Inserting a pause - Treo 680 Phone.app contacts list

Discussion in 'Treo 680' started by frozennorth, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frozennorth

frozennorth Newbie

Hi there,

Is there any way to add a pause and an extension to phone numbers in the Treo 680's Phone app Contact list?

In my motorola SLVR it's: 555-555-1212 p1234 to automatically dial a phone number, pause, and then continue dialing the extension.

But on my Treo 680 , I've tried:
    555-555-1212 p1234
    555-555-1212 x1234
    555-555-1212#1234
    555-555-1212,1234

In every case, when I look up the Contact in the Phone app, I don't see the extension, ust the first 10 digits. And when I dial, the dialing stops after the first 10 digits.

I'm looking for a general solution -- I've got too many corporate numbers in my Phone app Contact list that include an extensions to make all of them favorites.

Failing a solution from Palm, is there a 3rd party solution?

thanks!!

2. frantid

frantid nav

Have you tried unchecking the use North American dialing under dial preferences?

3. frozennorth

frozennorth Newbie

Hi frantid,

Unchecking North American Dial Preferences, just makes

555-555-1212 p1234 in the contacts list

show up as

instead of
    555-555-1212

As I said when I go to the Treo 680 Phone app and look up a contact, all I see is the first 10 digits. No sign of the extension, so I can't even dial it by hand. If I select a contact and press Edit, then I can see all the Contact fields, including the extension in the phone field. But I can't dial from there.

It seems absurd that a late 2006 Quad world phone, like the Treo 680, cannot dial a normal business number with an extension: 555-555-1212 x1234

Yes one could individually copy each number from the contacts list and enter it as a favourite and then click 'more' to enter the extension. But this is not synced with the Palm Desktop, and impractical if one has 100's business numbers (each with an extension) in their contacts list.

Searching the Palm and Brighthand forums, it seems that Treos like the 600 and the 650 can't dial business numbers from their contact lists, as the forums are full of folks suggesting that they copy these numbers into favorites and use the 'more' button for each to dial the extension.

Yet my $100 Motorola SLVR has no problem with 555-555-1212p1234, inserting a pause before dialing the extension. Nor did my even older Nokia 6340.

I find it hard to believe that treo 600 and 650's can't dial business numbers, yet the complete absence of 'how to enter a pause in a phone number in the contacts app' for their manuals suggests, this is true. And the Treo 680 merely carries on this bizarre omission.

thanks!

4. frantid

frantid nav

5. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

From the manual it appears this can only be done from within Favorites (comma for 1 sec pause, multiple commas for multiple seconds, p for 3-sec pause).
    If you really need this ability, I am afraid you will have to revert to 3th party solutions :(

PS Welcome to BrightHand, frozennorth :D:D:D

6. frozennorth

frozennorth Newbie

Unfortunately this $US 16, 3rd-party software, CallCards, doesn't solve the problem that the Treo 680 CAN'T DIAL A SIMPLE BUSINESS NUMBER WITH A PAUSE AND EXTENSION FROM YOUR CONTACTS DATABASE.

Say Mary Smith is one of dozens of contacts at Company X that you work with. You store Mary Smith's number in your PC and synchronize it with your Treo. Your Contacts database now shows: Mary Smith (555) 555-1212 x1234.

But when you go to dial Mary Smith using the Treo 680's Phone App, it does NOT DISPLAY Mary's extension, nor will it dial it. It'll dial (555) 555-1212 and leave you there, without Mary's extension. And you can't even read it, and dial it manually, as Phone App won't display the extension at all --- even though it's entered in your Contacts database!?

IF you add the $US 16 CallCards to your Treo 680, all that happens is that when you now use the Treo 680's Phone App to call Mary Smith, your Treo still dials only the main number with NO extension, and then CallCards kicks in and presents a list of every contact it finds in your Contact database that has the same main number. In the meantime, your call has been placed to the main number and may either drop or forward to a switchboard, so you better be very fast while you're looking through multiple screens of (555) 555-1234 entries from your Contacts database that CallCards has found. And you may not find her, as there seems to be a limit to how many (555) 555-1212 entries CallCards can display.

Argh!! How can Palm sell a business phone in 2007 that CANNOT DIAL a simple BUSINESS NUMBER with a PAUSE and and EXTENSION?

PALM PLEASE ADD SUPPORT FOR PAUSE AND EXTENSION TO THE PHONE APP. It's already supported for manually added favorites -- just copy the same code to the PHONE APP.

thank you

7. frantid

frantid nav

sorry i don't use the other software, i just searched around

try takephone, this one looks more like what you want

http://www.shsh.com/

8. egoldy

egoldy Newbie

Hey --

I was looking for the same thing for my Treo 755p and tried Call Cards which "works", but (to the original poster's point), it brings up a list, doesn't just dial the extension.

However, the software listed above "TakePhone" (by the same company actually) is perfect.. Not only does it do the extension piece - it's a nice replacement for the phone / address book piece.. Works very very nicely...

Thanks for posting that -- been one of my biggest complaints as I've had my Treo 650 and now my 755p...

E

9. TAKEphONE

TAKEphONE Mobile Deity

Hi all,

Version 1.61 (010) posted at www.shsh.com/beta

- Added buttons in "Simple" call-cards tab to allow editing of larger
    "replace with..." fields.

This is a pre-release.

Thanks.

10. Ron-K

Ron-K Mobile Enthusiast

I had that problem and called Palm. ANSWER. Refer to your manual and set up each number with a pause or extension AS A FAVORITE! You cannot insert a coma or P(ause) to someone in your contact list. You must create a favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.