still complaining about the little annoyances (like having to go into the settings "app" every single time you want to do something as simple as turn on/off wifi). I think Apple needs to work on that type of basic functionality before it tries the "really crazy" stuff like split-screen windows, and (GASP!) a dock, etc. :rolleyes:

I still have no plan on what to do when my Nexus 6 gives up the ghost. Samsung just isn't really an option anymore and most of the other high-end phones (especially unlocked ones) won't work on Sprint.

scjjtt, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Pixel?

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/de...gle-pixel-works-on-the-sprint-network-too.htm

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  10. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Unfortunately, no -- not at that price! Especially not at that price with the reported issues that quite a few people are having with it.

I did notice the Essential Phone was actually exclusive to Sprint, but it falls quite a bit short of my list of essential features.

Maybe an LG?

I don't remember ever being so unexcited at the thought of upgrading a portable device!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Mitlov, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.