I'm looking for a new phone....

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Virinder, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

I would doubt it. I would in fact be surprised if the Play editions of the S4 and HTC One are selling all that well, though I've seen no figures on it. Nexus phones are always going to offer top technology at almost half the price. If you are buying unlocked, it is pretty much a no brainer. The number of people who would pay the extra because they want a specific phone but with vanilla Android is probably miniscule.

2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

A Google Edition LG G2 would be redundant. You know, I like to see a Google Edition of the Sony Xperia Z1.

3. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Whelp, after two months with the Droid Bionic, I'm switching to the Droid RAZR Maxx...

The Droid Bionic was great, but as an early 4G LTE phone, I've drained my battery in about half a day on average with only moderate use.

I got the Droid RAZR Maxx for $160 in relatively mint condition off Swappa, but it's a refurbished device...just like the Droid Bionic I got off DailySteals. It should be here in a few days.

I wonder if it's true that the flagship will debut early 2014, as has been rumored for the Samsung GS5 (?) and HTC M8...

Drillbit likes this.
  4. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Or the Z1 f!

5. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The Moto G sounds like a very interesting midrange phone if one is looking at a budget.

6. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

No 4G is a dealbreaker for most American consumers, even for a budget handset...especially in today's market...

And, somehow, with a smaller screen, the Moto G is bigger in size & weight than the Moto X...

But, in the international market, I feel that the Moto G will dominate.

7. Ganiy

Ganiy Mobile Evangelist

Moto G seems to be a really good gadget. It is available for £135 only. That is the perfect budget variant of gadget.

8. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

What?!?

No love for the wood backs option (Bamboo only for now) of the MotoMaker Moto X's??

Seriously, this should've been an option at launch and should be closer to the evleaks' predicted price of an extra $50, than the listed $100 extra...

Looks great, but not sure it's worth $100...whatchu think?

Moto X With Bamboo: Everything You Need to Know | Droid Life

9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I don't really like tacky wood options, and neither do I like seeing them in cars as well.

10. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Is the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 actually VoLTE-capable? There apparently is a VoLTE hidden engineering menu on the VZW GNote 3, but it's not user accessible until VZW gives VoLTE the green light...

Verizon VoLTE Testing Spotted | Light Reading

http://i.imgur.com/NEltkFEm.png

http://i.imgur.com/NbpM5pPm.png

I think I remember posting that my Moto source mentioned that the 2014 line of Motorola phones (ATOM, Nova?) would have VoLTE radios, and that the XPhone (Moto X) would be VoLTE-capable.

http://forum.brighthand.com/smartphones/287274-i-m-looking-new-phone-37.html

I doubt the Moto X is VoLTE-capable with only a 2,200 mAh battery, but the Galaxy Note 3 definitely has a battery large enough to give it decent battery life while on VoLTE. Remember that only a few months ago, a 3,500 mAh battery-powered smartphone only lasted 45 mins on VoLTE during a test run. Hopefully, there's significant improvement as we enter 2014, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Motorola throw the Droid Maxx's 3,500 mAh battery into its 2014 VoLTE-capable lineup.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday, and have a Happy New Year!

scjjtt likes this.
  11. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

There are rumors that Verizon might also host the Moto G for its low budget range ($99?)

12. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Saw that. That's a crazy good price for the Moto G, but there are concerns it won't work on post-paid plans (it's a prepaid phone via Best Buy), and apparently Verizon's 3G network has gotten SLOW. Not sure I'd buy it over that $75 Droid Bionic with 4G LTE I bought a few months ago, but the battery life can't be any worse that that thing.

Looks like the HTC One's successor (M8) is getting some conflicting rumors about its specs, between evleaks & an XDA ROM developer. I like these XDA specs, especially if HTC decides to go to on-screen buttons (to reduce the One's ridiculous bezels with capacitive buttons & BoomSound speakers), and if it will be VoLTE-capable.

New HTC M8 details: HTC One+ name, Snapdragon 805, 2,900mAh battery, and software keys [RUMOR]

13. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Looks like Sony's next flagship will be headed to CDMA finally...at Verizon, no less...:eek:

But, with a 5.2" screen, I'm actually afraid of the bezels on this thing (see: Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia Z1 Honami)

Wish the Z1 Compact (4.3" screen, Snapdragon 800, 720p screen, 2,300 mAh battery) was coming to North America, but seems like it will remain an international model for now.

Xperia Z2, aka 'Sirius' leaked. Possible MWC debut - GSMArena.com news

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

If the next Xperia flagship comes to US Cellular as long as it's going CDMA, I just might pee myself with excitement.

15. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

First thought: hope there's a big puddle of excitement...
    Second thought: is the first thought really appropriate? :rolleyes:

16. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

17. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Verizon, AT&T & Mediacom Drop In Netflix’s Streaming Rankings | Cable Television News | Broadcast Syndication | Programming | Multichannel.com

Verizon is denying they are throttling Amazon's cloud services and Netflix but would you really trust them?

The trend might be shifting from flagship to elegant and hip low to midrange devices. HTC announced they are going to emphasize this.

HTC: Expect more mid-range phones in 2014, M8 event invitations going out shortly | Android and Me

But why wait for HTC, I am surprised how attractive this phone is.

$130 Xiaomi Redmi could pack more value than any Android Phone to date

For $130 it also got a 1.5Ghz quadcore processor and a 4.7" 720p screen.

xiaomi-redmi.jpg

18. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Red seems to be the new color, like the red HTC One of late. The red Nexus sold out quickly in the Play Store.

Red-Nexus-5-1024x682.jpeg

19. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Beautiful, but highly unlikely it makes it here to the States.

On another note, is HTC sticking with a logo, despite having on-screen buttons?!? Unbelieveably stupid, if true...

Latest leak offers clear view of the upcoming HTC M8 | Android and Me

Looks like I might be waiting a while longer for the Moto X's successor, I can only hope that Lenovo doesn't butcher it. FWIW, my Droid RAZR Maxx is going strong and the only knock on it is that it won't ever get Android 4.2.2, & therefore I can't have lockscreen widgets.

The Galaxy S5 & HTC M8 have no appeal for me...I think everyone is just better off waiting for VoLTE-capable phones. The only phone that I have great interest in, which was announced at CES is the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. It's the dream 4.3" phone I mentioned I was looking for at the start of this thread, only 2 years too late, and probably won't make it to North America for another 6 months, let alone Verizon. Definitely won't be VOLTE-capable with only a 2,300 mAh battery, but still is dreamlike for me with its form factor.

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact: Thoughts After a Full Weekend With Sony’s Smaller High-End Phone | Droid Life

20. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Virinder, I doubt that the logo is the only reason for that part of the border. I'm sure it's there because of overall packaging constraints, and while it's there, they put the logo on.