I'm considering the LG G2 -- looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by jigwashere, Nov 29, 2013.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

It looks like I can get the LG G2 this weekend for $50 using my upgrade discount with Sprint. I'm balancing this against the Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, or perhaps waiting for the Galaxy S5.

2. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Sounds like a deal to me.

jigwashere likes this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

The GS4 is a very very good phone. The main thing I had against it is the fact that the Google spell check is disabled, (I think it has something to do with Apple's lawsuit with Samsung). It's available on the N4 and I'm sure the N5. This is why I rooted my phone and my friend found a ROM that has the spell check enabled.

If you wait for the GS5 - you won't get it for $50.

I don't know about the LG G2 - but I think I would really enjoy a Nexus phone but the GS4 does allow me the extra memory and a removable battery - which are important to me.

Another nice thing about the GS4 - you can get all the accessories you'd ever want from multiple sources. But just a note on that - I ordered Samsung chords and chargers from a different source than Samsung: they say Samsung - look like Samsung but I don't think they charge at 2 amp like my original Samsung AND connecting the chord to my computer and phone - the computer will not see and read the phone BUT if I use the original chord - my computer sees and reads the phone immediately.

Good luck Jig on your decision!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2.4.15 - which you can still get at: https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/not-ready-to-upgrade-try-this.20754/

jigwashere likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Jig, while I'm pretty darn sure you'd be good with any of those options, I'd go with the S4 primarily because of the memory slot; not sure if LG G2 has removable back, for battery access. The one thing I'd worry about with the S4 is battery life -- the S3 sucks in that area (personal experience speaking), don't know if that was fixed for the S4. I'm okay, if data is off. Totally off -- I've disabled background & it didn't help.

jigwashere likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The LG G2 ($50 for me) is similar in size and shape to the Nexus 5 ($150 for me). I've read the Nexus 5 was based on the G2. On paper, the G2 has better specs than the Nexus 5, but reviewers don't seem to like the G2's software. Consumer reviews seem to be generally positive, though.

The G2 doesn't have a removable battery or external memory. It does have 32GB internal memory vs 16GB on the Sprint Nexus 5. I've read the G2 battery is stellar, and I can adjust to using external batteries and charger. Same goes for memory. I'll buy Meenova.

There are instructions for rooting the G2, but I'm not sure developer support will be very strong. Also, I've heard LG isn't great about updates.

....gotta run! The kids need leftovers, and my wife wants me to put a movie on.

RickAgresta, Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

The G2 for $50 is a pretty unbeatable deal. To be honest, while I love my Nexus 5 (32GB) it is largely what I can get at full price unlocked that drives my buying decisions and why I have pretty much always ended up with a Nexus. I'm pretty sure if I had a contract plan I would be much more likely to end up with an S4 or Note 2 or 3 for memory card and battery options as well as long term peripheral/accessory support.

And, honestly, while getting updates first is fun and cool, as Android matures, it is becoming less and less of a big deal as differences between versions is becoming less and less dramatic and more about refinements.

I don't think you have a bad option in the list. Pick what gets you more of what you want at the price you prefer. :newpalm:

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Okay, I survived 'Bridesmaids.' I might have to stay up late and watch Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007) - IMDb so I can sleep.

Thanks for your comments, Hook. You're spot on. My E4GT has been giving me trouble and I'd love to get something different right now. The price is right for the G2. I could wait for the S5, but who's to say it'll be both perfect (and there will be a perfect phone, someday) as well as affordable? Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to see one (again) in person and make my decision.

Thanks, everyone! 0097.gif

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I still haven't gotten out to the Sprint store, but one concern I have relates to rooting. It looks like the root method out there will trip the LG rootchecker, voiding the warranty. Whenever I've rooter in the past, I've been able to reverse the process in the event of needing warranty work. Hopefully root methods will improve, otherwise I'll have to think twice about this.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

That is one advantage of Nexus phones-- the easiest to root and unroot. I assume the S4 would be easier in your situation as I think Samsungs have pretty good rooting support the same way they have good accessory support. The advantage of a popular brand. I don't know that, but would be my guess.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Sprint's website says the $50 price is good through Monday, but there are rumors it'll be free on cyberMonday. I like rumors like that.

Mi An likes this.