Initial Release of Pimlical for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Just FYI, the developer is aware of the custom color issues, and said he'd correct them in the next version.

Speaking of which, Pimlical/A v1.0.10 has been posted!

2. Guilden_NL

Guilden_NL The Penguin Rules

As a nearly 10 yr user of DateBk, I have been extremely disappointed with PimlicalA on my Android phones. It requires a significant amount of open memory, so if you're running a few apps in the background it fails with the message "PimlicalA needs to be relaunched" whereby it just dies. It doesn't run on a MyTouch3g at all. Even with all services but the critical few shut down. Of course this is a low memory version of the Magic, but c'mon, why's it need so much memory? Even Angry Birds works on this phone, albeit slowly. And yes, I did try v1.0.10 and it actually crashed more than .08 and .09.

On my N1, I keep getting PimlicalA database errors. The error messages flash too fast to read and it dies. I've tried to go out to the support mess on Yahoo, but the two angry mods there don't allow much conversation, and the Yahoo Groups board doesn't allow for search of like issues and potential fixes.

So I deleted it and am glad that my $4.99 went to a good cause, but have written off DateBk as a happy memory from my Palm days. Calendar Snooze got my business as did GTasks. With those two apps and the stock Google Calendar, I pretty much have everything covered that DateBk did.

3. Guilden_NL

I specifically brought that up with CESD; unfortunately there are two mods (one very much so) that do not like anything newer than 1995. He goes on about CompuServe forums (yes, I moderated a few there, and moderate a 5,400 user form today that sends emails to the right people based on the correct criteria - exactly what CESD prefers) and stifles any discussion about moving to a modern forum that can send CESD emails like the old email lists some of us subscribed to years back.

I have less time today to devote to troubleshooting apps, so if the answer isn't right there in front of me, I drop the app and never look back. See my prior post - that's what I am doing with PimlicalA after nearly 10 yrs with CESD's products.

Thank you for mentioning this here. I hate to be snarky with CESD, but those folks are killing his business and he should take stock of whether he wants to stick with old customers like us, or old (ahem was going to use a word for passing gas :D ) Yahoo Group mods like them.

BTW I have been a member here on Brighthand from 2004. But I couldn't recover my old userID that had to do with my TungstenW that I was using when I joined.

4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Welcome (back) to Brighthand, G_NL. :)

Strangely, I haven't had that many performance issues with Pimlical/A on my Nexus One, but I don't really push it-- currently I have about 100 records. However, I think I am finally leaving it behind. The main reason I like it, having never been a Datebk user, is it does one thing no other Calendar app does-- tricks Google Calendar into having floats (they "float" each day when you sync).

However, I find some of CESD non-standard UI choices to be hard to use (maybe I'd feel differently if I used all the features of Pimlical). And things like using a bitmap for Agenda View and non-standard scrolling is just odd. As far as a calendar apps go, so many Calendar apps have popped up in the past 6 months it is hard to choose between them. They key for the future is the integration of other PIMs.

I don't know how you put up with the stock Calendar even with a good alarm add-on. I at least would have to go to a Calendar with a decent week view. When I first got my NI, I went to Calendar Pad Pro.

I've decided that Pocket Informant is my best gamble on the future. Right now, it is little more than a calendar app also, which makes it unremarkable. However, the UI controls are nice and they have committed to going to direct (probably wireless) sync to Outlook which is what I want most. They also, then, should be integrating other PIM functionality. They claim in 2-3 years you could have a product that has the best features of PI for WM.

It doesn't do floats to Google Calendar, but it will give me floating tasks that appear on the Calendar on the handheld.

The final straw for me was a CS problem --a lack of response and then a bizarre claim that it might be on purpose, kind of like a Microsoft feature. I tried to just let it go, but I guess my enthusiasm was already waning.

So I'm back to PI. It's not perfect either, but it seems workable and going in the right direction (for me).

And, yes, I know... not the first time I've gone back and forth. :rolleyes:

5. Guilden_NL

From a Palm perspective, DateBk was elegant and had an elegant appearance. PimlicalA has a very DOS look to me, and though I am not showing my calendar off in public, it was a real drop back in time and a bit of a put off.

I just haven't found any calendar apps that I can accept today. Google's basic function on the Net and on Android is awful. Same goes for Contacts - you can't see a contact via search if it is a company! Seems the Googites all go by first name and don't do business with anyone. It's a pathetic attempt at functionality Palm had down flat 14 years ago.

iPhone is the same, hate their versions too. So perhaps webOS will bring something competitive to the market that will light a fire under the Googites. My son is going into Apps Engineering this Fall and does some tinkering with Android development. I've pointed him to the Contacts area as the first to attack, then Calendar and integrate the two like many apps did with Palm years ago - DateBk being one of them.

6. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Okay, I feel better now. I thought I was the only one that was calendar hopping... :)

I do concur with some points here; I hate to admit that I am a bit dissatisfied with the UI. I have been satisfied with Business Calendar, and I am considering buying a license, but I am waiting on reading the feedback.

Might check out PI again, or give Jorte a try.

*sigh* I'm gonna have to start scheduling my calendar app searches. Ironic.

7. internetpilot

Um...would anyone else consider it awkward if I posted that Pimlical/A v1.0.11 has been released? ;) hahaha

Sigh.

I've been trying and I'm still trying to stay with Pimlical, but it is getting difficult.

I don't think I need to say anything more about the Yahoo Groups than what G_NL already quoted from me. I still don't like them, and find them completely unreliable. I think the fact that there are 1/2 dozen applications out there that will convert a Yahoo Group message by message to any number of dedicated forum scripts says it all.

I do not like what happened to Hook (and numerous others) regarding the distribution of updates. For some reason, I've always gotten the updates rather quickly, but knowing now that the releases are purposely spread out, that's just not right. Hook had posted that it was good to know what was actually going on, but I think that information was better left unsaid.

I'm using very basic functions of Pimlical/A -- basically just a daily schedule, some with alarms. Given that, I'm a little surprised about all the troubles that I've had. I mean, the stock Android calendar is ugly and tedious, but I never had any problems entering an appointment and setting an alarm. With v1.0.10 and now v1.0.11, I get this message popping up like every 10 minutes (whether I'm running Pimlical/A or not) that says something like, "Advancing Floating Events". Really? I don't have any. And even if I did, I don't think they need to be advanced ever 10 minutes, right? I'm surfing the internet and right in the middle of something I get "Advancing Floating Events" in the middle of my screen? Not good. And it doesn't matter whether I back out of Pimlical (which is the standard Android way to "close" the app) or press the home button or whatever. Even if I reboot and do not ever go into Pimlical/A, I still get that message every 10 minutes. What's that doing to my battery?

This is a problem I had with Datebk, too -- why do the settings have to seem so techie? I mean, I feel like I'm compiling code every time I have to look for and change a setting. I think this goes back to Hook's complaint about the unusual UI. Although it may seem familiar to a Datebk user (like me), it doesn't mean that I like it. Datebk was first released like a decade ago. I think it's time to step up to a modern UI, including the settings menu. I mean, can you ever see this app in the iTunes App Store?

I gotta tell you, the HTC Sense "stock" calendar isn't all that bad. Add a front end to it like Touch Calendar, and it's very usable. So usable that Touch Calendar is still installed, and has been even after installing and "deciding upon" Pimlical/A. But if I see that "Advancing Floating Events" (which I don't have any) one more time, I'm likely to advance Pimlical/A right off my phone, and just go back to Touch Calendar.

I think it might be time to research some more calendar apps. I don't need much. I'd like icons, I'd like custom colors (not defined by which Google Calendar the appointment is in), and reliable alarms. I don't think that's asking for much.

I'm disillusioned.

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I said it was good to know based on the information that he also gave indicating that all links would be sent out that day. Didn't happen. Version 1.0.11 has come out, no link. I sent a third formal request, following the directions carefully (as I had each time), no link. Yeah, I know how to get the .apk anyway, but that's not the point.

It is no longer good to know.

And, I'm done.

9. internetpilot

Yeah, I think I'm pretty much done, too. Right after reading the latest posts in this thread and generated from my own experiences, I did a quick Market search as well as Google search for "Best calendar app for Android". There are a lot more choices now than there was just a few months ago.

I ended up with CalenGoo. It satisfies all of my (rather basic) calendar requirements and then some. I've just been messing with it for a couple hours this evening, and I already have everything configured exactly the way I want it, my calendars imported/sync'ed, custom alarms, custom icons, etc. No overly technical configuration menus, no non-standard UI, etc.

It's much nicer looking than Pimlical/A with a more standard Android UI. It also syncs the Google "Event Flair" icons, and you can even import your own (which I did -- all my old Datebk icons), and I was able to do custom icons without having to buy a $20 desktop version that I would never use again after converting the icons. Go figure. ;)

I don't have any problem with importing/syncing my entire calendar and being able to scroll through it (no memory errors). I've never understood why that was a problem with Pimlical/A, but I'm not a career programmer, even though I have dabbled from time to time as a career network engineer.

CalenGoo uses a standalone database that syncs with both the local Android Calendar as well as the Google Calendar. With my HTC Sense-based phone, it can also sync with Outlook via HTC Sync, and can also sync with Exchange.

I can set multiple alarms for the same event, and the alarms can be anything -- a standard system alarm, notification, MP3, etc. It also has the ability to handle its own snoozing or you can use the Android Calendar snooze feature (or both).

I don't use Tasks, but it seems to be very well implemented in CalenGoo. I briefly looked through the settings and I was impressed. It looks like it offers a sort-of float feature in that any overdue task will be displayed on "Today". You can set the overdue tasks to change color or if you just wanted it to "float", you can also set it not to change color. I know it syncs with Google Tasks, but I'm not sure if it can also sync with Outlook via HTC Sync or not (again, I don't and probably won't use the tasks feature).

It offers some nice looking and fairly configurable widgets. Looks like I might be getting rid of Pimlical/A and Touch Calendar (which I've been primarily using for the widgets, but also as a backup in case Pimlical/A cr@ps out).

CalenGoo is a little pricey at $6, and the money isn't going toward a nice project like endangered mountain gorillas, but it's well worth the $ to me for the refined, well-featured calendar you get. I think I will keep tabs on the Pimlical/A development, but probably only check in from time to time. When directly ompared to CalenGoo, Pimlical/A has a lot of bugs and design to work out.

10. internetpilot

Hook, I hope you didn't take my post wrong -- I didn't mean that what you posted in response to CESD would've been better left unsaid. I meant that CESD explaining that he was purposely delaying the release announcement across his customer database was something that was better left unsaid.

I thought you took that explanation overly well. I would've said a lot more using much more "colorful" language if I was going through the same thing you were with this app and received that as the explanation. That burned my attitude and I was relatively unaffected by his "strategy".

On a side note, I just continue to find feature after feature in CalenGoo that "couldn't be done" in Pimlical/A because of "limitations with Android".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.