In Box Setup

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by kuvasz, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuvasz

kuvasz Mobile Deity

BTW, can I access the internet via my computer's cable modem (charter.net) through bluetooth? I'm over my head, here.

Also, charter customer customer was a bit fuzzy about a few of the steps, particularly about the domain name.

We ended up simply putting charter.net there.

Thanks in advance for some help.

- k

2. allklrnoflr

allklrnoflr Mobile Deity

I was having problems sending e-mails through BT/WiFI once I deleted the domain name and left it blank I had no problems sending e-mails.

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Mobile Deity

That's interesting.

- k

4. Badandy

Badandy Mobile Deity

Yes, delete it. You only need incoming and outgoing service.

Unfortunately I have charter.net and it will not let me send/recieve over wifi or bluetooth because you cannot pickup email when you are not using their cable service...

5. rugerx

rugerx Mobile Evangelist

If you are using BT or WIFI that is not connected to your home service, and having problems getting mail, trial mail2web.com, they have web based mail, and a section for PDA's. Works great for me, and its free.

6. kuvasz

kuvasz Mobile Deity

This is very interesting. Do you still use outlook, or do you use a yahoo sort of address? And can you search the internet? Also, I suppose you have to connect to a wifi network nearby?

- k

7. kuvasz

kuvasz Mobile Deity

It seems to me that if our bluetooth-enabled computer were connected to charter's cable modem, that somehow we could connect to it via bluetooth and get connected.

Or perhaps we would need a router for a wireless network (with a laptop, for instance) and then connect, although even laptops need a special card, and our ipaqs don't have one I suppose.

Still, there has to be someway.

- k

8. rugerx

rugerx Mobile Evangelist

I am confused.
    Lets get on the same page. If you already know all this just ignore me. :)

If you are at home, you can yes connect to your ISP and get email on your Pocketpc via WIFI or Bluetooth.

Any connection originating from your internal LAN would be sent through the WAN connection to your ISP (Cable modem), so it would consider you on its network.

To connect via WIFI you need a wireless router that is connected to your cable modem.

To connect via Bluetooth you need a mother board or add on card in a computer on your home network that supports bluetooth and that computer would need to be connected to your cable modem (directly or via router).

With both scenarios the connection would originate from the LAN at your house, that is permitted to use the Cable connection that will in turn access your ISP's email server.

For an external WIFI or bluetooth (ie starbucks WIFI, or a bluetooth phone) your results will vary depending on your ISP's rules on off network mail collection. If in doubt use mail2web.com's free service, as my ISP allows it.

Network card in Ipaq ?
    If you have a 41xx series you have Bluetooth and WIFI built in.

Hope this might help.

9. Badandy

Badandy Mobile Deity

Yes, I meant to say when using Bluetooth/WiFi outside my home :)

10. rugerx

rugerx Mobile Evangelist

If you are outside your home, connecting to your cable modem will work as far as i can tell, I have tried, using port forwarding from external WIFI, no luck yet. Good luck, if you get it to work, let us know!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.