Initial Release of Pimlical for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

All in all, I think he has won me over. I am not a big GTD person (gasp!), so going back to the way I did things in my Datebk days is refreshing.

And, like Hook, I like the difference in CESD's preferences. I wonder if he will, at some point, gravitate to radio buttons like everyone else.

My calendars are working flawlessly so far, and I am quite satisfied with the task management. I probably will not use a desktop for practical reasons. Too many terminals in too many locations; I doubt it would be worth it.

One feature I would like from my BB sojourn: the ability to create a task/appointment entry directly from an email. I am more concerned with the aforementioned ability to add a contact to a task, so that would be a somewhat unneeded cherry on top.

2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I'll go out on a (small) limb here and suggest that if PimlicalA is this good already, within a year it will have NO competition if CESD follows his DB6 development habits.

Ayup... This stuff is the best news in a long time for the Android platform. :)

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Hook, just out of curiosity, can you give us an example of a preference that offers a value instead of a radio button? I'm not doubting you (I love 'real' control and granularity too, not just multiple-choice); but I'm curious.

4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

SlotInterval
    Current Value: 60
    Set how long each time slot is in the day and multi-day views - in minutes

LightenGoogleColor
    Current Value: 0
    Amount to lighten the Google Calendar Colors by for use as a background color (0=no lightening, 100+ is probably too much).

Like that. Some are continuous scale, some interval scale, some binary (true false), some like default calendar, you type in a name. There are nine preference categories, each with a long scrolling list of settings.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Cool. I like that kind of thing too, especially something like configuring slot durations, etc. If it's a 'binary' true-false setting, a radio button's good enough for me.

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like Pimlical is out of beta and $4.99...I think I am going to wait for it to hit the marketplace so i can give it a spin (15 minutes is better than nothing)!

7. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I think it's been $4.95 since it was first released (even in "Beta"). From what I've read, the requirements for the Android Market can be a bit ridiculous for sophisticated apps like Pimlical. The continuing issues with the Market removing app updates like Rockplayer (hands down the best Android video player) is an example of the ridiculousness. I think these days the Market is only interested in offering free semi-nude wallpaper backgrounds of Asian women rather tham updates to superior apps. Haha.

8. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

I'm very interested in this thread as I am currently a Palm TX user but my shiny new HTC Desire is winging its way to me as I type and may get here tomorrow. I used to use DateBk5 many moons ago on my T5 but can't for the life of me remember why I didn't have it on the TX. I shall have a play with the calendar on the Desire but if I'm not happy with it (not that impressed with the screenshots in the manual I downloaded) I may get Pimlical.

A lot of this thread has gone right over my head but I think I understand that all I would need is the Andoid app as I only ever update from my handheld rather than from a desktop application? What I can't get my head around is how I would backup my data as this seems to be a right can of worms. Of course, I have to get the data over to the Desire first but that's another story and probably another thread.

If anyone could explain in simple terms what I would need I would be very grateful.

9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Hi, Clare!

I think I understand your confusion -- I was right there with you just a little over a month ago, happily using my Palm Treo 755p and even still using my "archaic" Palm Tungsten|C for some stuff from time to time. I didn't really like this "cloud" sync/backup stuff, which is the probably the main stickler that kept me from upgrading from my aging Treo 755p for months (if not years) to something newer. Everything uses this "cloud" philosophy now. What's a poor fellow like me who likes backing everything up to a normal sized SD card and syncing over Wi-Fi or (at worst) a USB cable supposed to do with this "cloud" thing, right?

Hate to admit it, but I'm currently loving the cloud. Haven't had a problem with the cloud, and I'm overall loving the whole Android thing.

Basically, instead of just backing up to an SD card or to one PC, you have even more options for "backing up" or syncing your data now. You can still sync directly with your PC, even using Outlook as your desktop calendar. You can also backup your files directly to your PC or the SD card in your phone. You can also back it up to an internet server likely nowhere near you (haha) through apps like Lookout, etc.

Most importantly, you're always automatically syncing with Google -- your calendar(s), contacts, documents, etc. This is actually the part that I've quickly come to love the most. Instead of syncing my phone with my desktop, it's always syncing with Google, which I can then access via any computer that has internet access. I can also sync my own computer(s) with Google, which means that my phone is now also in sync with my local computer(s).

Google's Calendar is a little different than Palm's. Instead of categories (work, family, school, etc.) Google uses different calendars. So on the www.Google.com/calendar website, you would just create however many calendars that you would normally need for categories. You can also set each one of these calendars to display with a different color (just like you could with categories in the Palm calendar). You'll have a separate school, work, home, etc. calendar, but all them are viewable as one calendar on your phone. You can go into settings on the phone and select which calendars you want to view on your phone calendar, and you can set a different. Pimlical still uses the Google calendars, it just makes them prettier, offers more view options, and a ton of other features. Just like Datebk5 & 6, Pimlical can be as complicated or simplistic as you want to make it. If you feel like diving into all the features, you can. If you feel like just using it with the default configuration, you can do that, too.

It's a little strange coming from Palm to Android, but I am very happy that I found that learning curve was rather shallow. Just keep an open mind and realize that this is what it is -- a new thing. You're used to a rather old thing (like I was), and that can be an adjustment. However, with apps like Pimlical for Android, it sure does make the transition a lot easier! I was able to find quite a few direct replacement apps from the same developers when I made my switch, and even when I couldn't find ones from the same developer, the Android Market has a ton of apps in it where you will likely find a very close replacement for any/all of your Palm apps.

Also keep in mind that most of the people here on Brighthand who are now using iPhones or Android phones or Blackberry phones, etc., were using PalmOS devices at one time. You're definitely not alone in making this transition, so ask away with questions (like in the Brighthand Android OS Software forum), and you'll typically get very knowledgeable and courteous help rather quickly from very nice and smart people who made the transition before you did.

10. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

Chris, many thanks for such a quick and detailed reply. I'm reassured by what you've said and by reading Hook's review of his new phone which is very similar to mine. I will wait for my Desire to arrive and have a good play and then I'm sue there will be more questions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.