iCal, Palm TX and the Missing Sync

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by liesl, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liesl

liesl Newbie

Hi All,
    I use iCal for my calendar events and have several calendars for the different aspects of my work. I've decided to get a Palm as the travelling in my work is increasing. I read that the Missing Sync will actually sync the different calendars as long as you assigned them the same colors. I downloaded the demo version to try and installed it in a spare Mac to test. I use iSync to sync the mac and the PDA. I recreated all the calendars in iCal as Categories in the Palm and assigned the same colors as what was instructed by the Missing Sync. But when I sync, every event in the iCal went to my Palm as "unfiled". I am aware that from Palm to iCal, events will be classified as "unfiled", one of the known bugs. But I don't understand why from iCal to Palm, it's not putting the event in the right category. I have thousands of entry in the iCal in my main computer all categorized by different calendars. Am I doing something wrong or is the Missing Sync not worth it? All advice will be much appreciated.
    Liesl

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello liesl, Welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D

I am not a MAC user myself but from what I have heard from others (mainly at the Pimlico Datebk Yahoo group) you will always lose your categories when using iCal. It seems to be a recurring problem with that program ...

But I am sure Mac users more knowledgeable then me will chime in to help you further on this :)

3. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

Liesl -

I'm not familiar with this issue so I'll have to do some testing. In the mean time, did you run Software update to make sure that you have the latest versions of iCal and iSync installed? Have you checked for updates to the Missing Sync?

Alan G

4. imported_orca

imported_orca Mobile Evangelist

The Missing Sync is composed of two components: the synchronization engine and the conduits. The synchronization engine manages the multiple conduits that you have configured. One available conduit is Apple's iSync conduit. Unfortunately, it's rather lacking in capability. You should use the Missing Sync's conduits instead of iSync.

1. Open the Missing Sync.
    2. Click on the Conduits tab
    3. Uncheck the iSync conduit
    4. Check the following conduits:
      • Mark/Space Contacts
      • Mark/Space Events
      • Mark/Space Tasks
      • Mark/Space MemoPad

If everything is configured properly in iCal, you might want to make sure that you set the conduits so that "Desktop overwrites handheld," as that should avoid problems with duplicate items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.