Idiot-Proof Install for JPilot TX/Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon?

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by rlaurio, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlaurio

rlaurio TX Enthusiast

Yes, I'm pleased that it worked - but jpilot won't let me install a text reader (or any other program, for that matter), and, without a way to add/read/edit large text files, I'm not sure the TX is all that useful to me anymore.

2. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

Just use a card reader....

Are you wanting to edit them on the Palm or on your Linux system?

3. rlaurio

rlaurio TX Enthusiast

Both - but mostly on my Linux system. I could live without the ability to read them on the TX, although I was hoping to do some proofreading and that would go easier if I could tag the text where it needed fixing.

I don't have a program on my TX to read texts from the card. My CardTXT went bad when I did a reset, and I need to re-install it - but I haven't been able to install it with JPilot.

4. rlaurio

rlaurio TX Enthusiast

It's a good thing I wrote down exactly what I did. I tried to install CardTXT again, it killed JPilot again, and I'm having to un-install JPilot and try again.

Maybe it isn't the install feature of JPilot but the CardTXT program itself that's causing the problem. I'll try another text reader once I get JPilot installed again.

5. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

I'm glad, too-- I had to reinstall and ran into problems getting jpilot to work.

6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I've never had any problems getting J-Pilot to work. You do need to make sure the correct device is set, and you need to click the hotsync icon in J-Pilot before initiating the hotsync on the Palm, but it always works for me if the settings are correct. It can be difficult to get the right USB device set, though. The easiest way is to let KPilot find the Palm, and then use whatever settings it comes up with in J-Pilot. I have never had a problem at all using wifi sync, with net:any as the device.

7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

One thing that would save folks a lot of trouble id to use Pruss' MyInstall. You setup a MyInstall folder on your SD card and put all the apps you want to install there via a card reader. Then run the MyInstall program and it happily installs them to your TX, smooth as silk and bob's your uncle. Then all Jpilot has to do is the PIMs.

8. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I generally do manual installs. I never use J-Pilot, hotsync, or anything else. I tend to download apps to my SD card, and use HandZipper to handle the .zip file. It will display any text files in the archive, such as readme and documentation, and put the .prc files in memory. I may also just put the .prc files into the /Palm/Launcher folder on the card, and use FileProg to do the copy to the handheld. I have Pruss's apps installed, but find I rarely use them. It's just more work to put the apps into the install folder, and also into the Launcher folder, because I like to keep copies there. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.