Installation of cab files throws errors

Discussion in 'General Windows Phone (Plus Windows Mobile, Pocket' started by bgrimes24, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgrimes24

bgrimes24 Mobile Enthusiast

Hi. I just recently purchased an HTC Pro Touch2 from T-Mobile running WinMo 6.5. That being said, I have not been able to open any cab files on the device to install some software. Basically I'll transfer the cab to the device and attem:mad: pt to open it. I get one of three messages depenidng on the app I guess. the most basic is "Installation was unsuccessful" to "Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting...not digitally signed...trusted certificate" (this was from MobileFTPClient). Installing Opera Mini 5 gives a simple: "Installation of mini5wm.cab was unsuccessful".

Ok, so being a software developer for 10 years I've been looking into some registry values and can't seem to find what I need to get anything to install. If I download from the Windows Marketplace that's all good, but nothing else.

What do I need to do to be able to install cab flils directly? Honestly if I can't get this to work this phone is going back. I moved from an iPhone to this phone specifically so I can install apps and monkey around with the device, but so far I'm done before I started.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

2. AZ-TE

AZ-TE Audiophile

I wish I could be of help. I use a cooked 6.5 ROM with no problems. The only suggestion I can make is, in addition to this great forum, hit up the people at XDA-Dev if you have not already.

3. bgrimes24

Right on thanks, I did just that. Here's to hoping that I'll be using Opera Mini at some point today.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Typically, when I get those errors, it means I've chosen a version for windows smartphone rather than pocket pc. The version you want is for touchscreens.

I think you have the right version of Opera Mini selected, by the way. Perhaps you need to install .Net Compact Framework 3.5.

5. bgrimes24

I'll try that ASAP since it makes total sense to me. I just figured that since 3.5 has been established for what...2 years...that the phone whould have that pre-loaded. I'll try it shortly, thanks.

6. bgrimes24

So I installed 3.5 (not sure if it was on there or not) and I get the same failure on the Opera Mini install. I'm using the Resco Explorer 2010 and now when I click on the cab file, I get Open | Open With | and wceload. Any ideas?

7. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Did you do a hard reset?

Honestly, you might try the easiest explanation first-- a bad phone (messed up ROM, whatever). I'd exchange it and see if you get the problem with the replacement and go from there.

Although I haven't seen anyone here with a T-Mobile TP2 before, there are a bunch of TP2 folks here and none of them are having this problem.

Just my 2 cents. I don't have much experience with WinMo.

8. jigwashere

What's confusing is that when you install from Marketplace, it works. I wouldn't suspect a problem with the phone if you can install some apps and don't experience any issues using the phone. I could be wrong, but that's not the first thing that comes to mind.

Which other apps are you trying to install?

Try installing some apps from this site, "Software worth installing on the TP2," and see what happens.

9. bgrimes24

So...weird; Opera Mini and Weather Bug (well known apps) wouldn't install, but some SMS notification disable cab installed (from the xda site) as did Evernote (evernote.com). I have no clue what the deal is, but it's getting beyond stupid that I can't install just any cab file.

10. bgrimes24

11. jigwashere

12. bgrimes24

ah, you're right. Earlier I installed the sdkcerts.cab with no noticeable difference in the errors. So I guess that cab plus the PowerToy did it?

13. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Welcome to Brighthand, bgrimes24! :D

Hopefully you've got it all sorted now. Just FWIW, though: I've never had any issues installing anything on my unlocked, HTC branded (non-carrier branded) TP2. Makes me wonder if the T-Mo version has some sort of "control" installed. Not sure why a WM5 PowerToy would make a difference.

Of course, I'm still relatively new to WM, so I'm mostly speculation. I just know that I've had no issues installing commercial apps, freeware apps, or custom tweaks from xda-devs. I've never installed anything from the Windows Phone Marketplace (never even looked at it on my device) - These have all been purely from 3rd parties.

Best of luck!

Joe