Initial Release of Pimlical for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Well, I'm excited. I am a big Datebk user for many years! When we old Palmists were lamenting the end of that era, Datebk is one of the things frequently mentioned. It was about the best Calendar out there, on any platform. I also love the pressure of competition, so I think it's presence will make PI a better product, regardless. (Oddly, Datebk had little real competition, but he just kept making it better and better any way).

So - I am currently on a (cough) iOS device, and using PI.

Two things that I miss from my Palm days.

I used the Floating feature quite a bit on my Palm.
    Does the Android version have that?

The icons in Month view are essential for me.
    Do either of them have that on Android (yet)?
    iOS recently added it.

The Voice entry feature sounds very helpful. How well does it work?

Looking forward to joining your ranks in the 'Droid world soon!

2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

What is the 'floating' feature in Palm?

3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Yes it has floating appointments/tasks (V, that means they have no end date, so they float from day to day until you dismiss them. )

Pimlical uses the icons on the desktop --in fact, it can turn any graphic into an icon I believe. There is also a method of exporting them for use in the Android version.

Right now, I think a lot of rough edges are getting worked out in the Android version, which is why he didn't put it in the market yet, but you'll probably be paying less for the Android app than when it is officially released (I don't know that, just guessing).

Voice entry is just a general Android feature, not a Pimlical-specific feature. I just use grafitti.

4. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Thanks for the info, Hook. It's sounding good.
    We'll see in a week when I get my 'droid.

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm new to Android, so I'm not entirely sure where Android vs. HTC begins and ends, but using HTC Sync, I'm currently syncing Outlook with Pimilical without issue (so far). What part of the problem am I missing or avoiding? Is it that not every Android phone comes with HTC Sync or...??? Among the Google Calendars I created, I also have a PCSync calendar as well as an Exchange calendar. Wouldn't those be sync'able with Outlook and then Pimlical without having to buy the Pimlical desktop app?

Loving Pimilical so far (thanks Hook for pointing out in another thread that it was early-released via the Pimlico website -- I was waiting for it in the Market). It's a little Datebk6-ish, but not completely. I think that any Datebk6 fan would find it familiar enough though. When I first got Datebk6 I was lost for weeks, as it can be a very complicated and confusing program. The Android version is no different, but after using Datebk6 you at least know what to look for.

Now I need to go back and merge all my Google Calendars into one calendar again (probably via Google Sync to Outlook and then sync the merged Outlook calendar to Pimlical), and then go through Pimlical to change the colors/categories instead of having separate calendars like I do now (which I've always thought was just plain stupid -- hello? CATEGORIES. Is it that difficult of a feature to implement on Google Calendar?). I wish I would've known that Pimlical was coming out so soon -- I could've held off separating all my categories into different Google Calendars just to get different colors!

6. internetpilot

Like Hook said, this is a general Android thing. I actually use it more for dialing a contact, entering a destination, or even texting a message while driving because its quick, reliable, and requires me to press two buttons or less so its minimal distraction from the road (no more than changing a radio station or skip forward/back on a CD). In fact, trying to do something with the iPod 5th Gen that I inherited from my son is WAY more distracting (it's a downright hazard).

7. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

With PI, I am able to import three different Google based calendars, which are color coded. Can this be done with Pimlical?

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

In Google Calendar, Calendars are categories. And you don't need to merget them, that are already merged in your main Calendar which has the name "username@gmail.com" or whatever (it doesn't have to be a gmail email, but for most people is). Any Program on Android will pick up those calendars and show them in their colors on your calendar (or not, you can select Calendar (category) visibility) whether PI, Pimlical or Calendar Pad Pro.

There is no need to use Pimlical desktop if you are happy syncing to Outlook-- that's my situation. I am still going back and forth between PI and Pimlical on the Android, but I have no intention of switching from Outlook. Outlook syncs all the calendars and merges them into one Calendar. However, if you want to change to Pimlical Desktop, there is noting special you need to do like merging. Like all other programs that use Google Calendar, you tell it which Calendars you want and it shows you them in a single calendar color coded for their Calendar/category.

Yes, all Android Calendars do this. Pimlical does not use its own unique data base. It just reads the Android Calendar database, same as PI and every other Calendar program on Android does and writes to that same database for syncing with Google using the Android Sync.

9. internetpilot

Thanks again, Hook! I'm still not thinking entirely Android yet.

See, I think my confusion lies in how I sync the three calendar "apps" (Google Calendar, Outlook, and Pimlical). When I first got my Android phone a month ago I was used to USB syncing with my Palm Treo, so I was excited when I discovered HTC Sync came with my phone and I could bypass Google Calendar completely. But that doesn't allow for categories, colors, etc, because it's just one calendar so it's all one color.

Anyway, what I need to do is use all three, but only sync a specific way: Sync Google Calendar with Outlook via GoogleSync and then sync Google Calendar with Pimlical via "the cloud". If I sync Outlook directly with Pimlical via HTC Sync then my calendars will be merged into one calendar in Pimlical (called PCSync) which will not then sync with Google Calendar via the cloud.

Does that makes sense to anyone besides me? Haha

10. internetpilot

Ugh...I'm back to using TouchCalendar since I got majorly bit by the "Fake event to work around a calendar issue" bug on Pimlical. I saw on the support forum where you encountered that, too, Hook. That's a major show-stopper for me, as I can't have stuff like that popping up out of the blue on my calendar, especially dozens of them on each day with no easy way to remove them or especially prevent them from coming right back at the next refresh. Very frustrating and admittedly a bit disappointing. Thank goodness it doesn't sync over to my Google Calendar, or I'd be really ticked off in addition to just being annoyed.

Oh, well. $5 for the gorillas! I'll keep checking back on it in the future. For the moment, Pimilical seems a bit too beta for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.