Initial Release of Pimlical for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

How so? Aside from a few weird outliers like eReader, I've found every major mainstream app I need from the marketplace. And Pocket Informant does fine in the Market. Though I honestly haven't hunted for apps in some time, I have what I need and I don't fiddle much...what happened to Rockplayer???

And don't get me started on the wallpaper apps...blech.

I just want to make sure it plays well with my Droid before I commit any cash, and the 15 minute return window in the market lets me do that without any hassle.

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Weirdly, I looked up Rockplayer and I see it in the marketplace, with 4.5 stars. Internetpilot if you're not seeing it that's a Sprint issue. I've heard of similar things happening to Verizon & T-Mobile phones as well, where apps have updates that show through appbrain but aren't appearing in the marketplace.

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

There have been like two updates (so far) to Rockplayer since I downloaded it on probably my first or second day of owning my HTC Evo.

One update was never listed on the Market and somehow or another it became known on the various Android forums that it was pulled by Google from the Market for some technical reason. I ended up downloading that first update by going directly to the developer's website, but since I originally paid for a no-ad/logo version of Rockplayer, that update direct from the developer's site messed that up because the Market didn't know about that update or the developer's own store or payment method uses something with the Market or some such hogwash. Anyway, whatever proof of payment required for that app was broken because I had to download the app directly from the developer instead of the Market. It's still the best video player so I tolerated the "R" logo and the ads that would show when browsing for videos.

Then the most recent update notified me that it was available, but then it would never download. When I searched the Market for Rockplayer it wasn't listed again. Sure enough, Google had pulled it...AGAIN...for whatever reason, and the developer said he was waiting to hear from Google as to why they pulled it. I think it has something to do with how the developer presents the install -- it has something to do with the versions of Android or what processors its compiled for or something. I'm sure the developer was doing something technically "wrong" or not in compliance with the Market rules or guidelines, but it just seems a little ridiculous that when I filter the Market app for the newest apps, there's like a 50-100 per day that are nothing but wallpaper background sets of semi-nude Asian women, and I have to wade through that kind of crap to get to a truly superb and useful app like Rockplayer only to discover that it's been pulled from the market on a technicality. Eventually that second update was back up on the Market so I was I able to automatically update it and get my no-ad/logo feature back.

I think PalmarySoft has also had similar problems with the Market when they first started producing Android apps.

It will be interesting to see if CESD will have any similar issues with the Market. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't ever released his apps through an app store before, right? He's always been direct download from the Pimlico Software website. These app stores can be flakey/restrictive places for those use to distributing their apps via their own website/store.

I'm not picking on the Android Market -- my iPhone friends complain about the same stuff, but it seems to happen even more at the Apple App Store because they're even more restrictive than Google.

I don't think I've downloaded a single app over the Sprint data plan -- it's always through Wi-Fi. Wouldn't that bypass anything Sprint related and be a direct Google/Android Market issue? My problems seem to be specific to only a few apps -- not the whole Market or even something close to widespread.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Nope. Your carrier firmware is what tells the marketplace what to show you. We ranted about this on Gear Diary here: Android fragmentation gearchat

It sounds like the Rockplayer developer hit against issues because they weren't properly listing the specs needed for the app. The thing is, Google started this with the new marketplace because theres so many Android devices tapping the marketplace, from 500mhz low-end phones to 1ghz dual core superphones. Not to mention variations from Android 1.6 all the way to 2.3.

So Google's answer is to set the marketplace up so that only apps that can run on your OS/hardware show up...that way you're not pissed that you tried to buy/download a game and it didn't work, etc. Unfortunately it backfires, as in the case of Rockplayer.

But even on wifi Google Marketplace knows you're using a Sprint EVO. It's how it filters your access so you don't see, say, a 2.3 only app if you're on 2.2. There's downsides to that, but hopefully Google irons out the kinks and these issues disappear as hardware and software catch up.

And in general, since most apps are in the marketplace, and I don't have to work to find updates, I don't go out of my way to download apps from devs unless they're beta apps OR not available at all in the Market (like eReader). I'd like to try Pimlical, but I'll hold off until it hits the Market. And if it doesn't, I'll hang onto Pocket Informant. Too much hassle otherwise, but that's mainly because calendaring is important but not so detailed that I need uber-levels of features.

5. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Speaking of which, when will PI become a pay app? This month?

6. internetpilot

Didn't realize that -- I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part. But what I was encountering was definitely Google Market related and not Sprint. I'm running a stock Evo and just using the stock/built-in methods to manage my app updates. My phone notified me there was a Rockplayer update, the Market app agreed, but then it wouldn't download it and when I searched for it I saw that it wasn't listed in the Market anymore, even though the market kept telling me there was an update. I eventually became dizzy and just stopped. ;)

That doesn't explain all the 1 stars with "Doesn't work on my Droid Incredible!" for a comment. I think Google should just make the developer put minimum OS/hardware requirements in the listing. It's just like any other store. If you buy software that says on the box, "Does not work on 64-bit versions of Windows" and you're running a 64-bit version of Windows then you're stupid and deserve to not get a refund.

Using Android doesn't require a Genius Degree from Android University, but just living in 2011 requires you to know something about electronics, especially the electronics that you actually own. In other words, they shouldn't dumb down or limit the Market because people can't/won't/don't read the minimum OS/hardware requirements.

I'm pretty much at the top of the heap for phones right now, but that's only a temporary thing. When my phone is old news/verging on obsolete (y'know, like in six months -- haha), I want to know what software better phones have access to. Considering there's basically no way to browse the market except through your phone, which currently limits your view of the Market, that makes it impossible to see what's available if you should decide to upgrade. Google should want people to buy more phones or upgrade to a new phone, etc., right?

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Yea, in theory Marketplace is screening for specs, but Google can't control apps that don't play well with Sense UI, etc. It's the downside to Google's extremely loose marketplace control: it's on you if there's an interaction issue with your phone, another app, etc.

Contrasted with Apple, where it's harder for some devs to get their foot in the door but there's more thorough testing.

Personally I prefer Android, even with all the issues, but there are definitely some curveballs in Marketplace behavior!

8. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

I agree... Android fragmentation is somewhat of a drawback. Still, the Market does give a significant safety net in the form of peer review. Also, the ability to sideload out of the box is an advantage; a lot of times, I download apps directly from developer sites. They tend to be cheaper, offer longer trials and are even updated more often.

Internetpilot: get Appbrain. It is the PERFECT companion to the Market. You sign in with your Google Account, and it syncs to your phone. You can then browse the market on your computer.

I rarely even use the Market anymore. You can manage all your apps from it. In fact, i had my account set up before I even received my device, and had all the apps I wanted on my phone pre-queued. Downloaded the device app, and was up and running wit apps in minutes.

9. internetpilot

Ugh...a bit of a peeve with Pimlical Android. Now that I've gotten used to it and committed to using it as my regular calendar on my Evo, I (of course) want to pretty it up like had Datebk6 back in the day. That means colors, icons, templates. I realize that the Android version is still relatively in its infancy, but especially a former (actually current) Datebk6 user shouldn't have to buy the $19 desktop version of Pimlical just to get my icons transferred over.

Anyone know any way around this other than waiting for CESD to come up with better icon management for Pimlical/A (if ever)? I have little to no interest in the desktop version of Pimlical, and it's a little silly to spend $20 for an icon utility feature. Of course, since Pimlical/D was released quite a while ago (and I tried it back then), the trial has expired so I can do very little with it. To be clear: I'm not trying to get around the Pimlical Desktop licensing!! So please don't read it that way. I'm just looking for an alternative way to transfer icons over to Pimlical/A.

I also searched the two Pimlico Yahoo Groups, but...let's be honest here...I could go to those two Yahoo Groups, type "Datebk" or "Pimlical" in the search field and get nothing. I wish CESD would host his own forums. I've probably converted close to a dozen Yahoo Groups (and eGroups before that) to hosted forum sites for unreliability reasons -- search issues, membership issues, lack of management options, etc. Yahoo Groups....yuck, ptooey!

10. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Post in the Pimlical Yahoo Group. There may be a way to get the icons over from Datebk6 without Pimlical, not sure. Maybe you could get someone with Pimlical to do the conversion for you, if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.