Internetpilot's Newer Toys - Reconditioned NookColor (x2)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I bought a set of 4 CrazyOnDigital TPU Skins. I don't like them. They did come with a screen protector, though. The CrazyOnDigital case came with one, too. I'm not too concerned about needing a screen protector, but since I have 2 of them, I might as well give 'em a shot. I do like the CrazyOnDigital case, so I'll probably get a 2nd one for my son's NC.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm Nookless today!! :eek: My wife and I can't be home when the kids get off the bus, so they're home alone for a few hours. My son shamed me into leaving the Nookcolor for him so he could continue reading his book. I did restrict internet access, but he can go ahead and play the few games on there (this is the unrooted B&N boot version).

So, do you think I could let him use his Christmas present for a few months while letting him THINK he's borrowing mine? :cool: :rolleyes:

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

How long do you actually think it will take for him to figure out how to do CM7 off an SD card? Go ahead and keep pretending he won't figure that out... ;)

4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Wow...all reports have been correct -- except for the small "reconditioned" sticker on the side if the box, both of these NookColors that I received today look new.

They're heavy little suckers! All the reviews pegged my Acer Iconia A500 tablet for being too heavy -- it always surprises me how heavy other similar devices are. I picked up my son's original iPad a while back, and was surprised how heavy it felt in my hands. Without directly comparing weights on a scale, I would guess they all weigh about the same. I think these reviewers are complaining about a couple ounces, which is ridiculous.

I'll probably start rooting and ROMing tonight after prying little eyes are in bed. I'll report back on my initial reaction to the stock NookColor, the rooting/ROMing experience, and my thoughts on the end results. I'm going to do one at a time so I can directly compare stock with rooted/ROM'ed. Rumor has it that the Nook Android app is superior to the Nook software that comes on a stock Nook, so that will be interesting to compare.

Wish me luck!

5. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Good luck!

You nailed it. Ounces and millimeters might as well tons and kilometers to those people. I could tell my TP2 was thicker than my brother's 3GS, but I couldn't conceive how the seemingly minor difference justified the "brick" description that made it into the echo chamber. :rolleyes:

6. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

I think people get hung up on the comparison. If that is heavier, it must be heavy, not the heavier of two light choices.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Everyone, please join me in singing, 'It ain't heavy, it's my tablet,' followed by, 'Kumbaya my Nook.' :)

8. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I'm beginning to understand why your wife didn't want you getting new devices... :rolleyes: ;)

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    Love (x2),
    Zippy
    :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  10. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Wow! Wow! Wow! :eek:

I'm *VERY* impressed!

First of all, I'm not a developer/hacker and wouldn't exactly call myself an experienced phone rooter/ROM'er, but both of my Android devices are rooted and flashed with custom ROMs/kernels. I was totally confused by every forum I visited (and I pretty much visited them all) -- do I need to root the NookColor before I can install CM7.1 and/or ClockworkMod Recovery? What's the purpose or benefit of booting CM7.1 from a SD card (and is it slower? faster? no difference?)? Do I use Nooter? Auto Nooter? There's like 3 different Nooter versions alone -- which do I use? Both of my NookColors are newer models with the 1.2.0 firmware and "reversed" internal memory partitions -- do any of these methods work with these newer NookColors? My head was spinning and I'm a career network engineer and rather techie type of guy...:confused:

In the end, it turned out to be incredibly easy, but you do need to find the right How-To to follow. I used THIS GUIDE. Everything was VERY painless. You don't have to root the NookColor unless you're planning on dual-booting it (with the stock NookColor firmware and CM7.1 running on a SD card) -- if you're ultimate goal is to install CM7.1, that's basically all you have to do because CM7.1 is Gingerbread with root access. A side process of installing CM7.1 is that you'll also replace the stock recovery with ClockworkMod recovery. The latest version of ClockworkMod recovery handles the new "reversed" memory partitioning of the newer NookColors just fine, so there's no reason to re-partition.

SWISH...BAM! CM7.1 is *FAST* on the NookColor. I would have to say that the performance of CM7.1 on the NookColor is roughly equal to the performance of HoneyComb 3.2 on my Acer A500 tablet, which is a dual core system. I haven't had ANY of the problems with CM7.1 that I did when trying it on my HTC Evo 4G phone.

Speaking of comparisons...y'know...I can't say that I regret buying my Acer Iconia A500 tablet, because it is superior to the NookColor, but if I had never tried the Acer A500 and the NookColor was my first tablet, I would be more than satisfied with it. It's that nice of an experience. No, it doesn't have 3G, or a GPS, or camera(s), or a microphone, etc., but my A500 is a wi-fi only tablet, and the rest of those features I've maybe used once to try them. At 7" the NookColor is a good size, too. The resolution of screen is excellent, and the screen is nice and bright. As for speed, everything I've tried on the NookColor has worked without lag or problems, and that's without overclocking it to 1.2ghz through the built-in kernel settings of CM7.1. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a movie, but I have tried full-screen Youtube videos and they worked fine. I'll custom convert a movie for the NookColor, try it, and report back.

As for comparing the CM7.1 NookColor to the stock NookColor, I'm not even going to make that comparison. The stock NookColor is a rather familiar interface for me having worked with my wife's original Nook, but after briefly going through the stock settings and features, I'm not overwhelmingly impressed. I mean...it's an eReader. Cool, but no big deal. :rolleyes: Then what really ruins stock for me is putting CM7.1 on one of the NookColors, and then I got to see what this device can really do. The difference is basically night and day with the CM7.1 experience being VASTLY superior to stock. Also, I actually like the Nook Android app over the stock eReader app. It's more simple and faster, while still looking good and having nice touches like animated page turns, etc.

In closing, another HUGE thanks to Jig, QF, and any others who did this before me. This was a great decision, and considering the benefits/cost ratio, I'd have to pretty much say that it's the best deal going in tablets at the moment. Having such great support from the developer community is a huge plus over most of the other small tablets out there.