Introducing myself

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by Daniel L, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Daniel L

Daniel L Mobile Enthusiast

I wanted to join this forum a few weeks but the capcha was broken. Now that it's fixed I'm here now. Yay

I've been using my palm tungsten t5 off and on since 2003. It's now my main device and I"m hungry for some features.

Some years ago there was a movement where some devs were trying to update garnet withi a webos looking interface for legacy palm devices. Not sure what ever happened to that but they seemed to be completely gone. But, needless to say, I'm here now to see if it's worth any effort to broaden my use of the palm device.

What I currently use the device for are the games, alarm clock, calendar, tasks.

What I'd like to use the device for aren't possible anymore. I had a wifi card (cost a cool $100 back in the day) but it broke after I inadvertently dropped my palm pilot. So I was limited to bluetooth. While I can pair my t5 with my linux box at home, it's limits are obvious. I can't seem to get it to sync with a cable, despite having synching software installed. Can't sync it with bluetooth either. So there's that.

I am considering a purchase of a tx. Many new and unboxed are on ebay for nearly nothing. I'm counting on the wifi. Mostly, it would be used for downloading email and sync functions, if possible.

Please come on here and burst my bubble and wake me up to the realities of this dead product. I have high hope that there is some function left in this device.

To give you some background, I followed Palm to the Pre. Joined Sprint for the device. Got the touchpad. What a disaster that was.

I finally jumped ship when the Galaxy S2 came. Honestly, I had to wave goodbye to my webos days because it seriously was a poorly developed OS despite the forward thinking feature design. Android was, by many measures, superior.

I continued my drive forward with smartphones. S2 > S4 > S5 > S7 > Grand Prime > J7 > blackberry keyone.

I'm back to a flip phone and it's relegated to the center console of my car. People rarely call anymore and, if anything, they'll text me. I call people and it goes to voicemail. At this point, the phone's mostly used to get login codes for some websites. As I slowly revert my habits to the old, I want to challenge myself into getting my older hardware back into service.

What I don't look for on my palm: surfing
    Ideally: syncing cal, contacts, tasks, email

Naturally, I can just bury the past and get a fresh Gemini PDA, slap a data sim into it, and i'll have a PDA with a mobile connection that can be used for text messaging. I would, however, love love love expanding my current pda's life.

I'm also a sucker for that stylus. Mark me old fashioned but it's my preference.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  2. Daniel L

OH and yeah, I misspelled my name. It's not dnaiel, it's daniel. boo, i can't seem to change it either.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, Daniel :)

There's a lot of former Palm users here, myself included. In my signature is the history of my main devices, and they were all Palm from 2000 to 2012. My last Palm device was a TX, which is still functional. However, it's only a novelty item now. I couldn't go back to using a 320x480 4" screen after using 5"+ HD+ devices. My first post-Palm device was a Samsung Galaxy Mini, but soon I migrated to large-screen devices. I rarely use my phone for voice calls, it's mostly for texting, video conferences, gaiming, and watching movies.

I have several other functional Palm devices, including two spare TXs, one m100, one Tunsgten C, and one Tungsten T3. I miss the Tungsten T2, it was a very compact and great-looking device. From time to time I'm tempted to get one just to enjoy its feel again.

IMO the TX was the finest Palm device ever (even if I also loved the Tungsten T3, the TX had key features the T3 lacked). But I think it's no longer suitable as a main device, even though some of its functions (contacts, calendars) are still superior to more modern counterparts. I still fire up my TX from time to time for old time's sake, but I wouldn't want to have to use it as main work device anymore. It's just too limited in terms of connectivity, internet access (email, browsing, cloud access), and graphics.

If you choose to continue using a Palm device, I recommend you get a TX an an SDHC card. Mine has a 16GB card holding music, ebooks, and some movies. There's still a lot of info on this site about how to best use a Palm device. If you need assistance, please let us know.

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Welcome, Daniel. I love my TX-- I even paid to have it fully refurbed by Palm Dr. (Chris Short-- see link on my Palm TX Help page, linked below). However, I fully agree with Raspy, I would never go back to using it as my main device. I mostly us mine to play Astroware games. However it is still fun to fiddle round with it.

If you do go for a TX, you may find some of the links on my TX help page (see link in signature) helpful. I probably need to update it. I'll tend to that soon.

Glad to have you on board.

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome, Daniel!

You might be okay with some PIMs on Palm, but email seemed to get the most complaints. I made it work for me back in the day, but it was always quirky.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Your name has been corrected. Welcome to Brighthand. :vbsmile:

My relationship with my 2 TXs is much as Hook stated above. Additionally I'm actively using DateBk6 on both of my devices (they are clones of each other.) I also sent both TXs to PalmDR in 2017 for battery and screen replacement on each. I love my TXs and DateBk6. :thumbsup: PalmOS using DateBk6 allows for searching within any time frame contained on the device for any event ever entered, including all past or future dates. Calendar on my multiple iOS devices only allows search within the current 12 months window. It's maddening and I purposely go to the trouble of duplicating iOS Calendar entries on my TXs just to be able to have a clear and searchable record of events in my life's timeline, going back to January 2003, when I began using Palm devices. :vbcool:

Also speaking to the desire and delight :vbsmile: of being able to use Old Tech, I'm currently facing a major question of how to deal with DateBk6 template events which are designed to be stored as appointment entries on January 1, 2020, a now rapidly approaching date which seemed very far away in 2003 but now becomes potentially problematic because of the large number of templates appearing on the date of January 1, 2020. I suspect that I'll be required to do some finagling with the device Date and Clock setting. I'm not looking forward to this :vbfrown: and will open a separate thread to discuss options that anyone might want to offer. :newpalm:

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

4bowing.gif

8. Daniel L

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

To complete the picture, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E that I primarily utilize for flight planning and navigation. I also have the keyboard cover so it doubles as a laptop. It's taking

At home I run my own email server, cloud (owncloud soon to upgrade to nextcloud), media streamer (ampache).

My tablet and desktop connect to all those servers.

I've been thinking about this alot since posting my intro. I'm going to get the Gemini PDA because it has a keyboard and I could utilize it to send SMS/MMS. That's the core feature I"m looking for. I'm afraid the old palmpilot won't work since it's stylus driven. Once the Gemini is in my hands, my tablet reliance will be reduced down to what it was bought for (flight planning). It works great mounted to the yoke.

Obtaining a TX would just add another brick in my pocket. I paid $4 for a 2gb sd card to plug into my T5. It'll be used as a walkman for the rest of its battery life.

I may flash it and unload it off ebay for a few bucks.

The cellphone has increasingly become a burden due to to the lack of use. And once I have a tablet that could handle all the sms/mms as well as dav and media streaming, I will retire my cellphone and get a satellite phone.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I still occasionally use my LifeDrive, mostly for onboard databases and lists. The browser is now not functional as no sites will allow its use. Maybe the hack that allowed you to use a version of Opera on it still works, but I never got around to doing that. Many of the cool apps are broken too; but I'm still amazed at how much it was capable of and would likely still be capable of if Palm in its original form were still around. Someone would probably have come up with a browser that actually worked.

I think getting a TX would be fun to play around with, but I wouldn't put the time, effort, and money into using it as a primary device.

Good luck.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  10. Daniel L

Yeah, web features were never really what I looked for in the palm pilot. I used it primarily for school, tutoring sessions, notes, email. Tasks and calendar. Then i have a few games on there that I still play. at the time i was poor so i couldn't afford to purchase many things. Really that's it. No twitter, no facebook. I don't use any social media networks. Zilch.

Now, I'm going back and forth about it. Thought experiment: did palm ever release development kits for the community for writing apps or was it a super expensive thing to obtain?

I would be interested in seeing how easy it would be to port a modern app to the OS and pair down the features to make it workable. The TX is capable of 802.11B. If connected to a router broadcasting B, it should be able to sync using cal/carddav or groupdav daemons. If the existing calendar/task software have documented APIs, they could be modified and optimized to use modern techniques without adding too much battery draw.

I recently read that Garnet was managed by a company called ACCESS.

scjjtt likes this.