Intrusive Advertising

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by DLCPhoto, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

The perception of the OP and most in this thread isn't that ads are intrusive, it's that intrusive ads are intrusive. This is why I block flash, but don't block ads generally.

If auto-play audio and video are the minimum necessary to keep the lights on, I'd happily trade free content for subscription content and I'll behave accordingly. I'm happy to consume ads and support the sites I enjoy in a variety of ways, including generating lots of free content to drive google traffic to them. But I know from experience that there's a level of advertising that completely kills previously active sites. When people who've never used ad blockers before are driven to them, that's like spotting one cockroach, you may only see one, but there are thousands more just out of sight, most just choosing to use less intrusive sites.

It's BH's balancing act, not mine. And whatever they choose, I won't get offended, but I will do what's necessary to retain peacefulness in my browsing experience. That choice is not an indication that I don't understand BH has bills to pay. But just like they aren't a charity, neither am I.

2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm not willing to agree that auto-play audio-video is necessary to keep the lights on. That's the kind of thinking that gets us TV commercials with volume 30% or more higher than the program volume. Thanks, but no thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.