Introducing myself

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by Daniel L, Nov 12, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The Gemini PDA was a device I considered buying, because it has a physical keyboard. But at the same time, the clamshell design drew me away from it, because there is no way to use it without the keyboard. If it could be tucked under the screen that would be great. Perhaps you might be interested in the F(x) Pro Tec 1. The slider design allows the keyboard to be hidden, turning the device into a regular bar phone. BH's own Hook is on a quest to get one. Looks like he'll get it in about a week or so. You can read about it here. I linked to page 17 on the thread because that's where he started talking about this device.
    I've considered using a tablet as a main device, but IMO most models available miss the sweet spot in several matters: they're too large to be pocketable, too large for one-handed use, pixel density is much lower than on "flagship" phones, hardware specs are unimpressive (less powerful CPUs, less RAM, less storage) compared to flagship phones, and cameras are in general poor quality. I prefer to get as powerful and large a phone as my budget allows. My current device is a 5.7" LG G6 with over 500 ppi density. Images and movies look much better on my G6 than on my 8" iPad 4 Mini because the iPad has 320 ppi spread over a much larger screen area. Ofcourse, this is just my personal usage. YMMV :)

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Daniel, I think the Pro1 is going to be a great keyboard phone, but I should clearly state that they have had some trouble pushing it out. They say they will get it out to all pre-orders by early December, but there is some risk there if you want something quickly. I'm in the first batch and allegedly will have mine this week or next, but I'm not sure about the end of the line.

3. Daniel L

Daniel L Mobile Enthusiast

I prefer clam shell designs and that's why I chose Gemini over the f(x), though it was a big decision to choose either way. The other was price point. I'm getting a data only plan that'll allow sms/mms with no voice services. Last month I used 18 minutes on my cell. If I simply wanted a smartphone with a keyboard I would've stuck with the blackberry keyone.

I meant to say PDA not tablet. Not looking for a tablet at all. But the one I have meets all my requirements.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You're forcing me to upgrade my game. :p No, not really. I don't want the hassle of trying to keep the hackers out of my server. Email is a beast to maintain, and it simply isn't anything I feel I have the skill or the desire to do. I do run Owncloud and utilize that often. I've never heard of Ampache until this very moment. I'm running Plex, and before that I dabbled with XBMC. I have ~6,500 songs loaded. A very eclectic mix that I throw on random. Never know what is going to play next. I'm not a web dev by any means, and keeping Owncloud running is a challenge enough. Ampache looks neat, but I fear not knowing how to stay current. I don't want my stuff getting hacked. It looks pretty neat though. :)

5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Daniel L - welcome to our B.H. community/family. It's great to have you here.

I lived in Sunnyvale from 1993-2000 - the home of Palm, and started using Palms in 1998. It was really tough for me to leave PalmOS after 14 years of using it but I have almost forgotten stuff about it to help others.

I'm still using Graffiti to input on my Android devices. The app uses Graffiti 1 instead of Graffiti 2 which the Palm TX used. I prefer using Graffiti 1 so I'm very happy and having been inputing text with Graffiti since 1998 and can write with it as fast as I can write on paper.

Anyway, everyone here has better memory than I do so any question you come up with - they probably have an answer. We look forward to journeying with you in this great forum![​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

6. Daniel L

I'm going to reply to this via private message. I realized that my response was turning into an essay.

scjjtt, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  7. headcronie

In reading your response, I'm so far out of my league it isn't funny! Haha. :)

scjjtt, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. headcronie

What Daniel told me puts everything I have at home, to complete shame. I'll just head home now and unplug it from the net. An offline computer is extremely difficult to hack. I could power it off, and render it completely immune from hacking. But... the usability of said system would greatly suffer. Daniel's got his stuff together that is for sure! :)

9. Daniel L

Wow that's cool software. My start with palm was 2003. I'm still using the same Tungsten T5. Sunnyvale must've been interesting to live in those days. Now, that place is totally different. Graffiti app, now that's interesting. When I get the gemini, i wonder how it'll work with a stylus. It won't matter much since the selling point is the keyboard.

10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Daniel, I'd love a review of the Gemini by someone with a Palm background.

I heard from someone in the F(X) Tec unofficial discord chat channel that the Gemini's keyboard had problems which were addressed somewhat but not completely in the Cosmo Communicator, though he didn't go in much detail. The keyboard slider folks are biased against keyboards you really have to put on a surface to use well.

I've always been tempted by the Gemini and Cosmo, but again wasn't sure I wanted something so UMPC like without a full OS like the GPD units. The GPD pocket is interesting, if I wanted a UMPC (not sure I do).

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.