I Need to Be Converted...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Nov 8, 2018.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Remember back in the day, when we ripped our own CDs and converted them for use on SD cards? Space was limited and I converted music files to .ogg format because it took up slightly less space than .mp3 files. Good format with little loss and Palm loved it. :thumbsup: PocketTunes. :vbcool:

I have recently noticed that a lot of my music files stored on previous computers (I didn't even realize how many but there are a LOT) are lost to my iPhone use because of the .ogg format. Do you guys have any recommendations for a converter that would run on Windows 10 and convert .ogg files to .mp4 for use on Apple devices? My first thought was Handbrake because I last used it in 2009 with Windows XP but there are some poor reviews WRT Windows 10 use.

I'm missing these vintage tunes. :newpalm:

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You're wanting to double convert your files. Though you may not have lost 'much' quality going to ogg, your 2nd conversion is likely to sound kinda crappy. Why convert?

Find an app that will play ogg files natively. A Google search yields results for doing just that. https://www.google.com/search?q=ogg+iphone&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Or, just keep them on one system locally in your house, and stream them to your iphone. http://plex.tv Let your Plex server handle conversion, if necessary on the fly, to any device you own, anywhere.

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Agree with HC on this one. MP4 is lossy, OGG is lossy, so the end result will hardly be ideal. I'd either get an app that will play OGG on iphones, or download the music on whatever format you can play, or rip from CD source, or <cue evil, megalomaniacal laughter> get an Android device and install any of dozens of available apps that can play any audio format ;)

If you must convert, I recommed Audacity. It's a free program, runs very well on Windows 10, accepts a variety of audio formats as source including OGG and can export to a lot of formats including MP3, OGG, MP4, FLAC, etc. You can apply effects, filters, and other enhancements to your files with Audacity, and test the result before converting.

Speaking of FLAC, I recommend converting audio to this format (provided you convert from CD). It's lossless, very high quality, but files tend to be large, about 5 ~ 6 times the size of a typical MP3 file (i.e. 30MB per song, as opposed to 5MB per song for MP3). But storage is so cheap now that it hardly matters. I don't know if iphones can play FLAC files, though. But you know, you could always <cue evil, megalomaniacal laughter again> get an Android device ;) :D

I've used and very much recommend Handbrake on Windows 10, but for video conversion. I've never used it for audio conversion, so I don't know how well it fares on this.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  5. headcronie

I don't carry my music collection with me. Just not practical. I grab binders of CDs at garage sales for pennies on the dollar. I rip them to my Plex server and stream them whenever / wherever I am. My current collection will last me 16.5 days of continuous play time before I'd hear a repeat. Being that I usually listen at work, I've got plenty of days of non-repeating music, without commercials. I just have to make sure that my co-worker likes the music I play. If he doesn't like it, I'll delete it. It's no loss to me. 75 CDs, plus the binder for $10 at the last sale I picked some up at. 7.5 cents per disk. If I end up deleting an artist, album, or song... Oh darn. :)

upload_2018-11-9_11-10-2.png

Attached Files:

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. headcronie

I currently use Handbrake, but only for video. When ripping some old DVDs, the anamorphic settings on some of those early DVDs are incorrect, so you get a movie that only shows up in the middle of the screen, surrounded by black borders on the top/bottom as well as the sides. Handbrake fixes that with ease. I have no idea if Handbrake does music file conversion. Never looked or tried.

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

Just convert your OGG files and see if you can hear the difference e.g. are they really worse sounding. If not then just convert them.

After you convert them to MP3 or another format, something to consider is iTunes Match (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146). I think it's $30 per year. What it will allow you to do is store any music you have in Apple's cloud whether you bought it from Apple or not. You can then access the music via iTunes or any Apple device. A relevant benefit in your situation is that they give you the higher quality music files if they match what you're uploading in their library. (It's likely outcome unless your music collection is obscure.) For instance, if you upload a crappy 128kbps MP3 of a given song, Apple will match it based on their library and give you a high quality 256kbps AAC version if you redownload or stream it.
    I bought lots of MP3s back in the DRM days, which I had to burn to CD to get rid of the DRM and import back at reduced quality. I used iTunes Match to restore my collection's quality without having to buy the music again.

Charles

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks, guys, for the ideas. :vbsmile: It'll likely be Sunday, at the earliest, before I can look into this further.

I had wondered about the double-loss result of running the files thru another converter and it seems with good reason. The prospect of re-ripping all of those CDs wasn't too appealing, either. :vbfrown:

raspabalsa, scjjtt, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I didn't realize that VLC also converted files (rather than playing almost every format).

If your morals are a bit loose, you could justify using various illicit sources to grab files that match what you've already bought legitimately.

I only ripped CDs using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) into FLAC files, but the very weird thing was that EAC worked amazingly well on my very old desktop PC; but when that desktop crashed catastrophically, I installed EAC on a couple of laptops, and I could never get it to work well again. While the very obsolete desktop ripped through the CDs fairly quickly and easily, the laptop took forever to do a single CD. I don't know if it was a different version or somehow I didn't understand the settings or changed a crucial one; but I gave up on it. I've been thinking lately I need to get back to it, because I have tons of music I don't listen to anymore because I don't have digital versions (and I'm not big on re-buying them on low-quality iTunes or paying a subscription for streaming).

RickAgresta, raspabalsa and lelisa13p like this.
  10. headcronie

It's Monday. Curious minds, and all that. ;)

jigwashere, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.