I Need "Apple ID Shared with Multiple Devices" Help

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by lelisa13p, Dec 31, 2013.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks, r0k, for those details. My son is all grown up (married this past August :) ) so kid apps isn't a problem. It's more the nuts & bolts of setting each thing up so that the only overlap is in the areas where we want it.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Lauren,

This means your situation is a lot like ours. Both our kids are moved out and either in college or working. We shared my iTunes AppleID for a short time and I kept a simple password on that account for the kids to use so we wouldn't have to buy stuff over and over again. Another reason for the simple password was the frequency with which I had to enter it (for every freaking update!)

Nowadays, all our accounts are firewalled off from one another. We still share Netflix credentials and I pay the extra $4 a month so we can have up to 3 streams going at any one time. Ironically the kids both have cable and we don't. Somehow even with cable, they wind up sharing our Netflix account. This validates my opinion that cable is basically 300 shopping channels for $150 a month with purposeful obfuscation to block OTA channels that offer viable alternatives by putting them in the 300+ or 900+ channel numbers far above the sports and music and even the evangelical channels.

Yesterday Apple had one of it's 12 days of Christmas freebies and I could have downloaded the movie Hugo for free. But I would have had to give up 4.3 GB for HD and just over 1 GB for SD. I already own the DVD and it sits in my "fair use proof" bin down in the basement while the movie sits on my media server. I just can't make a use case to allow Apple to manage my movies when they charge so much for online storage and all of my iThings have so little memory for movies. In fact, on my 20+ hour flight to Taipei last year, I tried to put a half dozen movies on my iPad using the camera connection kit. Sadly I could not have watched them without jailbreaking. Luckily on demand movies were free on all of my flights and the selection was from stuff I had not yet seen.

This is yet another deterrent to fully embrace Apple's ecosystem for movies and music. Apple's app store is fine for apps but for music or movies I prefer Amazon. On my Amazon cloud player, I have 400 MB of music loaded for offline playback. I bring all this up because a time might come when I decide to go "all in" for Apple media. When this happens, I'm not about to pay for movies 4 times. We will once again have to decide whether to begin sharing a single "family" iTunes ID for purchases.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    lelisa13p likes this.
  3. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

r0k, there is a difference between re-downloading stuff you have purchased from iTunes, and uploading outside stuff to download from iTunes (iTunes Match). You can redownload almost any apps, music, TV shows, or movies without paying anything additional for storage or bandwidth. Admittedly, iTunes Match is probably more expensive than the competition and may not be worth the money, but you don't need iTunes Match for redownloading iTunes purchases.

lelisa, from what I've read, it is indeed possible to use a separate AppleID for FaceTime and iMessage than for purchases - but I can't try that on my devices, and I don't have access to your devices, so it's hard to advise you regarding exactly what steps to take. I hate to give advice like this, but if it doesn't work, you might just use Skype.

lelisa13p likes this.
  4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I had a typo in my post. I meant 400 MB of music, not 400 GB. There isn't 400 GB of music on this planet I could stand listening to. Maybe 10 or 20 GB but not 400 GB. Anyway, I do have about 500 GB of movies. If I were to "buy" them in iTunes, I think it would cost me about $1000. I've already spent $1000 on the original DVDs and I can use them with or without a 'net connection. Furthermore they don't chew up all my storage as I can keep them on an external drive. So paying for more storage is one factor I think about as far as going "all in" but iTunes match is not a factor in my decision.

Now if iTunes Match worked for movies, music and books... And if these wouldn't suddenly eat up all my storage (on my iThings)... I'd be ALL IN RIGHT NOW.

I think I've sunk over $400 on ebooks on Kindle and over $400 on music, only about $40 of which was in iTunes. I would want all of that to "simply show up" without eating up my entire iPhone or iPad mini internal storage and then I'd happily pay for iTunes match. Another reason for not going all in is DRM. Back when I bought music through iTunes, Apple was still using DRM. I felt burned and walked away. I know they aren't using it now but I don't care. I'd rather have plain old mp3s, despite Amazon putting transaction numbers in the id3 tags. Furthermore, I can simply buy the CD, often cheaper than the mp3 version or iTunes album and allow Amazon "auto rip" to toss the music in my cloud player. What could be easier?

As for movies, my decision has some to do with file formats and file sizes. Apple was willing to sell me 4.3 GB or 1.3 GB worth of Hugo for free as part of their 12 days promotion. On my movie server, Hugo takes up 1.17 GB. I already have it and I don't want to waste space on another copy even if it lives in the cloud and I can watch and then delete it on demand. The fact is that to accept the free gift, I gotta fork over an extra 1.3 to 4.3 gb of my storage for the iTunes copy of the movie to live on for a while. It's holiday photo season and I don't have that kind of storage to burn on any of my iThings. Sorry my post wasn't clear.

lelisa13p and kuddus like this.
  5. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I only use iTunes for apps. I use Amazon for ebooks, music and movies. With Amazon you can store as many credit cards to one account as you want (not sure if that is a feature in iTunes). I have at least 5 people on my Amazon account: me, wife, 35 year old daughter, wife's best friend, and wife's best friend's 18 year old daughter. That way we all share books and everything else. My wife has considered setting up an Amazon account for her book club. My shared apple id is only about apps.

r0k likes this.