Internal Memory

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by goldbuddy, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldbuddy

goldbuddy Newbie

I would like the mobile experts over here to clarify my doubt regarding the internal memory of mobile phones.

The internal memory differs from phone to phone in nokia or any other brand for that matter. For instance, the memory in Nokia C5-03 is mere 40 MB whereas in Nokia C7, it is a whopping 8 GB. My question is this: whether browsing the internet and zooming on webpages is affected by the amount of internal memory? Also, what difference does it make to a user of a phone with a 40 MB memory and an 8 GB memory if his main use is browsing the net.

Kindly clarify in detail the implications of the internal memory of mobile phones.

2. KSD

KSD From 6 f under to zombie

as far as i understand for browsing there is no difference. Just means you need a micro SD card to store more information. The biggest thing for browsing is the screen size and processor. Also memory speeds can also very but you can't tell what the speeds are without testing them. Also ram can effect browsing especially if your using tabs or several windows.

I am sure someone else can better clarify for you.

3. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

On cell phones with browsers, part of the memory is used as random access memory, or RAM, and the rest is used as storage, standard flash memory. Browsing requires RAM, to hold the web pages, the OS, the browser, etc. The more available, the faster the browsing will be. If the web pages and other data has to be written to an external SD, things will be very slow, because flash memory writes are slow, especially when bottlenecked through a USB interface. Having more memory means a faster browsing experience, just as it does on a PC. Paging memory to storage, and reading it back, is always slow, and the more paging required, the slower everything runs. A device with 40MB is going to be slow for pretty much everything. The phones with 8GB of memory, or more, don't have that much RAM, though, it's mostly flash memory, which is used as storage, like a hard drive or an SD card. It's faster than an external card because the bus is wider, but slower than RAM. The short answer is that more memory is always better, no matter the device.

4. KSD

.....some phones internal memory is slower than SD cards ......so going to a SD card can speed it up with your notion. My tablets have memory speeds of 5-10MBps my SD card is 15-20MBps read and 5-12MBps write.....so your statement is not accurate. You would have to test the phones first to be sure

EDIT: i reread your post and he is talking about internal flash not ram. 40mb vs 8g so as i said:

1: most importantly is the cpu. Cell phones are very slow so typically the cpu will be the first bottle neck
    2. ram....which phone has more ram.
    after those 2 things you have 3 which is least important. If both phones have the exact same thing than number 3 comes into play but it has very little effect unless your working with 256 and less ram
    3 is internal flash...the least likely bottleneck

Nokia C5-03 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nokia C7-00 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the c7 has a slightly faster cpu and i think more ram so the c7 will be faster because of 1 and 2...3 will have little effect. Also i would say a marginally faster experience...maybe 10-15% faster

a semi modern anroid phone will run laps around these two phones. The original droid is like twice as fast.

5. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

:rolleyes:

6. KSD

.....ok and...???

7. goldbuddy

goldbuddy Newbie

Thanks a lot for throwing some light on my doubts regarding memory of mobile phones. Does this imply that if I am just looking to browsing the internet on my mobile phone, I will have to check if the phone has enough RAM and not just large storage memory? And how much is "recommended RAM" so that I get a smooth browsing experience? Because I would like to decide between the C7 and the C5-03...the difference in price is big enough. Will the web pages hang in C5-03 because of the lower memory?
    Thanks in advance for clarifications.

8. KSD

i would say it will hang do to the slow processor than anything else.

But i honestly am not sure....never touched these. I know my E71x is fairly slow but your is faster than my e71x so you should be alright. Just the stats between my e71x and those 2 phones on wikipedia.org Also get opera mobile...best broswer ever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_E71
    well i just looked this up and yours should run much faster than mine. Browsing should be fairly smooth i think. As long as its not heavy graphics page.

edit well both should work fine but i would still go with an android phone over this personally. The original droid phone is way better in my eyes personally.

9. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

I don't really know enough about Nokias to make a recommendation. It depends on the OS as well as the hardware. I assume the Nokias are running Symbian, and I've never used a Symbian phone.

10. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

If you're running Symbian S60, just install apps to the SD card. That option will always pop up when you install apps from the Ovi Store or directly from the browser.

The native Symbian browser is a stinker, so you're best bet is to download Opera Mini from the Ovi Store and install it on the SD card where it will also cache there.

11. KSD

get atleast a class 6 SD card

12. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Do you have a reason why, KSD?

13. KSD

the apps will load faster and install faster by using class 6 cards. Also class 6 cards are about the same cost as 2 and 4 depending on the brand you buy so their is no reason to not get atleast a class 6. I personally would get a class 10 over class 6. Also note i have seen class 6s have better latency than class 10, which will affect IO flops and small transfers. I use my class 6 as Win 7 ready boost because it has .3ms over .7ms as my class 10 has. Now i have seen that 2/2 for class 6 over my one class 10 so that is a very small group to make a group assumption but figured you might want to know. When i get out and get a new phone i'll be getting a class 10 16 gig. I'll probably get a class 10 for my tablet too. The biggest reason getting that too is because when your transferring stuff it really helps transferring at 10-18MBps for a class 10 over 8-15MBps for a class 6....now both of those are far faster than their respected class group but that has been my luck with transcend cards (aka the cheapest good rated company on newegg ^^) I ussually stick with adata and transcend brand because they tend to work well and are cheap. If your using a class 2 or 4 card going from 2-8MBps that'll take forever to transfer files. Worth an extra 2-5 bucks lol. 2 gig files transfered at 4 MBps for class 2 or 4 or using a class 6 or 10 transferring at 10MBps.....pick your weapon....i'll go with the faster one in a heart beat. 2.5 times faster? I think you see my point

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6209 600006234&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Pagesize=50

that is the list of 16g microSD cards from newegg. The A-Data ones are out of stock as you can see but from what i can tell those look really good. I haven't used A-Data for SD cards yet but those seem to be well prices and well spected with good reviews. Those are at least the ones i will buy when i get around to it. 2 bucks a gig is not bad at all.

14. NetBrakr

Just fyi, we aren't talking regular computers here, we are talking about mobile devices. All are my SD are class 2 (SanDisk), and works fine and fast on my devices. I used to have Transcend Class 6, I did a comparison sometime ago, I didn't noticed any differences between class 2 and class 6 on my phone.

However, yes, I saw a difference between them on my laptop, but again, we aren't talking about computers.

15. KSD

when i say SD i am referring to micro SD....just ebing lazy...thought it was obvious because we are talking aobut cell phones. All those speed tests and links are to micro sd and are synthetic tests and real world transfers done by computer to card reader/computer to cellphone/android speedtest app. so all of this is applicable to cell phones/tabs

EDIT: you go buy a class 2 card and transfer movies to your cell phone in a hurry and tell me there is no difference. for a 2 gigs of files at 4MBps will talk ~5mins. Compared to 10MBps is about 3 mins and realisticly it'll be at 15MBps so about 2 mins. I'll take 2mins over 5+

16. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

I rarely watch transfers on my computer. I usually have other things I'm doing at the same time. 2 min. 5 min. Doesn't really make much difference in the real world. ;)

17. KSD

i also was counting just 2 gigs.....if you get a larger card think of 8 gigs of transfer. 8 mins or 20mins? That is a big difference and when it comes to smaller files it gets horrifically worse....like my spelling without spell check :p

Edit either way for 5 bucks more you cna get a class 6 or 10....worth it.

18. NetBrakr

KSD, that is what I meant by computers. Transfer files from computer to SD/microSD. We aren't talking about computer transfer.

Like Drillbit said,

If you're running Symbian S60, just install apps to the SD card. That option will always pop up when you install apps from the Ovi Store or directly from the browser.

This doesn't matter what speed you have.

When running apps from class 2, it always smooth. Like me, I have isilo and got a 8 mb document on a SD. When I open it, no lags, again speed doesnt matter.

You got what I am trying to say?

19. KSD

i getcha....maybe android is more demanding but from my crappy tablet i can see apps load faster from my SD card than the internal one. But yea just for apps and nothing else the difference is trivial for the most part.