Internetpilot's Newer Toys - Reconditioned NookColor (x2)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm happy booting CM7 from the SD card and am not in any particular hurry to flash internal memory, but I would like to get to that point to see the performance differences. Also, I think flashing internal memory would be a better use of storage space and make it a bit easier for me to transfer files, etc.

I don't consider the option to boot from SD card vs internal memory dual booting. Is it dual booting? I was under the impression that there's an option to flash internal memory with CM7 and B&N to dual boot from internal memory (not involving the SD card).

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I went the internal CM7.1 install route because it seems to have the least problems. Remember, my two NC's are going to 9 & 10 year olds, so they need to be fairly stable.

I can definitely say that the whole install process was the easiest rooting/ROMing that I've done so far, but I've come to realize that it was easy becaue of the method I chose. Rooting and dual booting the NC can be quite confusing and tedious with a lot of opportunity for error. The route I chose is like 4 or 5 steps. Technically, I didn't root it. All I did was boot to an alternative recovery, and flash already rooted CM7.1, and then from within CM7.1 I used ROM manager to flash the alternative recovery (ClockworkMod) to internal memory (so I don't have to swap SD cards).

If I want or need to restore it back to stock, I just flash a stock ROM/recovery image and I'm "unrooted" and back to right out of the retail box condition.

I was mostly worried about all this because I haven't had the best of experiences using CM7.1 on my phone. However, CM7.1 runs flawlessly (at least so far) on the NookColor. It takes a lot to impress me with an electronic device, but I'm impressed as heck with using the Nook Color as a tablet -- blown away impressed.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I've bookmarked this thread. :newpalm:

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but after getting the NOOKcolor with CM7.1, I feel no need to upgrade my phone. My HTC TP2 still works very well, and with the ability to tether my NC-CM7.1 to it, I couldn't be happier. Does this mean I'm deconverged, now? :) I don't think of it that way since my TP2 is still a converged device, but now I often carry 2 devices with me.

4. internetpilot

After I got my Acer Iconia A500 tablet I actually went back to a Froyo ROM (Myn's Warm 2.2 RLS 5) on my HTC Evo 4G phone for a while rather than running the latest cutting edge Sense 3.X port, so I can definitely relate.

I can also relate to the whole "deconverged" thing. It was a huge step for me to converge from a Tungsten|C with a Motorola flip phone to a Palm Treo 755p. And then fairly soon after doing that, I bought a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet and found myself using my phone as just a phone and using my NIT for just about everything else. I then converged again with my current phone, HTC Evo 4G, and that lasted me for quite a while. But now that I have the Acer A500, I use my phone less again, and do most things with the tablet. I think I'm just destined to be a relatively deconverged type of guy.

5. internetpilot

While trying to further customize the NookColors for my two sons, I started encountering some glitches/weirdness. Font/icon size would weird out on me when switching between landscape/portrait, and the Market started reporting that quite a few apps were not compatible with my device.

I am happy to report that all of these were easily fixed!

The font/icon issue is due to the fact that I'm running ADW Launcher Pro instead of the stock ADW Launcher that comes with CM7.1. By just accepting the default sizes for both icons and fonts, the Nooks were getting confused. When I changed the font size down one increment and then right back, it now "sticks" when switching between portrait/landscape. I don't know if icon size would've done the same thing or not, because I reduced the size of the icons by an increment of 10 and actually like it better that way so I left it at 90. This also "sticks" now.

For the solution to the problem with the Market I kept reading that I needed to update CM7.1 to a nightly version (something I really didn't want to do for stability purposes), but then I finally found a suggestion that works with a lot of apps having problems -- go through Manage Applications and clear data on the Market app. This reset everything nicely, and now I can install whatever I want. I really need to remember the "clear data" solution for future app issues -- it works most of the time.

First two problems -- solved and solved. Loving this!

6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

What's the button situation like for CM7 NC? Are home and back both tasked to the "n" button, maybe in a long press short press situation?

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Home is tasked to the "n" button. A long press of "n" brings up recently used apps. The back button? I don't know. :confused: There's a soft back button on the status bar.

EDIT: I guess you can do some remapping using Root Explorer to edit qwerty.kbl. The volume keys might be good candidates.

8. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Thank you. Interesting. I guess there's a soft menu key too.

For fullscreen apps (games), this can be helpful.

CM9 might be a nice solution as well, if it comes to NC.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Drat! My son found Angry Birds. Worse - he showed me. It was nice knowing you, everyone.

10. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Post #23. I tried to warn you... :rolleyes: ;)