Initial Release of Pimlical for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Sorry -- I edited my post while you were replying (about already searching the Yahoo Groups).

I did import my Datebk6 icons into Pimlical/D back when I installed the evaluation, but now that Pimlical/A was finally released, my desktop eval has expired. To be honest, though, I'm just flat out not seeing a way to do it. They talk about an "export button" that I don't (and never did) see, so I'm suspecting it's no longer visible due to the eval expiring, but don't know for sure. It could just be that I never noticed it because I wasn't looking for it because Pimlical/A didn't exist back then.

I'm a little surprised that the icon database is such a proprietary format that it can't be edited outside of Pimlical/D.

Oh, well. I'll just have to wait to pretty things up.

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

It might be that your version is too old. By the way, I find if I get rid of the Pimlical folder under windows username/applications/ it lets me reinstall without the trial being expired.

I just reinstalled the version linked on the download page for Pimlical/A and there is a selection on the option menu called "icon management" which gives you a window with import and export buttons. I think this version of Pimlical was set up with exporting for Pimlical/A in mind.

Edit: See if this is of any help. I did a search on "export icons" to find it.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pimlical/message/14317

3. internetpilot

Yes, I saw that post in the Yahoo Groups but found it via Google search and read it via a portal. You can search the Yahoo Groups for the same words 5 times in a row and not always get the same results....haha.

Anyway, that's when I realized that the export button seemed to be missing or I just don't know where to find it. I previously found the icon management option and the import button there (which is how I imported the icons from Datebk after converting them from a PRC file to JPG or PNG), but I can't find any way to export the icons for Pimlical/A. I'm definitely running the latest version of Pimlical/D.

I'll try what you suggested about resetting the trial. Normally, I would feel guilty about that, but I only want it so I can move my Datebk6 icons to Pimlical/A, and I am a paying customer of both of those apps....:rolleyes:....trust me, after the icons are converted, the desktop version won't stay on my PC for long.

4. internetpilot

Hmmm....I find no such folder structure in Windows XP. I did delete the Pimlical folder in the Application Data folder, but that did nothing toward resolving the problem.

Oh, well. Thanks anyway. I'll just wait until CESD provides better support for icons in the Pimlical/A version.

5. Hook

Note: there is now a version of Pimlical/A for Android 2.0 an 2.1, if needed. He kept it a separate version because Pimlical/A for Android 2.2 takes advantage of some improved programming libraries that are only available for Froyo and above. Just FYI.

6. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

I posted earlier in this post about looking for a Calendar on the HTC Desire having come from a Palm TX. I found the Android calendar awful and tried out both Touch Calendar and Gemini Calendar. Both were OK but not quite what I was looking for. I have downloaded Pimlical A today and feel at home with it straightaway. There are so many options it could be quite intimidating but you can also pretty much use the default.

One thing I would like to know - it takes a few seconds to load each time so, as have Visual Task Switcher installed, I long-press on the Search button to bring up all the running tasks and select the page with Pimlical on. What I would like to do is have it running full-screen permanently on the screen to the left of the main screen. Is there a way to achieve this please?

7. Hook

I am not sure I understand, but I believe you are asking for a Pimlical Home Screen widget for Pimlical/A. It doesn't exist yet, though I am sure it is on CESD's list (short list or long list, I can't say). Since Pimlical/A uses the Android Data Base, and widget that shows Calendar information should show what is in Pimlical's Calendar. I use Pure Calendar Widget.

The one problem is, no widgets, including Pure Calendar, have Pimlical as an option for default app to open when tapped. So I don't think you can get what you really want-- Pimlical in a widget with one tap opening of the program. It will come, I expect, but probably no one will try doing it until Pimlical is available in the Market.

Or did I misunderstand the request? I don't know Visual Task Switcher.

8. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

What I'm looking for is not a widget (or not what I think I understand a widget to be!) but to be able to swipe right on the main homepage and have Pimlical running full-screen on the screen to the left permanently. I use my calendar quite a lot and would like to be able to access it with one swipe. Hope that's clearer?

Visual Task Switcher has been very handy. It uses the fact that the Android doesn't shut down tasks but leaves them running in the background. I have it programmed as a long-press on the Search button and a screen appears showing the last 9 apps I have used in the state that I left them. I can them tap on any of these screens to activate them. Coming from a Palm this multi-tasking is bliss!

9. Hook

Ah, Android does the same thing as Visual Task Switcher is you just do a long press of the Home key, but I think it is 6 rather than 9.

Unfortunately,no, Android does not do that. Linux does that and I think (but don't know) that WebOS does that, but in Android, there are no programs running in Windows that you can leave running on a desktop while you go to another desktop. The best you can do right now is to have Pimlical as one of the icons in the app shelf so you can launch it from any home screen.

10. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

Visual Task Switcher is similar to what you see when you press the Home button but the difference is that, instead of just showing the last 9 apps that you have used, you actually see the app you left shown as a thumbnail. There is a link here at Visual Task Switcher for Android shows previews of running apps which describes it much better than I did. As I use the Calendar function a lot it is always showing in VTS so I can get to the Pimlical page I last left in 2 presses from the Home page.

Shame I can't have Pimlical on a page by itself but this is a compromise I can probably live with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.