Internetpilot's Newer Toys - Reconditioned NookColor (x2)

Discussion in 'Netbooks, Tablets, Slates and eReaders' started by internetpilot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Kerplunk! Down went the credit card for two reconditioned NookColors at Buy.com for $150 each with free shipping.

Reconditioned Nook Color @ Buy.com

I was going to wait until closer to Christmas to see if the prices go down, but the Nook Color seems to be getting a lot of attention these days, so I don't really see that happening. I did see it on one of the lesser "dealz" type site for $137, but these weren't sold/shipped by B&N like the Buy.com ones are. Their Reseller.com rating wasn't exactly stellar either. I think with shipping it brought it up over the $140 range, so it just wasn't worth risking to save less than $10 per unit.

I should receive them on 10/26, and will be immediately rooting/ROMing them (which is why I posted this in the Tablet forum instead of eReader). They're for my two youngest kids for Christmas mostly because they're spoiled brats (who have everything else), but also to get them off my Acer A500 tablet, which is mine, mine, MINE, ALL MINE!

Anyway, thanks to Jig and QF (and anyone else I may have missed) for paving the way. I may pick your brains since you've had a significant head start!

I tried to put CM7.1 on my HTC Evo 4G as my daily driver ROM to get better acquainted with it, but at least the Evo port of CM7.1 isn't very reliable. I was having a lot of basic phone problems (slow 3G, GPS, MMS, quirky bluetooth pairing, etc.). From what I've read, that doesn't seem true of the NookColor port of CM7.1, so hopefully I'll have a better experience. I guess it doesn't hurt that the Nook Color doesn't have a lot of phone hardware in it. I've tried CM on my Evo before, and although I didn't keep it on there, previous versions were much more stable than 7.1.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress/experiences.

2. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

From everything you have said, I think the Evo port of CM7 must have challenges that aren't typical. I do think some versions are bettter than others. The Nexus One version seems to be the gold standard-- don't know if that id because of its age or because that is the version that has always been worked on by Cyanogen himself.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Congratulations, internetpilot! I'm still happily booting CM7.1 from the microSD card. I'm still a bit torn about rooting and ROMing my NC, and since everything is working as is, I'll probably leave well enough alone for the foreseeable future. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so I don't have strong urges to upgrade to something like the Acer. In fact, the combination of my TP2 w/free tethering to the NC and my super-cheap smartphone plan (SERO), I don't feel a need to upgrade my phone. :eek:

4. internetpilot

All ROM performance can vary significantly based on hardware, even on the same model of phone. But I think the CM7.1 release for the Evo was sloppy. I've tried CM7 three different times before (two prior versions0, and everything was working fine -- it was purely my preference for Sense that caused me not to stick with it before.

I still like Sense, but I'm over it now and was looking to get better performance out of AOSP, and the gold standard of AOSP is CyanogenMod. But so many basic functions of my phone didn't work with 7.1 that there was no way I could use it as a daily driver. I'm going to try again this weekend, but I'll probably go with an earlier version that works, and then flash CM7.1 on top of that (after wiping cache and Dalvik). That seems to work better for some Evo users. It would be nice to narrow down my Android support in this house to just Honeycomb 3.2 (on my Acer tablet) and CM7.1 on everything else.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Congrats! You and your kids are going to have a great time fiddling with the NOOKcolors.

I am happy to help if you run into issues, but seriously, it's DEAD SIMPLE to install CM7. The two biggest issues I had was creating the Clockwork SD card (none of the windows programs I had would create the disk image correctly, so I went old school and used terminal on my macbook) and not following the instructions correctly (which led to a reboot cycle the first time because I missed a step. If you follow the instructions at XDA, Android Central, etc you'll be fine.

Once I followed the instructions correctly, I think the whole install took ~15 minutes. The biggest bottleneck is how long it takes to create the Clockwork SD card-I remember it seemed to take forever on my macbook.

And hang onto the SD card you use for that-you can also use it to restore B&N's internal software, try other ROMs, etc.

6. jigwashere

You're shaming me into doing this. :D

7. jigwashere

8. internetpilot

Thanks, Jig and QF -- that guide for installing everything internally is like night and day easier than it was to root my HTC Evo 4G! Although not quite as easy as it was to root my Acer A500.

The kids are going to love these little tablets, but I think I'm going to love dinking around with them and getting them all ready to go even more! My wife loves the price. It's just win win win! Haha

Edit: Sweet! I now have a total of FOUR NookColors coming my way -- two more for the niece and nephew who are about the same age as my youngest two, and since the relatives are spending Christmas with us this year, we try to keep things very even among the kids. No, I'm not springing for the niece & nephew's Nooks, but I do get configure them! Techie nerd heaven! I'm going to be a pro at this in the end!

9. jigwashere

Don't be mad. The NOOKcolor is $138.57 at Overstock.com with promo code code 207912 (takes 7% off 149 price). Shipping and tax free. :eek:

BTW, I got the CrazyOnDigital Folio case through Amazon.com for around $15. I like it. Ebay is cheaper.

10. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Hey! If I come up for Christmas can I have one?!?! :D :p

Congrats IP! Sounds Like a GREAR DEAL!!!

11. internetpilot

I'm sure there will be more deals like that, but I've always had great dealings with Buy.com and the order is actually fulfilled and shipped by B&N directly. I've read on the vvarious forums that if your receipt says B&N on it you can get warranty help at local stores even if it's reconditioned. Buy.com also offers a 45-day no-questions-asked return policy.

I've had problems with Overstock.com in the past -- about a 60/40 success rate. The few failures I've had with them was resistance on accepting a shipping damaged return, another time they sent me a cooking grill when I ordered a camera flash (???), and another time I went through a 2-week "it's shipping" process only to have them tell me in the end "Sorry, it's out of stock".

More than I was worried about getting a rock-bottom price, I was worried the reconditioned units would get scarce, because this deal/process is starting to get really popular -- it's not just the techies nerds anymore.

12. internetpilot

Remember, these are tech-hungry <10-year-olds -- they'll scrap with you for it!

13. jigwashere

My son was marginally interested in the NookColor until last night. My wife had me buy a book for him through B&N and have him start reading on it. Needless to say, I just ordered a $138 NC from Overstock. Unfortunately, I might have to hold off until Christmas, which means we're going to have to share!!!! I should get one for my daughter, too, but I haven't gotten spousal approval (yet-please stand by with your credit card ready).

I'm going to need help setting this (these :D) up to make them kid-friendly. I want my son to use it as a reader MOST OF THE TIME. That means keeping him off games and the internet. Perhaps booting from CM7 from SD card so I can give him the B&N (w/built-in controls) is the best/easiest route to go.

EDIT: Wife says my daughter can inherit the iPod Touch once the iPhone 4S arrives. :rolleyes:

14. brickman65

How old is daughter? I am assuming younger than son. iBooks has many Free kids books. So does Kindle App I'm sure. Also there are tons of free kids games that will keep her busy for hours. A few of my nieces and nephews have iTouches and they love them.

If you go that route get her an Otterbox for the iTouch. She WILL drop it. Saved my nephew's more than once. :newpalm:

15. jigwashere

My daughter is 6 1/2 and has been the primary use of the iTouch for quite some time (my wife barely used it). I'll look at the Otterbox. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

16. internetpilot

My two younger boys love reading books on my Acer tablet because even though they're reading, at least they're still touching something electronic. Plus, it means they can leave their class book at school instead of bringing it home every day in the backpack (because one paperback book apparently makes ALL the difference in the WORLD!).

I wasn't going to give them a Google account -- I was just going to sign them into mine as-needed. They don't need one for most things they'll be doing on a daily basis. You can use Titanium Backup and "freeze" and/or remove pretty much whatever app you want (including the internet browser). Or you could always just manually assign an IP to the tablet, and then limit his time online through your home router's parental features (assuming your router of choice has those features -- most do).

17. internetpilot

Any thoughts on whether or not to put a screen protector on the NookColor? My boys are pretty careful with touchscreens, and haven't messed up my Acer (yet), but my Acer has gorilla glass which does a pretty good job against the every day abuse. I'll probably put one on the NookColors unless someone here knows a reason why I shouldn't.

I got them each a Neoprene pouch for storing it. I'm toying with the idea of getting a ruggedized skin type case for them, but I know the NookColor is already rather sturdy since it's a reader. These ruggedized cases are rather pricey, and it's not like they're going to have free reign with these NC's anyway, playing with them in gravel pits, and dragging them through sandpaper, etc. Accidents can and will happen, but they've each had a Nintendo DSi XL's for almost a year now with no always-on case (just a "leather" pouch case), and they're both still in like-new shape.

Decisions...decisions....

18. brickman65

IP, you could look at something like Zagg InvisaShield. Not exactly cheap but great for scratches at stuff without adding bulk.

19. internetpilot

Ugh -- sorry, but ATTEMPTING to put a Zagg screen savers/shield on my oldest son's iPad was the worst experience I have ever had with screen protector. I ended up peeling it off the same day, putting it back in the packaging, and returning it to the store. Frankly, I can't believe that Zagg is still is business.

Sorry -- please don't read this as an attack on your recommendation. It's just it was a REALLY BAD experience....haha. ;)

20. brickman65

:D :D No worries! I feel about the same way. Tried it one time on my iPhone..... What a disaster that was!:p I just figured it was my ineptness that was the problem. :D