Initial Release of Pimlical for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Cool app. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out. :)

2. Delpita

Delpita Woooooo-Hoooooo!

In about 3 weeks, I'll be eligible for a new phone upgrade, and I must say, I am SUPER excited! I went from my Treo 755p to Blackberry Tour (I plead: 'Temporary insanity'!!). And I can't wait to trade my Tour for an Android! I have been lost without this calendar!

3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

After using both Pimlical/A and Pocket Informant Beta side-by-side for several weeks, I have to confess I think I am going to end up with Pocket Informant (though I will continue using both for now).

For my purposes, there is not a huge difference between the two. Not being a former Datebk user, I really don't use some of the deeper complexity of Pimlical. PI now does floats (untimed tasks will now appear on the current day in the Calendar). And at this point, I find PIs more standard use of the Android UI to be more intuitive. In the future, PI has committed to syncing with Outlook, which I want. I'm also a little concerned about CESD announcing he is going to go to giving Pimlical/A it's own database to solve some of the deeper limitations of the Android Calendar database. This is probably good for Datebk6 users as he probably is really going to be able to offer a truly full featured calendar, but unless it can still get the right information to the standard Android Calendar Db, other programs may not be able to use the data as easily. I suspect CESD will bridge the databases, but it makes me nervous.

The downside of PI is that tasks sync with Toodledo, adding and additional sync target that isn't integrated and although they appear on the calendar in PI, they don't appear on the Google Calendar. That's okay, though, I can live with that.

I've already paid for Pimlical/A, so I will continue to update it and compare it to PI. It's mostly the Outlook thing that will probably cement the PI choice.

Both are excellent programs.

4. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

I have been using both, and to be honest, have gravitated back to PI little by little. One thing that I have preferred is the Toodledo sync; many times, I have had the need to input a task right from my desktop/laptop, and I like the functionality.

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

FYI, Pimlical for Android v1.0.8 has been released.

6. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

I have gravitated towards Business Calendar (did someone mention this earlier?) and like it a great deal.

I also use Astrid with Producteev (online sync; I can email or "chat" in tasks now). I am in love.

Still have Pimlical around. All the space makes me a bit greedy.

7. internetpilot

FYI, Pimlical for Android v1.0.9 has been released.

8. reinbeau

reinbeau Mobile Deity

I get around the widget thing by using Pure Calendar Widget (for the Agenda view) in the 3x4 size, and the Pimlical icon right next to the widget. CESD is planning on incorporating widgets, but probably not until the main functionality is settled.

9. internetpilot

I do the same thing with the TouchCalendar widget, and don't even mind that tapping on the TouchCalendar widget goes to TouchCalendar instead of Pimlical/A because TouchCalendar offers a rather nice zoom-based view, so it's good for a quick check of calendar availability, etc., since it's not view-based. If TouchCalendar offered more robust features like Pimlical/A, TouchCalendar would've been my DateBk replacement for Android. As it is, I really like using both -- Pimlical/A for indepth calendar setup/organization, but TouchCalendar for quick, overall viewing of calendar availability and quick individual appointment input.

It's nice that all Android calendars go to the Google Calendars so you can use multiple different calendar apps if you like some of the features of one over the others.

10. internetpilot

Just FYI, it seems that with that wonderful new feature of changing the foreground and background color via Select Calendar in Pimlical/A that a conflict/bug in changing the colors has been introduced. Now changing colors via individual appointments doesn't seem to always take (even after refreshing calendars), and regardless of how you set the colors (individual appointments or Select Calendars), the color settings are not the same across all the various Views. All timed (versus untimed) events convert to black foreground and white background when using Week and List views.

Sent a problem report into CESD. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.