Internet Hotsync with 755p (and TX)

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by jigwashere, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I have a static IP through my ISP. Is it possible to hotsync remotely?

I'm able to remotely control my PC using PalmVNC with both my TX and my 755p. I've forwarded ports 5800 and 5900.

With the TX, there is a network sync option, and I can plug in the IP address, but I still can't make the hotsync connection. I've tried IP:port, too.

With the 755p, there is no network sync option: only local and modem. With modem, there is a virtual modem option which look promising, but that's not working, either. (BTW, I've found absolutely no information about "virtual modem" in the manual).

Is this possible?

2. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

I have never done it, but a Google search for "palm hotsync over internet" gets 211,000 hits and the first few are How-to's.

Have fun :newpalm:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thanks, Josser. I've been checking out those How-to's with no success yet. I'll try to report back later with my progress (i.e., what I've tried). It doesn't look like there are quick/easy answers for this.

Since I no longer have a home WiFi network, I miss wireless hotsyncing. If I can get this working for my TX, great. If I can get it working for my 755p, even better! :)

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Okay, everyone, let's all do the Internet Hotsync Happy Dance of Joy! I finally got this working with my Treo 755p.

I was so darn frustrated after following the steps from various websites and it still didn't work. At least 2 things tripped me up: I somehow goofed up on modem sync preferences and I fat-fingered the IP address when I did the port forwarding. I nearly gave up, but a glass of 10-year old Glenmorangie helped a lot :D.

Here's the source that helped the most: pdaphonehome 'HotSync over the Internet'

I happened to forward ports 14237 & 14238 as both TCP and UDP.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I need to add a bit to step 5 in the phone setup section in the previous post. Under Available Connections, there wasn't anything for Direct Serial, so I created a new connection, called it 'Direct Serial' and configured it to connect to PC via Serial.

While I have a fairly fast internet connection at home, and Sprint's data service seems fast, the hotsync isn't terribly fast. In the Treo's hotsync app, under Options, I selected 'Conduit Setup' and unchecked quite a few boxes to limit the data I'm syncing.

One problem I have with internet hotsync on my home PC is that after I hotsync with Lotus Notes at work, MS Outlook conduit pops-up an 'Are You Sure' box that I need to respond to. Apparently they want to warn me that I synced with another PIM. If I can't figure out a way to shut this off, I might just go back to Palm Desktop (which is probably better for me).

On one of the forums I read to research this little project, someone asked why anyone would want to hotsync over the internet. It's a legitimate question. The first reason, for me, is simply because I can. I was fairly certain it was possible, and therefore I wanted to make it happen. The second is because I liked to wirelessly hotsync my TX and wanted the same capability with my Treo. This is an improvement on what I was able to do with the TX since I can now hotsync from outside my home network. I want to figure out how to do this with my TX, too, because at the moment, I don't have a home wireless network (I have Minneapolis city-wide WiFi, so can get on the internet with my TX at home).

The big question that I haven't seen answered: how big a security hole does this open up? I'm not using VPN.

6. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Great info that I have bookmarked for later referal.

About the security...

The other night on the TV news, they had an unidentified computer security consultant (hacker), sitting outside a Star Bucks with a laptop with WiFi. He was capturing everyones personal data that swiped a credit card for a purchase. The details he got was amazing, he even got the mother's maiden name answer for those online banking security questions.

So my guess is that the right guy can get all your data no matter what you do.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I want to give this old thread a bit of a bump. When on the road and unable to download something directly to my 755p to install it, I use PalmVNC to connect to my home computer, download it there, then remotely install it via Hotsync. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.