Inability to create a second username on Palm Desktop for Mac

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by royofsf, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royofsf

royofsf Member

This is really a Palm question but they are totally unhelpful. My plans are to export my 2300 contacts, edit them enmasse and import them. However, I do not want to dump them on top of my unedited 2300 contacts. My thought was to creat a second "bogus" username for the imports.

Once they pass muster, I delete the unedited contacts and the my original username and rename the bogus one to my original name. Voila! Or I could just copy over the 2300 from the bogus to the original name after deleting the unedited ones.

Here's the problem: when I attempt to open the hotsync/user/edit users menu, I receive a double popup message: Application Launch failure! The application "hotsync manger" could not be launcher because of because of a shared library error: "<hotsync><hotsync><hotsynclib><SetConfigureConduitCallBack>" followed by the second popup: "unexpected error #9".

Any ideas? It looks corrupt to me. Is there any other way that you can see to do a well-protected import (not counting backups).

I always do a full back, not just a hotsync, before doing something like this. I also have BackupBuddy2 backups every night, BackupBuddy VFS Pro backups to my card every night, external hard drive backups once/week and occasional DVD backups of all key files. So I'm covered on that end. But I view backups as last resort, not first resort.

2. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Do you use Palm Desktop, Roy, or something else? If you use PD, I think you can add a new user from the PD window, too.

Another thing you can try is exporting your contacts and transferring them to a second user acct on the Mac (you can make a new one just for this purpose and get rid of it when you're done). Import them to PD, edit as you like, and then export them back into your acct on the Mac. Then back in your acct replace the contacts.

Actually, maybe an even easier way would be to copy your database to the new acct, so you'll have a mirror of everything you have. Edit, and then copy the whole database back. So you'll have the edited contacts in your PD acct in basically one step.

When I've had "shared library" errors in the past, I've had to reinstall PD. Just remember to copy your database and any special conduits you have before you do.

Best o' luck,
    Robb

3. royofsf

royofsf Member

I am now using Palm Desktop for Mac. I was getting that message form that part of the menu where you can create another username (hotsync/user/edit users is the name of the menu). It is normally an easy thing to do when I had my Palm Desktop on a PC. Then I would follow the steps outline in both my and your email.

Now what do I do? I've just spent days with some sync problems on my new Mac (first timer) and brand new Palm Desktop for Mac. These are the steps that I can take:

1. Uninstall Palm Desktop for Mac.
    2. Re-install it from disc that came with my Treo 680.
    3. I can't remember whether it repopulates the data itself or whether I have to do a hotsync (handheld overwrites Mac).

Does that look correct? Thanks.

4. royofsf

royofsf Member

False alarm. I'm using Missing Sync and it takes over the hotsync process totally. I just discovered the "edit username" menu on the Missing Sync screen. So all that's left is unless someone has a better idea:

1. Export 2300 contacts, open in Excel and edit ( have some major enmasse editing to do), create second username, import to second username, check out quality of import, if OK-delete unedited 2300 contacts along with my first username, rename second username to original username and have a glass of wine.

OR

2. Export 2300 contacts, copy the 2300 contacts still sitting in Contacts on Palm Desktop for Mac from first username to second username, delete them from first user name, open exported file with Excel and edit, import edited contacts to first username, check quality of import, keep old contacts in second username for awhile as security blanket and have a beer.

5. royofsf

royofsf Member

The copy menu item is greyed out on my Palm Desktop for Mac and if I try cmd/c on my first username screen and them cmd/v on my second username screen, nothing happens. I can "select all" but not copy nor paste. Or did you means omething else when you said "copy your database"?

I don't know any other quick way to move all my contacts from one username screen to the second username screen. Do you?

6. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

Way to catch yourself, man. ;) The fact that you're good with giving helpful details is an absolute plus. A star for your rep.

7. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

Simply export to a database after selecting everything and import it under the other username.

8. royofsf

royofsf Member

Strife89: Thanks for the star. BTW, exporting has been my original plan. I find that working on Excel to edit enmasse and importing the result is a very fast and efficient way to use a lot of the powerful Excel tools on large blocks of text [spell check, filtering formatting cells for numbers/dates/etc., initial caps, find and replace (one of my favorites) to move stuff around, correct incorrect or oddball entries, etc.].

The only tricky part is that I don't want to dump 2300 edited contacts on top of 2300 unedited contacts. Hence, the value of a second username.

One other thing that I feel is important is to make certain that my exported file in in the same exact order as the Palm Desktop for Mac fields. Because then no mapping is necessary. If one built their contacts database without keeping all contacts fields in one consistent order, export/import cannot be effectively used, which becomes all-to-apparent when one enters the mapping phase. Mapping only allows one sequence or order of filed names.