If You've Made TX Repairs With Chris Short, A Few Questions...

Discussion in 'Palm' started by lelisa13p, Jul 29, 2017.

1. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

When you have done the hard reset you might want to do a NVBackup of the TX and save it somewhere safe just in case power button or whatever fails in the future
    http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/restoring-from-card-nv-backup.260402/

Every time I use my Android tablet and phone I get annoyed with their mega bloatware, endless ads and constant updating, it's in these moments I miss the TX. With a good browser and a touch screen (not essential) the TX2 could/would have been a thing of beauty

Have fun with your 'new' TXs

All the best, woz of oz

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Great link, woz. :newpalm:

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My initial reaction was to wholeheartedly agree, but after a reality check...nope. Browser on mobile devices then and now aren't very useful for me. I can get a high percentage of satisfaction using just the browser on my PC or Chromebook, but on my mobile devices (TX, 755P, smartphones, etc.) web apps rule for everything (video streaming, email, newsfeeds, finances, etc.). I have no bloatware on my Android phone and block most ads, updates usually happen behind the scenes, it's fast, doesn't crash, pairs easily w/bluetooth devices, and while it has a gigantic screen it's far more pocketable than the TX or 755P. Nope. Don't miss my TX all that much. :)

wozofoz, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I have to agree with you. I recently fired up my Treo Pro as I stumbled upon it while cleaning the bedroom. It fell under my nightstand, and let's just say... the things that hide under there... scary! It brought back memories of what it was like to use the device. However, I found it painful to use. Clunky, and dang near every internet facing program no longer works. Web browser works insomuch that it can get to the web, but it lacks the ability to properly parse the web as a service apps. In essence, it is nearly worthless. It's great for a trip down memory lane, but I'd never keep using it. Palm OS was far less reliant upon the web to do many tasks. So there is a far better chance of those pieces still working. But at what point does the trade-off of having these programs that are by far limited to the device, and may rely on a now depreciated sync technology, worth it? For fun, yeah I'd power up a device just to relive it. But, not much more. That's my own view. You're free to do as you like. They are personal devices, after all. :)

wozofoz, scjjtt, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  5. lelisa13p

The bird is on the wing. :vbsmile:

A comedy of errors. After wiping both devices, copied both daily-use SD cards to laptop since last backup was in Dec 2012. :vboops: Happy that I had a box that would work (6x6x6). Put TXs in box along with as much tiny-bubble bubble wrap as the box could hold. Sealed (laminated :vbwink: ) with a lot of clear shipping tape. Congratulated self. :vbgrin: Realized that I'd left out the paperwork :vbeek: so performed surgery on portion of box to allow the insertion of strategically folded paperwork. Applied more tape. Congratulated self again. :vbsmile: Uh oh. Forgot to include the check for payment. :vbfrown: More surgery; more tape. :vbrolleyes: Finally got box to UPS for shipping, paying extra so box would arrive at Dr. Short's Palm Hospital on Friday morning. Nope, I'm not anxious. :vbtongue:

:vbgrin:

6. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Roooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddtttttrrrrrriiiiiiippppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :newpalm: :newpalm: :newpalm:

7. lelisa13p

HAHAHAHAHA! :vbgrin: These TXs aren't nearly as daring as Hookette so I don't anticipate reading about them in the Inquirer. :vbtongue:

jigwashere, wozofoz and Hook like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

How does it feel to be an empty nester? :)

9. lelisa13p

Awful! :vbfrown: They've never been out of my vicinity. :vbeek:

:vbgrin: :vbfrown: :vbgrin:

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  10. lelisa13p

Signed in at the hospital this morning before lunch. :vbsmile: I hope they work on easy stuff on Saturdays, too (if needed). :vbwink:

Hook and jigwashere like this.