I need to vent... (I didn't even notice BH had a Garmin forum!)

Discussion in 'Garmin' started by r0k, Feb 16, 2016.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

OUCH. That really sucks, r0k! Garmin has been a weird one the last few years; I think they've churned out so many new models it's hard to measure their quality vs quantity anymore. The 220 is the one without a heart rate monitor on the wrist, right?

Can't help you much, except to say when I was training regularly for 1/2 marathons, I found my cheap digital Timex to work as a fallback when my Garmin was dead. Sometimes I still miss that old beater watch.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, r0k and 1 other person like this.
  2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

You don't have to have a backup watch. Just back up your data. If the Garmin won't let you do that, get something that will. Your data should be backed up in multiple places. I have the data I care about backed up on multiple drives at home, on Dropbox, on Box, and on Google Drive. I used to have it on Copy, but that closed down. That's why I have it on all the others. Are there any apps for your phone that will do what the Garmin does? A phone is easier to back up, and easier to restore data to. I know it's heavier, but it might be worth the effort. I can't really say, because when I resigned from the Army about 35 years ago, I swore that I would never run again unless someone was threatening me with a gun or a really big knife. Small knives weren't going to scare me into running. I walk a lot, but I do not run.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, r0k and 2 others like this.
  3. r0k

r0k Dazed

The 220 has a heart rate monitor chest strap interface via bluetooth. I use the chest strap. I figure if Meb can use one, I can. Perhaps my next watch will have wrist heartrate (I mean besides my Apple Watch which is relatively useless for running).

I have my data in Garmin's cloud and manually typed in to my own cloud in an excel spreadsheet, but you bring up a good point. I don't have all the gps plots for my data backed up and if Garmin were to go poof tomorrow, all my times, splits, cadences, heartrates and GPS routes would go poof as well. The only thing I'd have are my total distances and total times. I think I'll investigate downloading it all for offline backup.

I just checked the Garmin site and I have to export my runs one at a time to get everything. I need to set aside time to do this at least for any longer runs (half marathons and up) and intervals.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I have nothing to add except that I <3 Meb. I am never the type to buy something because an athlete does, but I did give serious thought to Skechers. In the end I just bought Meb's book and silently root for him to kick butt all the time. I don't think I've ever read anything about him other than that he's incredibly talented, humble, and kind...

lelisa13p and r0k like this.
  5. r0k

r0k Dazed

I highly recommend Meb's book, "Meb for Mortals." It was a GREAT read. May I also recommend "Hanson's Marathon Method" or "Hanson's Half Marathon Method." I didn't buy the uncomfortable heartrate corset because Meb wears one, but in his Youtube videos he is still wearing one. It might be that he's too cheap to spring for one of the newer wrist heartrate monitor watches. It's more likely because he wants the advanced sensing a chest strap gives that wrist rate monitors still cannot do. I spent some time speaking with the Garmin engineers both at the Freep marathon expo and at the Disney marathon expo and they explained some of the tradeoffs between their watch models, and their heartrate sensing technologies. When I say "Meb wears one," I'm really thinking if Meb can continue to put up with that uncomfortable contraption, there's no compelling reason for me to ditch mine in favor of the newer wrist based sensing as it would be a bit extravagant for me to replace a sensor I've only owned a few months.

As for Skechers, I don't particularly dislike them they just aren't on my radar. Perhaps they are providing free shoes for Meb to test? There was an Ethiopian marathoner whose Nike (prototype) shoes came apart at mile 3 who continued to run basically barefoot for the next 23 miles and still almost PR'd so shoes aren't really that big a deal for an experienced runner.

At the Disney marathon, Skechers didn't even rate a booth on the main floor. For now, as an amateur looking mostly for comfort during training and lightweight during races, I'm running with the following:

• Brooks (5 types: 14mm drop lightweight T7, 4mm drop lightweight Pureflow, Glycerin, Launch, and the heavy but keeping my feet dry in sloppy weather Ghost GTX),
    • Newton (Boco AT trail shoes),
    • Saucony (the new 4mm drop lightweight Zealot) and
    • Mizuno (Enigma).
    I ditched my Asics Nimbus due to the smaller toe box and while Nike and New Balance have some outstanding running shoes, I've never really liked them. My Glycerine's and Ghost GTX's days are numbered as they are both passing 400 miles which is the normal predicted life for running shoes.

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Men is famously sponsored by Skechers because they picked him up after Nike dumped him for being "too old". Jokes on them since his career trajectory exploded back up after that.

I use Brooks Pureflows (to be fair, Brooks did give them to me to review, but damn are they great shoes). I've used some of the Merrell connect shoes, and some were ok while one pair (the Allout Fuse) exacerbated a knee issue badly.

Only shoe I have ever regretted was the Nike Equalon. I didn't know any better when I bought them and the running store guy swore up and down I needed a super stability shoe for my flat feet. As it turns out, the lighter the better for me, and absolutely no medial post or stability tech because it makes my bad knee scream in agony immediately.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and r0k like this.
  7. r0k

r0k Dazed

Which Pureflow do you have 3? 4? 5? I had the 4 and had to return it and exchange for the 5 because the 3 had an asymmetric heel that had my ankle rolling outward if I did a heel strike. My back was sore every time I wore them for more than a 5K. I even had film made of me running in each shoe and showed it to the brooks rep. BTW, How come Brooks doesn't ask me to review any shoes? How'd you get hooked up with that sweet deal?

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

r0k and lelisa13p like this.