Internetpilot's Newer Toys - Reconditioned NookColor (x2)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm still booting CM7 from an 8GB microSD card, and my son's Nookcolor Christmas present hasn't been configured yet. Yesterday, I bought a 32GB Transcend class 4 microSD card for $29 (Amazon.com Lightning deal). I plan to install CM7 internally on both Nooks, keep the 32GB card for myself, and put the 8GB card in my son's.

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm looking around for a cheap 32gb card myself for the wife's arrive-any-day-now Nook Tablet. She's already given me a list of movies she wants on there, and instructed me to "do your magic" and move all of her songs off her iPod clip over to the tablet. Sigh. Now I have to remember how I converted things from iTunes to MP3.

You got a steal of a deal for 32gb. I paid $40 for a Sandisk Class 4 a couple of months ago for my Acer tablet.

The four Nook Colors (two for my own kids and two for my niece/nephew) are coming along quite nicely and stable, even after dinking around with them for weeks now (off and on). Usually I mess stuff like this up before now! Don't know how into games your son is, but Cordy, Sprinkle, Bouncy Mouse, and Stupid Zombies work great on the Nook Color. The first three have a limited free version, but the last one is completely free. Cordy and Sprinkle are rather unique games, but Stupid Zombies and Bouncey Mouse are pretty much a twist on Angry Birds-ish type of game. Both are different enough to be interesting, though.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I didn't care much for Stupid Zombies, but I'm giving the others a shot. Thanks for the suggestions.

I missed out on the 32GB SanDisk for $33 a little bit ago, so decided to jump on the Transcend deal. Seems class 4 should be fine (even preferred) for most uses other than photo/video capture.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Internetpilot, I am very curious about how the rooting goes for the NOOKTablet. I keep seeing conflicting reports about how easy/hard it is to root due to the locked bootloader, and I think there was a bunch of conflicting info on whether the root was permanent.

Please keep us updated!

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I was surprised that last holiday season, memory card sales weren't as prevalent as in the past. I'm hoping this year is different; but $30 isn't that far off several deals I've seen pretty regularly.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I picked up a Nook Tablet yesterday. It's light! 14.1 oz vs 15.8 oz for the Nook Color. Doesn't sound like much, but I noticed it.

7. internetpilot

As of 11/20 there's a permanent 2-click method of rooting on XDA. But I don't know if I will root it or not -- depends on what the wife wants to do. I don't think she'll tolerate not have full access to the Market for long when the two kids have it on their Nook Colors.

8. internetpilot

That's because the industry has dead-ended at 32gb. So there are sales on slower cards, but they're mostly pushing the class 6 & 10 cards.

FWIW, I have a Class 4 8gb SD card in my Pentax K-X DSLR camera which does 720p video, and I have no problems at all.

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I used a class 4 when I was booting CM7 from SD on my Nookcolor and had no issues. I think speed is only part of it, quality of card matters too.

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

IP, you're right. I expected the SDXC cards to be out in force by now, pushing down prices for 32 and 64 GB cards.