Internetpilot's Newer Toys - Reconditioned NookColor (x2)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Kerplunk! Down went the credit card for two reconditioned NookColors at Buy.com for $150 each with free shipping.

Reconditioned Nook Color @ Buy.com

I was going to wait until closer to Christmas to see if the prices go down, but the Nook Color seems to be getting a lot of attention these days, so I don't really see that happening. I did see it on one of the lesser "dealz" type site for $137, but these weren't sold/shipped by B&N like the Buy.com ones are. Their Reseller.com rating wasn't exactly stellar either. I think with shipping it brought it up over the $140 range, so it just wasn't worth risking to save less than $10 per unit.

I should receive them on 10/26, and will be immediately rooting/ROMing them (which is why I posted this in the Tablet forum instead of eReader). They're for my two youngest kids for Christmas mostly because they're spoiled brats (who have everything else), but also to get them off my Acer A500 tablet, which is mine, mine, MINE, ALL MINE!

Anyway, thanks to Jig and QF (and anyone else I may have missed) for paving the way. I may pick your brains since you've had a significant head start!

I tried to put CM7.1 on my HTC Evo 4G as my daily driver ROM to get better acquainted with it, but at least the Evo port of CM7.1 isn't very reliable. I was having a lot of basic phone problems (slow 3G, GPS, MMS, quirky bluetooth pairing, etc.). From what I've read, that doesn't seem true of the NookColor port of CM7.1, so hopefully I'll have a better experience. I guess it doesn't hurt that the Nook Color doesn't have a lot of phone hardware in it. I've tried CM on my Evo before, and although I didn't keep it on there, previous versions were much more stable than 7.1.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress/experiences.

2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

From everything you have said, I think the Evo port of CM7 must have challenges that aren't typical. I do think some versions are bettter than others. The Nexus One version seems to be the gold standard-- don't know if that id because of its age or because that is the version that has always been worked on by Cyanogen himself.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Congratulations, internetpilot! I'm still happily booting CM7.1 from the microSD card. I'm still a bit torn about rooting and ROMing my NC, and since everything is working as is, I'll probably leave well enough alone for the foreseeable future. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so I don't have strong urges to upgrade to something like the Acer. In fact, the combination of my TP2 w/free tethering to the NC and my super-cheap smartphone plan (SERO), I don't feel a need to upgrade my phone. :eek:

4. internetpilot

All ROM performance can vary significantly based on hardware, even on the same model of phone. But I think the CM7.1 release for the Evo was sloppy. I've tried CM7 three different times before (two prior versions0, and everything was working fine -- it was purely my preference for Sense that caused me not to stick with it before.

I still like Sense, but I'm over it now and was looking to get better performance out of AOSP, and the gold standard of AOSP is CyanogenMod. But so many basic functions of my phone didn't work with 7.1 that there was no way I could use it as a daily driver. I'm going to try again this weekend, but I'll probably go with an earlier version that works, and then flash CM7.1 on top of that (after wiping cache and Dalvik). That seems to work better for some Evo users. It would be nice to narrow down my Android support in this house to just Honeycomb 3.2 (on my Acer tablet) and CM7.1 on everything else.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Congrats! You and your kids are going to have a great time fiddling with the NOOKcolors.

I am happy to help if you run into issues, but seriously, it's DEAD SIMPLE to install CM7. The two biggest issues I had was creating the Clockwork SD card (none of the windows programs I had would create the disk image correctly, so I went old school and used terminal on my macbook) and not following the instructions correctly (which led to a reboot cycle the first time because I missed a step. If you follow the instructions at XDA, Android Central, etc you'll be fine.

Once I followed the instructions correctly, I think the whole install took ~15 minutes. The biggest bottleneck is how long it takes to create the Clockwork SD card-I remember it seemed to take forever on my macbook.

And hang onto the SD card you use for that-you can also use it to restore B&N's internal software, try other ROMs, etc.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You're shaming me into doing this. :D

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

8. internetpilot

Thanks, Jig and QF -- that guide for installing everything internally is like night and day easier than it was to root my HTC Evo 4G! Although not quite as easy as it was to root my Acer A500.

The kids are going to love these little tablets, but I think I'm going to love dinking around with them and getting them all ready to go even more! My wife loves the price. It's just win win win! Haha

Edit: Sweet! I now have a total of FOUR NookColors coming my way -- two more for the niece and nephew who are about the same age as my youngest two, and since the relatives are spending Christmas with us this year, we try to keep things very even among the kids. No, I'm not springing for the niece & nephew's Nooks, but I do get configure them! Techie nerd heaven! I'm going to be a pro at this in the end!

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Don't be mad. The NOOKcolor is $138.57 at Overstock.com with promo code code 207912 (takes 7% off 149 price). Shipping and tax free. :eek:

BTW, I got the CrazyOnDigital Folio case through Amazon.com for around $15. I like it. Ebay is cheaper.

10. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Hey! If I come up for Christmas can I have one?!?! :D :p

Congrats IP! Sounds Like a GREAR DEAL!!!