Importing Palm data on new desktop

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by RedHedd, Feb 1, 2013.

1. RedHedd

RedHedd Mobile Evangelist

My old Palm TE is long ago dead. My old XP PC now is too, however I do have a new Windows 7 PC. I did know to save my palm desk backup file from the old computer. When we installed the Palm desktop on the new PC, we put the old backup file where it was supposed to go, however the Palm Desktop does not recoignize the file - says it's corrupt.

I do not have a Palm to sync up, but want to get the hopefully saved data onto my new PC - at least the calendars and contacts.

HELP!

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

A few caveats. I haven't tried to do exactly what you need to do. Also, if you are using Palm Desktop 6.2.2, I have no experience with it. Also, I have been away from using a Palm for 3 years. Now that you realize I'm probably no help whatsoever... ;)

Which version of palm Desktop was on XP and which version is on the Win 7 machine. I'm asking because I suspect you are going from a 4.x version on XP to a 6.2.2 version on Win 7. I believe the data base format changed between the two. This didn't make a lot of difference if you were syncing a handheld to the new desktop, but it would make a big difference if you are simply copying the old data bases. If I am right, I would uninstall the 6.2.2 desktop (you don't need it if you aren't trying to hotsync) and install the 4.x version on Win 7, then try copying over the old data.

You might also wait for others to pipe up before rushing off to try it. Do, however, let us know what PD you are coming from and going to.

3. RedHedd

RedHedd Mobile Evangelist

Version 4.1 .... man it's old! Poor Palm! It really was the best back in the day.