I'm looking for a new phone....

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Virinder, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Yeah, my Droid Eris is biting the dust, so I need a temporary replacement. I'm considering picking up a Droid X off-contract from someone, so I won't be locked into a 2-year contract, and will have a decent phone to carry me until I choose an upgrade. Anyone got any recommendations for it, or any other phone to get as an off-contract cheap replacement? I was looking at the Droid Bionic, but that'd be $150...If I was on T-Mobile, I'd probably try to get an HTC One S.

I figure that the Droid X will get me used to a larger handset than the Droid Eris I've had for nearly 4 years now...but, yeah spec-wise, the DX is obsolete, but quite a tank. Thoughts??

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I only recently upgraded from my DroidX to an S3. The X is good, and coming from the Eris will be more capable -- screen-estate, faster processor, better camera, and, frankly, some nice mods by Motorola that I miss on the S3 (tagging pictures, for one). the X has hardware buttons, not capacitive, but no trackball. IME, the screen is good, but my first had a hardware issue, in that when it was cold (less than 70°), the top half of the screen was snowy -- warrany replacement. The screen itself isn't as silky smooth as either the S3, or iPhone 4/4s/5. Also, the speaker cuts out -- headphone jack was/is fine, but a reset (power off/on cycle) fixed the sound…for a while. No cause found…
    Loved the rubberized case, never slipped out of my hand (unless the dog pulled the leash at a bad time). Camera is good, but not the best; I like hardware buttons for the camera (X has them, S3 doesn't); oh, and my X supports 64Gb cards, as does my S3. It is "only" 3G but does well w/ a good signal -- otherwise it sucks the battery down quickly (got a 3500mAh for it, which helped). the phone itself is pretty good (as in, talking ;) ); it has the microUSB jack, so your Eris charger cable won't help, and I had problems w/ the Eris charger (maybe that particular unit) working for the Droid. I bought a Samsung charger & cable from Amazon, works fine ($5, free shipping). one thing, the phone gets *quite*warm* to the touch, when internet is accessed, either 3G or wifi; not the battery, though, below that on the back.
    All in all pretty good; takes mine about 2 minutes to cycle-up from powered down, much longer than the Eris (S3 is ~ 45 seconds)

scjjtt and Drillbit like this.
  3. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Thanks so MUCH for this review!! Been looking everywhere for a personal recommendation! Where can I find the 3,500 mAh extended battery? Amazon? That sounds awesome!! I wish I could compare it to the Bionic, but I don't think I can even justify paying $150 for a temporary replacement phone, and I've heard that the Bionic has a few issues, whereas the Droid X is a tank.

4. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

That is based on four little Cortex A7 cores, that provides roughly equal or even less performance than two dual Krait S300 cores, but probably might be more battery efficient.

5. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

What?? There's an S300 now? Now it's just getting ridiculous!!

Thoughts on the Droid X, DB??

6. RickAgresta

It wasn't Amazon, but I can't find the email from them. The battery itself is 'Gorilla something-or-other' and is okay -- it was cheaper than comparable others, wondering if you get what you pay for -- high prce== good performance? be aware, though, that the size of the battery will make a BIG difference in the thickness of the X, and require a new back-cover (new cover usually ships with the battery). I expect you can find the same or equivalent on Amazon. Good luck!

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I think I'm confused by the first part of this. They voted 2-5 AGAINST GED's? Something is backward there I think (either 5-2 against or 2-5 for, I'd say). And I think I've read that a GED device is coming to Verizon.

8. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

The vote was 2-5 in the decision to bring GEDs to VZW...

I don't think GEDs are a major necessity for VZW (or any other carrier), especially when developer editions already exist, that can ROM a pure vanilla Android experience.

Also, there was talk of Google possibly buying out a major carrier, or using a carrier as an exclusive distributor of GEDs. Not sure if this would apply to Nexus devices as well, but I'd venture a guess that T-Mobile could become an exclusive supplier some ways down the line...

9. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

That still sounds a little backwards - you're describing a decision TO DO something. In that case, the larger (winning) number should come first.

/grammar-nazi-like-rant :)

- Tim

10. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The Krait S300 core is Qualcomm's designation for the Krait cores used on the S600 and S800. The Krait S200 core is the core used on the Qualcomm S4 Pro.

The original Droid X is more advanced than the Droid Eris but it is way too obsolete. If you need a stopgap, there are equally affordable ones around that are considerably more advanced.

11. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Honestly, I'm just reporting verbatim a leak from a Moto phone tester who posted on another site. Really, the biggest part of the leak was that the Moto X is scheduled to debut on October 16th.

Oh, and I'm debating between a Droid X and a Droid X2 as a temporary replacement device now...can anyone give me an opinion between one or the other? Personal experiences would be most welcome, thanks!! I believe both the X & X2 use the same battery due to the same frame/design, correct?

12. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Mi An - I just rooted my phone - just because I used CM 9 and 10 before only means I can follow a YouTube video.

Can you (or anyone else) suggest an easy GUI app to do the editing you described?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

13. RickAgresta

Yes, battery is the same; for a review I'd just go to the Headline News forum and search for 'DroidX2' or some variant, like a space before X2

EDIT: see here-- http://www.brighthand.com/default.a...2 Review Verizon Android Dual Core Smartphone

ps -- I place a great deal of trust in Adama's reviews ;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  14. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Sounds like a decent buy, though at the time it wasn't because it was on the precipice of 4G LTE...the thing about those early 4G handsets is that they were murder on your battery and often times had problems with data connectivity, an example of a common problem on the Droid Bionic. I'd love to get a Bionic, but 1). They're expensive still, around $125, 2). They have those types of problems.

After reading Adama's review, it sounds like the Droid X2 is solid, but unspectacular, which is fine with me as a temporary replacement handset. But, does anyone know why the Droid X is held in such high regard by many (calling it a "tank"), whereas I've heard some complaints from users of the Droid X2, maybe they were fixed with the 2.3 Gingerbread Android update for DX2?? Anyone have an personal experience with the Droid X2??

15. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Droid X and X2 are built like tanks but I find their mechanical buttons to be a bit fragile.

On to other stories, we are seeking a bunch of events happen.

1. The Twitter account @DroidLanding has been reactivated, and is now tweeting again. This account was used to lead to the introduction to the original Droid and made its last tweet two years ago,

2. The HTC Butterfly 2 is now officially introduced. Better specs than the One, with a 1.9Ghz Snapdragon S600, 5" 1080p screen and a humongous 3200mah battery. That's slightly bigger than the Galaxy Note 2's.

3. There are plenty of discounting in what appears as Verizon trying to eliminate remaining inventories of the Droid DNA and Droid Incredible 4G LTE.

This all seems to suggest new incomding Droid phones. Which could be:

1.) The HTC One under a Droid name.
    2.) The Droid DNA 2 or Plus. (HTC Butterfly 2)
    3.) Incoming new Motorola phones under the Droid name.

16. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Thanks for the news on the Droid X2, and yes, the back button on the X2 I'm getting is missing and the person I'm getting it from is currently transplanting the back button off a Droid X to replace it.

Apparently, the Butterfly S announced yesterday isn't the HTC Butterfly 2...it's supposed to be a refresh than a redesign of the DNA's case, similar to the "S" refreshes common to the IPhone. There is supposedly a redesigned Butterfly 2 in the works, but it won't be out until later in 2013, or even 2014.

The outcry of VZW customers who wanted the One are soon going to get it, but it seems like VZW is off the Butterfly line, and is on the One line with all the other carriers now. Previously, it looks like with the One X, S, etc., those phones were always on other carriers than VZW, while VZW got the Butterfly (DNA). Now, it looks like the Butterfly S will remain overseas, while VZW folds up with the other US carriers on the One line, so as to not cannabalize the VZW One's sales...I doubt the US will see the Butterfly S, now that VZW is getting the One, months & months later.

Pretty sure the Ghost/XFON midrange device will debut as a Droid-branded RAZR device, perhaps a combination of the Moto X and RAZR lines as the Droid RAZR X?? It looks like between the VZW One and the RAZR X, these will be the first Droid-branded devices to be released since the DNA last November. The flagship Moto X won't be due until October 16th (approx.), and from its rumored description (page 50 of this thread), I'm wondering if it'll be the Droid X3??

Here is an EVleaked-photo (at full res) from the 10 MP camera with improved optics from the flagship Moto X, pretty sure it's the same camera that's in the Ghost/XFON midrange device as well (just like the flagship RAZR Maxx HD had the same poor 8 MP shooter as the RAZR M):

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/347555046440968192

What do you think?? Seems pretty awesome to me, especially for a Motorola phone!!

EDIT: If you zoom in on the fake wood on her desk, there is a LOT of image noise, but I think I'd still peg this camera as better than the one on the Nexus 4, if not the GS3 as well.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  17. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Sorry, I mistyped. I was referring to the Butterfly S and not the Butterfly 2. In any case, this one seems more up my alley than the One, a faster processor, 5" screen and a bigger battery is hard to beat.

On the Motorola camera, I say that looks pretty good.

18. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Depending on the dimensions, yeah, I'd go with the Butterfly S...still don't think it comes stateside now that VZW is getting the One.

Good to hear about the Motorola camera, it'll be the same 10MP camera between the GHost/XFON & the Moto X. How would you say it compares to the IP5, GS4, GS3, or even the DNA/UltraPixel-One??

Really thought Samsung would debut a GS4 with LTE-Advanced & Snapdragon 800 processor, in light of Samsung's CEO's comments last week of such a device set to debut next month, but I still think it may be too soon for those S800 chips which are supposed to be only just produced starting this month.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/1...port-for-lte-advanced-as-early-as-next-month/

19. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The GS3 and Note 2 got pretty good cameras. The Note 2 over the GS3 for some reason.

The Nexus 4 has a pretty good camera, especially with close ups. I do a lot of flower pics and that helps. The Note 2 I must add, is pretty good with close ups too.

The DNA has a camera that is overall better than the Nexus 4. Except on close ups, that's where the Nexus 4 beats it. I would say the DNA has a fantastic camera for outdoor shoots.

I would be quite happy to have a camera like on the Motorola XFon. Ultrapixel is very good for low light situations, but for blowups and cropping, you need more megapixels.

S800 powered Galaxy S4 is for Korean market only, mainly for carriers that have LTE Advanced network. That is like 300mbps download, with a top theoritical of 1Gbps. That is way way more advanced than what is available in the US right now.

20. Virinder

Virinder Mobile Deity

Bummer about the S800-powered GS4, but apparently VoLTE should blow out that LTE-Advanced network out of the water, and the Moto X is supposed to be VoLTE-capable. The Verizon GS4 was supposedly delayed so it could be AWS-capable (Advanced Wireless Spectrum), and that supposed to be VZW's next data connectivity step.

I wonder how the Moto X's camera fares in low light vs. the Ultrapixel, as well as outdoor shots...hope it's at least as good overall as the Note 2. Does the Droid X2 have the same camera as the predecessor, Droid X?? The shutter speed is supposed to be much faster, but the picture quality seems to diminish from that of the DX, at least from some photos I've seen...

Whatchu think of the LG event set for August 7th, pretty sure the LG Optimus 2 will have the S800 inside it...but, will it be announced then??

LG Hosting Mobile Event in NYC on August 7 – Droid Life