I'm looking for a new phone....

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Virinder, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Seems like there'd be several 10s of millions of S2, S3 and og Note folks who passed on the s4 and are due an upgrade. What would constitute a small upgrade market for Samsung?

Hook likes this.
  2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

S2, Note 2 and S3 users, as well as users of low and midrange Galaxies, are probably the best market to upgrade to the S5, if they have not upgraded last year. There is no point in upgrading to the S4 when the S5 is around unless for some reason, you really like the way the S4 or S4 Activ looks or is able to find a decent bargain. The size of the S5 also makes it thread to the Note 3 market.

3. henling

henling Newbie

An LTE Nexus 4 would be nice, but I still believe that Motorola is planning to come out with a flagship device to rival the GS4 and HTC One, while the Moto X was supposed to compete directly against the IPhone.

Between the LG G2 and the Nexus 5, I think I might have to go with the LG G2...much bigger battery, bigger screen (but nearly the same dimensions)...not to mention a better 13 MP with OIS camera.

I wonder if the reason why there no Google Play edition (GPe) of the LG G2 is because it'd pretty much cannabalize the Nexus 5's sales?

4. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I would think that a GPE edition of the LG G2 would be redundant in the light of the Nexus 5. I won't think the G2 would cannibalize the Nexus 5 sales, more likely the other way around, because the Nexus 5 will be sold cheaper.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm generally very happy with my G2, but with the G3 rumored to come out in May, I'd wait. Also, from what I've read, the real world difference between the G2 and Nexus 5 cameras are not significant.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Drillbit likes this.
  6. Jake S.

Jake S. Newbie

Greetings

I'm actually looking to change my phone as well, seriously been thinking of going towards android systems.
    Through my experience though, and since we are discussing about future proof phones, I bought the iPhone 4S when it came out, and still works like new to the day!
    I used to hate apple to be honest, but I though I'd invest on a phone that will last. I'm not quite sure If I can trust other manufacturers as of yet. I used to have the worst experience with Sony Ericson phones, but I guess they're past now..

7. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Well, if the Sony Z1 Compact doesn't make it to Verizon (or North America, for that matter), it looks like we all have another "Mini" option with flagship specs:

Samsung Outs the SM-G750A, an S5 Mini Featuring a 720p Display and Snapdragon 800 | Droid Life

Seems like my criteria from the start of this thread for a dream phone are finally hitting all at once...just 2 years later...

Battery life and RAM still are a question mark, but seriously, a Snapdragon 800 in this form factor?!? Unreal.

Drillbit likes this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Sounds like screen size is still a question mark.

Hi Jake, didn't see you there earlier. A little late, but welcome to brighthand if you are still here. :hi2:

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

SO...maybe the GS5 Mini isn't all that special:

Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini Specs Leaked, Mid-range Handset With Few Notable Specs | Droid Life

Looks like the next Moto X is still a go, should arrive late summer:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/452625461579743232

10. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Called it:

Motorola XT912A is Back in Benchmarks, This Time With 5.2-inch 1080p Display (New Moto X?) | Droid Life