Intrusive Advertising

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by DLCPhoto, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I don't use IE except at work and I have no idea what Ad blocking add-ons are available. I use Ad Block Plus, a free add-in for FireFox.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

3. DLCPhoto

DLCPhoto Mobile Deity

Maybe this will help me overcome my IE inertia, and start playing around with Firefox!

4. Hook

I don't know if anyone from Tech Target is paying attention to this thread, or if any of them care, but my bookmark has officially changed from the News Page to the forum index. I used to always come in through the news page and even tried reviewing some of the news there. However, since the addition of self-launching video with audio, I will no longer do so. As I don't have this problem with most other places I visit, I don't want to add flash blocking. I just will no longer visit the news front page.

My not visiting there may not mean much to you, and that's fine.

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Hook, while I completely understand the annoyance of the advertising, it really is a catch-22 situation. The site can only charge what advertisers are willing to pay. Yes, this place does get some amount of money from referrals to online stores, but as I recall it's only a small fraction of the money that's brought in by advertising. So that advertising money is responsible for paying the site's hosting bills and staff. A limitation I know well, as it was the implosion of the online ad market and the subsequent drop in revenue that cost me my position here. Believe me, if this place is turning any kind of substantial profit, I'd like very much to speak with somebody about reinvesting that money in one of their former top content writers, but I'd advise not thinking of it as pure greed.

6. Hook

I don't, I assure you. I suspect there couldn't be a less greedy site. There was no judgment of Brighthand in my post. However, I am doing things like making recordings while checking Brighthand and will not tolerate sounds coming up without my taking an action to activate them. The video in question is not an advertisement, it is a video review. So, in fact, it isn't actually a source a revenue (assuming there is no deal with the device maker in the review).

My message was plain and simple. I won't do this. No judgement, just FYI.

Again, I don't block ads and try to click through them every so often. I don't mind ads to pay the bills. I mind web technology that interferes with what I'm trying to do.

7. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I don't think anyone here said or insinuated anything about greed. Indeed, everyone seems fairly understanding. Hopefully BH/TT is equally understanding that there is a line. Where I draw it probably isn't where the mass market draws it, but I think I (and the OP and others) are good canaries. Beware BH, here there be dragons.

8. Adama D. Brown

Yeah, auto-play on videos can be annoying--I would definitely consider that a bug, to be honest.

9. Adama D. Brown

I'm sure the people who still have the power to make that decision get that. I just wanted to point out that compared to the perception of ads being intrusive--and they certainly can be--there are certain minimum pressures that need to be met in order to keep the lights on, capitalism aside.

10. DLCPhoto

DLCPhoto Mobile Deity

Thanks for the additional input.

Like the others, I have no problem in general with the advertising, and certainly don't think BH or anyone on it is guilty of greed.

And like the others, it's the Auto-Play on the Video that really got to me, and motivated me to start this thread. I've seen similar Video Ads on other sites, and it doesn't Auto-Play, and if it's something I'm interested in, I'll just hit the Play button.

At this point, I've haven't stopped visiting the Home Page, like Hook, although that is definitely food for thought. I just remember to hit the Mute button on my keyboard, so once again, this Ad is self-defeating, and because it basically irritates the heck out of me, I wouldn't play it on principle, even if it were something that had some interest for me (once again, self-defeating).

Isn't there some way you can turn this "feature" off and give the Reader the choice to hear it or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.