If You've Made TX Repairs With Chris Short, A Few Questions...

Discussion in 'Palm TX' started by lelisa13p, Jul 29, 2017.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

In line with all of the recommendations that I've given over the years for Chris Short's repair services, finally it's my turn. :vbsmile:

I've put off sending my 2 Palm TXs away for new batteries and new glass digitizers apparently for far too long. :vbeek: TX #1 has a swollen back due to the old battery but holds a charge long enough to actually get something done in Calendar, if only the input would register accurately on the screen. THIS WEEK IT NOW MISBEHAVES FOR 99% OF THE TIME. :vbfrown: :vbmad: :vbfrown: TX #2 just needs a battery because it won't hold a charge for longer than 2 mins, tops, and will also get the glass digitizer replacement because why not? :vbrolleyes: They are old (2007) and I'm surprised that it took this long for me to be forced up against a wall. :vboops: Lucky me that my iOS devices are my primaries.

The questions are:

1) Did you have the OS upgraded (TX2 ROM) in order to add the SDHC factor and is it now realistically necessary? I'm still using 4GB SD cards and don't know if I need to bother, unless regular SD cards are in danger of extinction.

2) With new glass digitizers, are screen protectors still needed? Every Palm I have has got one installed and Chris will do it, so I'm inclined to go ahead. OTOH, both TXs are well protected in sturdy aluminum cases. That pocket grit that used to vex us and invite stylus scratch is not a factor. What say ye?

3) Should I send them off together to minimize shipping expense? I plan to use the RUSH option. Putting all of my eggs in one basket goes against my basic internal wiring :vbwink: but I'm cheap - um, thrifty. :vbgrin:

Please help a girl out because this item is on my ToDo for next week (first of August.) :vbsmile: TIA, of course.

RickAgresta, Mi An, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

1) I did more or less because it wasn't that expensive, but truth to tell, I'm not sure it makes that much difference. Does the TX do 4G out of the box? Shows how much I've forgotten. If so, you probably don't need more but smaller cards are getting harder to find. Upshot: I liked geting a clean flash, but not necessary.

2) You know I'm the wrong person to ask on this... ;-)

3) Your eggs are safe in Chris' basket, and sounds like they aren't that useful right now anyway. Get it done! Unless... you are trying to decide if you could live with only one TX and save money that way. :vbwink:

3. lelisa13p

Thanks! :vbsmile: TX does indeed handle up to 4GB SD cards without any extra effort, but that's the limit. I have no plans to become a single TX user. :vbtongue: I've always liked having a backup device, except both of them decided to simultaneously go on strike and here I am. :vbrolleyes:

The thought of wiping both devices at once freaks me out :vbeek: although I have perfectly functional backups of each on a nitely basis. :thumbsup:

4. Hook

By the way, in case you are wondering, I was able to restore my old NVBackup just fine to the new TX2 ROM.

Good luck. You are for a real treat when you get them back. Especially that glass digitizer. :newpalm:

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Nope, TX2 upgrade is not a requirement to use the SDHC driver. None of my TXs ever had the upgrade, and they have SDHC installed and properly read those cards. BTW, the SDHC driver is free, along with all other apps by Dmitry Grinberg.
    I'm very biased here, kind of like Hook above, but on the opposite side :D : IMO screen protectors are always necessary. PDAs, phones, portable amp, etc. I've never been bothered by the slight decrease in brightness, viewing angle, etc., when using a good screen protector, but I have had more than one screen severely scratched by a tiny, unseen particle on the screen. Right now my LG v10 has a plastic screen protector (Gorilla Glass 4 and MIL-STD 810G specs aside, I prefer to err on the safe side) and it has a 4cm scratch on the lower right side. The screen underneath is pristine, though :newpalm:
    I wouldn't hesitate to put all eggs on Chris's basket... Even though I haven't used his repair service, I've only purchased spares and devices from him and got some very good advice too. I'd say go ahead, wipe both devices, send them, and get ready for the awesomeness of the glass digitizers and new batteries.

Almost forgot to say, I keep one TX alive and with my apps and data, a second one with the battery disconnected and memory wiped, and a third one disassembled and also memory wiped. I can transfer my NVBackup between them if needed, no hassle at all. I wouldn't worry about doing this either :)

Mi An, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  6. Hook

Right, sorry, forgot to answer that part of the question. While Dimitri may have added a couple of his small fixes, none of his major apps are part of the ROM. What he mostly did, I believe, is get rid of a lot of the Palm bloatware we used to have to ignore. It does include some additional software like Filez, some of it of questionable licensing, like the Netfront browser, but since internet on a TX is hopeless anyway at this point, I don't worry about it much. However, I did it out of curiosity and while to me it was worth $9 to lose the bloatware, it really may not be to you.

Here is an old BH thread about it, although mostly it turns into the usual debate about Dimitri's methods. In todays world of (Android) ROMs, it seems a little overblown.

http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/dmitrys-at-it-again-custom-tx-rom-tx2.223944/

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

My 2¢…
    Unless I'm mistaken, the replacement digitizer is only glass-backed; the surface is plastic. I'm pretty sure this is the case w/ mine, at least, as I can quite easily see 'use marks' my stylus has left (mostly from playing 'Mines'). of course, that was purchased long ago, and not from Chris; it's certainly possible that new replacement digitizers now have a glass surface.

wozofoz, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  8. Hook

Yes, Chris says so in the description of the glass-backed digitizer. The top layer is tough plastic.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  9. lelisa13p

Woo hoo! Thanks, you guys! :thumbsup: I can just install the SDHC driver if I decide I need it. I think I have a downloaded copy of it on an external HD, along with a boatload of all my other heritage Palm stuff. :vbsmile:

Screensavers all around! I'd already check-marked that box on the order form. :vbsmile: Planning to pack those babies up tomorrow (Sunday) and take a trip to the Post Office on Monday. :newpalm: In true BH/TX traveling tradition, I'll be expecting to be distracted by all of you fine folks during the Road Trip. :vbgrin:

Also, pirate.gif , I get an error page when I try to use your signature TX link using Firefox. :vbfrown: It had been a while since I looked around there so I thought I might.

10. Hook

Thanks for reminding me. I need to make a note in the sig as my domain is temporarily down as the drive hosting it is being replaced. Not sure how long it will be down.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.