Initial Release of Pimlical for Android

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Pimlico Software (which is actually one person, CESD)of Datebk6 fame has finally released Pimlical for Android which syncs with a separate Windows desktop via Google. A Mac and Linux desktop are also in the works, though no dates.

Pimlico Software home page

It's not in the Android Market yet, but it will be. He chose to release it as an apk on the website first to see if there were any unforseen support issues. This puts it in the hands of Datebk6 folks who have mved to Android.

I can't say too much about it because I have just installed it and I was not all that familiar with Datebk6. Features and screenshots are at link above. I will say, he manages to give you a much richer control set than most "app" programs. It does require Android version 2.2.

I'm trying it out and didn't mind giving CESD some money, especially since it goes to the Gorilla Haven. I will put it head-to-head with Pocket Informant for awhile and see what suits me better.

Right now, I don't know enough to say much pro or con, just giving a heads up.

2. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up Hook. I will give it a go.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I didn't realize that Pimlical and Datebk were from the same guy. Usually, people seem to compare and contrast them (I guess on different devices); with Datebk usually considered the most capable product. I know you wrote that you weren't really familiar with Datebk; but any idea what the differences are based on other opinions, or Pimlico documentation?

The fact that it has a desktop component is really attractive to me; but I'm not sure why it 'goes through Google.'

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

And one other thing. I know I'm a broken record on this topic (talk about an anachronism?) but Pimlical for Android is $5. Pimlical for Palm OS is THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS! How does that work?

5. Hook

Actually, up until now, Pimlical has only existed as a windows desktop. Android is the first handheld version. Both were built from scratch. Currently, the desktop has more features than the Android version for editing items, but more and more of those features will be moved to the handheld version, according to CESD.

I really can't answer the comparison to Datebk6. Nor have I yet tried the desktop-- today I synced it to Google and Outlook (using Companion Link).

CESD felt Google was the way to go initially (and I agree with him) because it has become the universal sync target for phones. Even without a handheld app,you could view and Google calendar the Desktop created on any phone. Now he can refine things and has even raised the possibility of a wireless sync to Pimlico Desktop, which he says is doable but will be a lot of work. Android is just not set up for USB sync without a lot of 3rd party intervention, and in every case so far it only works with specialized apps.

As for the price thing, that is the market forces created by app stores,for better or for worse. I am pretty sure app consumption is much higher than it was before app stores. I however don't pretend to understand why things have changed so drastically.

I should have more to say about Pimlical tomorrow.

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

-- bolding added for emphasis

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Rick, I'm not sure that package is attractive. I doubt too many have need of all those things.

Does one need the desktop app to run the Android version? Is the desktop app the conduit for interacting with the Android app?

8. Hook

The desktop is optional though there are things it can do which Pomlico for Android can't however the results of doing them on the desktop are carried over to the Android app. Both sync independently with Google and that is how they sync with each other, independently, through Google.

9. Hook

After spending the day with Pimlical, including the desktop version, I am back to Pocket Informant. This is not so much because Pimlical isn't excellent, it is. However, given how I do things, PI is a better match for me for now. Keep in mind I was never a Datebk6 user and there was a reason for that-- my day planner demands are not that great. I am very calendar-centric, but I don't do terribly complex planning. I'm not a huge GTD fan (I tend to think of it as obsessing over things to keep yourself from getting anything real done) and if I can't track what I need to do by jotting a few notes on my calendar I tend to change what I need to get done. So don't consider this a review of Pimlical. That really needs to be done by someone who used Datebk6 (I know Reinbeau uses Pimlical, she would be a much better candidate to review Pimlical than I).

The first thing that pushed me away from Pimlical was realizing after playing with the desktop for a day that I wasn't going to give up Outlook, where I have everything integrated. Pimlical Desktop is a true Planner on steroids and I would kill for a couple of it's calendar views in Outlook, but I am not going to pay $20 and use a whole separate program just for that when I am already running Outlook and syncing that to Google.

That left deciding whether to use Pimlical for Android alone. Without the desktop, Pimlical and Pocket Informant go head to head very well. Pimlical gives slightly more power to the calendar, but PI takes care of my needs about as well. What finally decided was two things.

1) A certain quirkiness in the UI for Pimlical for Android. Most of these things were minor except one. For some reason, all day appointments, although in the Android database and synced to Google, would not be picked up by home screen widgets. All tests and evidence suggested it was Pimlical only that produced this result. I'm guessing it has to do with extra information maybe stored with all day appointments, but I have no idea. But I depend heavily on my Widgets rather than opening calendars all the time.

2) I think the future course of PI will work better for me. Pimlical Desktop has contacts and tasks and notes, but no way to import them except from Palm desktop. They seem to exist in their own isolated universe. I haven't used Palm desktop in 2 years and that feels like a step backwards to me. PI is planning in the future to sync with Outlook, which is going to be more useful to me.

So, for now, I'm sticking with Pocket Informant, although I know I will have to wait longer for it to get to Pimlical's sophistication.

However, I suspect that if you really like Datebk6, Pimlical is worth checking out.

A day may also have been too short a time to try everything out, but I quickly lose patience moving back and forth between multiple programs. ;)

10. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I've been waiting on a Linux desktop version of Pimlical, and may well give up on it before it arrives. I no longer have a need for a Palm version of Datebk, but I would like to be able to sync my Linux PC with my Nokia N800 running Maemo, a Linux variant for Nokia's internet tablets. I haven't found a really good way to do this, even through my Google calendar. I also need to sync contacts and a password manager on those platforms. Not looking promising, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.