I'm considering the LG G2 -- looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by jigwashere, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I remember admiring some of LG's bloat once upon a time. Not sure if I still would.

jigwashere likes this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Sprint's bloat is what really kills me. LG at least tries to provide some features a user might appreciate. Sprint intentionally tries to annoy and exploit.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Okay, I just installed a bunch of my own bloat. :)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

related, but somewhat OT: I recently did a system reset on my Droid X, and am amazed at how much faster it is. boots up from power-off in ~45 seconds now, instead of 2+minutes, more responsive in general. of course, I haven't reloaded most of the games&utilities I'd had on it before the reset.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

So far, the phone's working well for me. Signal strength at work is poor, but I'm not sure it's any worse than my E4GT. I haven't seen LTE anywhere, yet. My battery is at 50%, which is way better than my E4GT.

I'm still learning the features. The Sprint variant actually has an FM Radio, but doesn't come with an app. I downloaded NextRadio from the Play store (read about it here: FAQs » NextRadio), plugged in my headphones as an antenna, and the darn thing works!

I like the knock to turn on/off feature, mainly because I fumble with the back button. So far, I don't mind the volume rocker on the back. In fact, it's especially nice to have it there for phone calls.

Wireless storage is similar to Kies. I turn it on, it gives me the device's IP address (which can be made static) along with a userid/pswd, and I can transfer data wirelessly.

I don't like the ring tones. I've never, ever liked polyphonic tones or whatever. I just want a simple "ring ring". Sigh. It's a phone, dammit! Just for fun, maybe I'll record my 8-yr old daughter using her gruffest voice saying, "ring ring: answer me!" and use that. :D Same deal with the alarms and notifications. Can't I just get a few, simple tones instead of the Vienna Boys Choir? (Yes, that's what it has).

The screen is nice and bright, good colors, etc. I'm not picky, though. I guess it's been at 60% the whole time, so I'll have to play with it a bit more. I'm guessing it's better in sunlight than the E4GT.

The camera seems very good, so far. Again, I haven't had much time to play with it.

I haven't installed Nova Launcher, yet. I'll probably do that tonight. The stock launcher is pretty decent, though.

QSlide apps seem pretty cool, but I'm guessing I won't have much use for them. I still haven't tried the IR blaster (Quick Remote).

One nice feature -- I'm not sure it's stock OS or add-on -- is the task manager. You can schedule it to auto clear RAM every so often as well as select apps to stop their services.

It's still very new and I have a lot to play with. I'm guessing most of the features will end up not getting used -- they seem to be there to WOW the user, but not necessarily useful in day-to-day usage. Maybe I'm wrong. :)

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The battery app estimates how long it'll take to charge. For example, it said that from 25% it'd take 1 hour 22 min to full charge.

I stated previously that I could set a static IP on the device for consistent wireless storage access. I saw that in the reviews, but don't see the option with the Sprint variant. :(

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The meenova card reader arrived today! Yippee!

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Hook likes this.
  9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Wow Jig - I had not heard that the LG G2's camera moved like that - but was it REALLY inspired by chickens - that just seems fowl:D.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g

jigwashere likes this.