Initial Release of Pimlical for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

PLEASE NOTE: Posts that were created after #110 have been relocated into a new thread devoted to Calengoo.

Please continue discussion of Calengoo here, where the posts devoted to that topic have been given their own thread. :)

This original thread should remain for discussions of Pimlical primarily.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Thank you, Lauren :)

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Thank you -- that was definitely needed.

4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

This is a little perverse, but currently, although Pimlical/A isn't my primary Calendar program (I am using it in parallel with two others), I am using it an invaluable Calendar utility. It's that one unique ability it has that no other Calendar has incorporated (every Calendar I try gets the request). Pimlical/A does "Floats" --untimed events (you can think of them as tasks or simply reminders) that appear on the current day of the Calendar and then float to the next day when the next day becomes today and so-forth, until you dismiss them. Constant nags to keep paying attention to some things each day even though there is no precise deadline by which they have to be acomplished. It is a really powerful and useful feature.

What's nice is, no matter what Calendar I am using, I can do the following:

Enter the float in Pimlical/A, which writes it to the Android Database, then it syncs to Google Calendar. Any other program that reads Android data base will have it and any program (including Outlook) that syncs to Google Calendar directly will have it.

Then, the next time I open Pimlical/A after midnight the next day, Pimlical/A "advances" the float to the new Today, which advances it in the Android Databse, which, on the next sync, advances it in Google Calendar (Google Calendar can't advance floats-- it probably thinks an appointment was deleted and a new one added). Which then "advances the float" in anything that syncs with Google Calendar.

It's flawless, if a little ham handed. As long as no other Calendar has this function, I will probably continue to use Pimlical/A for this one feature alone. It's such a wonderful tool, having floats, I have no idea why all calendars don't do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.