Interesting article on WebOS and TouchPad...

Discussion in 'webOS' started by Varjak, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Deleted by user.

2. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

I really felt like the article just drew a ridiculous conclusion. The problem was hardware and not OS that killed off Palm. The TP is really a very fine tablet all around and suffered only from lack of support and a foolish pricing structure.

On Palm, Palm lacked the money to make a clear winner on the hardware front. Bad press from lack of sales on a small carrier developed its own inertia.
    Palm moved glacially at releasing the Pre and then at expanding its product line.

WebOS was viewed as the only thing worth saving from the rubble of Palm's self-destruction. And it was saved by a man who had proved visionary in his leadership at HP. Mark Hurd had "pulled off one of the great rescue missions in American corporate history, refocusing the strife-ridden company and leading it to five years of revenue gains and a stock that soared 130 percent" (per the NYT)

WebOS died as a supportable product when Mark Hurd was fired. The story is that. Leo was overmatched by the job and didn't understand the market. He took forever to get a product out and he drove away the remaining talent who understood the quality of WebOS.

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

I think there is something to that article, but it's sort of late. Every phone OS launches as a web apps based OS. Even the iPhone started out that way. webOS managed to transition to native apps but as the "also ran" player on the block, few developers took an interest so the criticism of being a slow OS based on the web is oversimplified but still relevant. This is why even though my fingers hovered over my keyboard, I didn't reply when I read the OP on 1/3.