I spent a few days with Motorola’s Ready For desktop mode — it’s not ready for anything

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, May 19, 2021.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Hook, raspabalsa and jigwashere like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I can't say for certain what the Moto experience might be like, but I do know that I've got my Note 20 Ultra connected to Dex most days. It's a pretty solid experience, and allows me to do things with greater ease in contrast to trying to do them with a blunt finger, simply by using a mouse and keyboard. I can access everything I need both personal and work on the same display, without mixing work info into personal, etc. I don't use my personal device for work, outside of keeping my work email in Aqua Mail. It's not setup as a system wide account, so it has no access to any other parts of my life.

Hook, RickAgresta, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  3. scjjtt

HC - that is a definite benefit of using Dex and is what I did with my Palm Centro explained before.

I use MightyText to text from my phone using my computer to read and send texts. It is not as robust as Textra, especially when it comes to using groups, but it works.

Google has some way to connect your phone to your Chromebook or Chrome on a PC. I looked into it but it didn't seem to be of any more of a benefit to me.

Since I use Google's suite and mail - everything is up to date going from one device to another. The only think I miss is being able to dial from my tablet or Chromebook or PC - and I believe that there is a way to do that, but I just use the phone as a phone in those occasions.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Hook, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  4. headcronie

I really want to try Moto's Ready for Desktop. The things about resizing aren't really a fault of Moto, that's on the individual app developer. Certainly not a deal breaker, and actually allows for more open windows. That's been my experience of it at least.

I've stopped using MightyText as Dex allows me to do that, and without a fee. That, and Dex allows me to message in all my apps like Signal, Messenger, Chat, etc. I've not looked into connecting my phone to a Chromebook. The work I do, just isn't very translatable to a Chromebook. I've also not tied my phone to my PC using MyPhone app. While it might be cool, the requirement to use a Microsoft account to tie your phone, and all of the data contained therein seems like another data grab. Google already knows far too much about me, while Samsung isn't far behind. I don't need to sign into Microsoft to have yet another party siphon off my data.

You can dial from Dex, as well as answer from Dex when connected. Works for both the native dialer as well as Google Voice. Works for me as I work from home, and don't mind talking into an empty room. If you're in an office, it's far more likely that you'd want to just use the phone as a phone. ;)

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I think the writer missed the point completely. He kept saying that "Ready For" is best suited for games and entertainment, and compared it negatively to other options (Chromecast or other screen mirroring or streaming) when it seems Ready For is a productivity environment, much like Samsung's Dex. Not once did the author say something about running actual work apps like Word, Excel, or their Google counterparts. The only work he attempted was using Chrome and then he complained that Android's version has no extensions, as if that's Motorola's fault.

From the article, it sounds like Ready For is a sound alternative to Dex, if maybe a little less polished. This is to be expected since it's a newer product. In the 1.5 years I've been using Dex there have been many enhancements. I hope both environments continue to evolve. I really think we're getting close to the point where laptops are no longer a must-have in the office, or at home. Mine is seldom used at home, and at work the only thing missing from Dex is a real, good, CAD app. I can still dream about that, though :)

Scott, my DIY cradle doesn't have a second fan (yeah I saw what you did there :) ) because it doesn't need one, as it's merely used as a stand. But my Dex cradle does have one, right under the Deadpool sticker. So there's no reason to be jealous. Or maybe there is. Mine looks a lot flashier :cool:.

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  6. headcronie

Nice observations, Raspy! I didn't catch that upon first read.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

That article is absolutely a wide open target, for a strong, well thought out comment, raspy. im-just-sayingSMALL.jpeg

8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Man, my tech memory is failing on me, because I was trying to remember which Android phone (I haven't own that many) it was that turned into a pseudo desktop PC, and couldn't remember. In my defense, it turns out that it was actually my very first Android phone -- a Sprint HTC EVO 4G. In addition to a micro USB port, it had a mini HDMI port on it, too. I was able to hook it up to an external monitor and my folding Palm bluetooth keyboard worked perfectly on it. I don't think Android supported mouse input back then.

For what it was hardware wise (and running Android Gingerbread), it was a pretty impressive experience. It became THE phone to have for rooting/ROMing. I've never had a phone since (not even the Nexus 6) that had anywhere close to that level of 3rd-party ROM support. In fact, the phone spoiled me. I felt like everything else was downhill from there (with regard to 3rd-party support). Even after a long career in IT, I still find it funny that sometimes some of the first tech was (at least in some ways) some of the best in terms of features and support.

9. scjjtt

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

IP, I mentioned in another thread that there was also the Motorola Atrix series of phones, for which you could get a laptop dock, a media dock (for TVs mostly), and a 'power dock' which was meant for attaching it to your desktop, etc. There was also a mobile dock for cars so you could use it for navigation. It was a brilliant concept, but ruined by the special interface that you had to use when the phone was plugged in. It didn't mirror the phone screen, but was an independent, clunky interface.

Asus also sold something called the PadFone, which allowed you to slot your phone into the back of a tablet. This way you didn't need to pay twice for a CPU and memory, etc.

I really think these companies are missing the boat on this market niche.

internetpilot, Hook, scjjtt and 3 others like this.