I need to vent... (I didn't even notice BH had a Garmin forum!)

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by r0k, Feb 16, 2016.

1. r0k

r0k Dazed

I've heard of waking up an old thread. How about waking up an old FORUM? This forum doesn't appear to have been touched since.... 2005?!?

[rant]

Today I needed to run 10.5 miles while on a business trip in Seoul. I ran a half marathon over here Sunday and I'm training for my third marathon in California in May. Now comes the rant: I ran 5.5 and my Garmin Forerunner 220 just died. After the second of five one mile intervals.

But the Garmin dying was just the buzzing flies on the horsepoop day I had. First of all our meetings ran late which meant we didn't start on the way to the hotel until 6 instead of 5. Then we missed the subway by a few minutes. Then we went to the wrong track and had to go down two flights and over to the correct track. Then we had to sit through 12 slow stops. Finally we walked in... to a mandatory 7pm meeting! Yuk! Remember I was supposed to run tonight? It was already dark and getting 1 degree colder an hour. Finally the meeting broke up so I headed to my room to get dressed for my run. I thought I'd take my Macbook out of the safe to check email. But the safe was broke. So now I had to wait for the hotel engineer to come override the broken lock so I could get my computer out. So a run that should have started at 530 and ended before the mandatory 7pm meeting didn't get started until 830 and when it didn't go right there was no time to recover! I've got to be up and out of here by 630 in the morning to catch an early bullet train at a station halfway across town. Not to worry. If I miss the fast train, there's a much slower one leaving later.

I'm typing this at 11pm. I didn't run long enough to get tired enough to sleep well. But wait there's more. Now that the watch had died, Garmin has a little doodoo, ahem I mean feature that when the watch resets, it needs you to go outside, which in this case means the roof of my hotel in 25 degree weather FOR TWENTY MINUTES to get a satellite signal before you can do anything whatsoever. So after 20 minutes freezing in my sweaty running clothes on the roof waiting for a signal, I finally got to the screen that confirmed my worst fears. All my data was permanently gone, including stuff already uploaded to Garmin connect but also including tonight's run. Simply wiped. So I've lost running time. I've lost sleep. I've lost irrecoverable data. And more importantly Ive lost confidence in Garmin as my main method of doing interval training.

People had to run marathons for decades before GPS even came online and I'm gonna figure out what they did and do that. This Garmin piece of crap is one step closer to going in the same junk drawer with my Apple watch. It's great when it works but when it breaks in 20 degree weather in the middle of a run when I'm on an unfamiliar trail utterly dependent on GPS to tell me when each interval is done and 8000 miles from home it's a wakeup call that I can no longer pretend isn't a huge problem in my life: too much reliant on little bits of silicon with varying flavors of awful software to get me though my day.

Technology in all its forms from the Nest thermostat that decides I'm away when I'm one room away to the Apple watch that sees a long sleeve as a swipe on its touchscreen to a Garmin that loses my data to a work computer that can't get on and stay on VPN to web sites that persistently snap back to Korean no matter how many times I pick english to digital hotel safes that fail to unlock I've just about had it with all this stuff that allegedly makes my life easier. It's time for me to consider becoming a full on pencil and day-planner wielding flip-phone-carrying technophobe!

I finally got the watch to work but can I trust it for my next workout? Should I take it back to REI and get another model? (The 620 or 630 perhaps?) I think I need to run with an hourglass. It will help my running posture if I have to keep it level so that sand flows just right...

[/rant]

lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

liked not because of your woes, Jeff; it was a great, well thought out rant. I truly hope things improve. at least with an hourglass, you don't have the restriction to only use it when the sun is up, like you would with a sun-dial...

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

No device is infallible. To belive otherwise is is foolish. Relying on a single device or service without backup that is considered essential is a great way to get yourself fired in the tech world. Why would you do any less for a personal device or service that you deem essential?

Sent from my Samsung Note IV

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

My Apple Watch was absolutely miserable at logging runs. I mean it really sucked for winter runs because it can't tell the difference between long sleeves and my finger touching its screen. I have no use for a touchscreen on my wrist of all places during a run (which is why I refuse to buy the "upgraded" Garmin with a touchscreen.)

In the spring, summer and early fall with short sleeves AW is ok, but in weather like we're having in Detroit or in Korea right now (around 0 celcius) AW is worse than useless. For a while, my iPhone and AW were a backup to my Garmin but the batteries won't make it through a full marathon and sometimes not even a half so why bother? I ran a half marathon this past Sunday. Why should I bother pulling my phone out of its running pouch, waking it up, logging in with my sweaty thumb and fishing around for the running app when on my Garmin I can push a button with my gloves on?

As for a backup running watch? Then I'd have three things on my wrist! Still your point is well taken. I guess I need to start a running app on my phone next time. But here's the thing. The phone is OK for capturing data but it's still not able to do intervals. I've tried multiple apps and they all epic fail. When warm weather (someday) returns, I'll be able to use my AW and iPhone again but for now when I'm doing intervals, I'm at the mercy of my Garmin... No wait... I mean hourglass!
    [​IMG]

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

In reading my reply, it didn't come out as intended. Sorry. Under the weather...

Sent from my Samsung Note IV

lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  6. r0k

r0k Dazed

Cmon, HC. I've known you too long to take offense. You had an excellent point. I've got backup running shoes. Backup base layers. Backup underwear and electrode gel to keep the heart rate monitor working in cold weather with low humidity. It's just a little less practical to get a backup solution for interval training. But I'll tell you something I've noticed. Google for marathon runners and quite a few of them have multiple watches on. I think anybody serious about running (ie trying to qualify for something like Boston or the US Olympic Marathon Team) has a backup watch. As a recreational runner, I think it's overkill to have a backup watch (unless my Garmin decides to die again!)

lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Another option would be to order a large, greasy pizza and a six pack and give up on the healthy lifestyle. I'm not advocating, or anything. Just pointing out options. ;)

lelisa13p, scjjtt, raspabalsa and 4 others like this.
  8. r0k

r0k Dazed

[​IMG]rep earned and awarded!

What a coincidence... We just ordered pizza for lunch... I think it's from this place:
    피자마루 오송점

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Hey, all the reviews give it 5 stars!
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-22-00-48.png

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Doh! I knew there was a way to use an hourglass or sundial! My coach explained it to me...

I am so sorry to hear about your Garmin. That is a bummer and will definitely put a damper on any workout. In the future, you can always change a workout into a unquantified time workout. For example, instead of 5x mile, you could do 5x9 minutes at a MP effort. Despite the difficulties in training, I hope you are enjoying your trip.

Big time facepalm! I should have done that right on the spot. Of course training in the dark on the opposite time zone with borderline icy conditions didn't exactly help my concentration. :eek:

I really ought to fire up my Garmin on this KTX train doing 300kph. If it logs this "run" I'll be at the top of the leaderboard of all my running buddies. :D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016