Intrusive Advertising

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by DLCPhoto, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLCPhoto

DLCPhoto Mobile Deity

I really hate to post a complaint, as this site is otherwise so good, but lately, the advertising has really started to annoy me. Two issues:

Whenever I go to the home page, to check the news headlines, the dang Windows Phone 7 advert starts playing its audio, without any input from me. Maybe it's just my browser (IE8), or some setting I've failed to select (I've looked, but don't find anything), but I find this unacceptably intrusive.

Secondly, I'd say perhaps 3 times out of 4, when I initially go to the home page, that dang full-page ad comes up, usually Dell, and I have to click to get past it, and return to the home page.

I know advertising pays the bills, but personally, I find these annoying enough that I find myself less motivated to come here. And maybe it's my obstinant personality, but these advertisements do influence my purchase decisions, but not the way I want - I prefer not to patronize the purveyors of these intrusive ads!

Anyway, thanks for the great site, and the opportunity to vent a little bit of frustration...

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

This is why I employ an ad blocker on the News pages. I don't on the Forum pages, where the ads remain non-intrusive and I will even occasionally click through to support the site. However, I agree about the intrusiveness of the News page ads, also the keyword pop-ups. I don't go near them without an ad blocker.

3. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Audio and video ads really used to piss me off because my PC is also my primary TV/DVR and of the variety of media I play, some requires my volume to be much louder to hear than advertisers expect it to be, causing ads to be so loud that they blow out my ear drums.

I don't use ad blocker, only flash block, and that tends to take care of the problem. I never even wanted to go that far, because I like to support all the sites I use, but intrusiveness is exactly what drove me to it.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I don't expect the current way websites pay their bills, to last. With the negligent path this 'Do not track me' browser is heading, advertising dollars will dry up. People don't stop to think that those ads, pay for this site to be up and running.

Don't get me wrong, some of those ads are so obnoxious, and manipulative, that I too, have taken to blanket blocking of them. Websites hate me, but I hate the ads more. It's a vicious cycle. :(

5. Hook

Hopefully sites will offer alternatives to a business model based on annoying your customers. Just like I gladly pay for ad-free versions of apps, I'd also pay for ad free versions of sites I enjoy. Then folks have a choice-- free but annoying and paid.

I'm happy to keep ads on in the forums because they don't do things that get in my way, but if that changed, I'd turn on the ad block in a minute. And I feel no guilt about doing so. I do not consider this a "neglegent path." I call it giving me the functionality I need. If a site can't survive any other way... well, that's those market forces we hear about. I also don't feel guilty about hanging up on telemarketers even though they may lose income.

So, advertising is fine. I'll even support with click-throughs. However, I will not allow ads to float over and block me from what I'm doing. :)

6. headcronie

Hook, I'm referring to the new proposal of a browser specially built with protocol to tell websites they can't track them. Individual use of adblockers is a paralell but separate topic. If this browser gains a foothold, all major browsers are likely to follow suit. From there, it is all downhill for web marketing.

7. Hook

My comments still hold. If their business model depends on tracking me without my permission, the industry deserves to die. :)

8. headcronie

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. :)

I have to agree with you!

9. DLCPhoto

DLCPhoto Mobile Deity

Thanks for the replies; glad I'm not the only one bothered by this.

Can anybody recommend a good (hopefully free, minimal use of resources, free of other undesired effects) Ad Blocker? My system is Vista Home Premium, 64-bit, with IE8 as my main browser (with Pop-up blocker enabled, on 'Medium' setting).

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm with Hook. I think this 'necessity' for tracking is a myth. They don't track TV watching do they? They have developed methods to figure out that advertising beer during sporting events makes sense. The same should apply to web sites.

DLC, I agree wholeheartedly, if belatedly. Not only ads, but I don't like how so many sites immediately start playing a video when you land on the page. I typically just skip when that happens.

Like Mi An, I often use my laptop as a media player; and I hate that YouTube 'autoplays,' and ads restart all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.