I need a suggestion for PDA

Discussion in 'PDAs and Handhelds' started by fara85, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fara85

fara85 Mobile Enthusiast

I have a strange question:
    I don’t want a smart phone. But I want a pocket PC that supports GSM.
    Actually, I want a good pocket PC (such as Dell Axim x51v that is flexible and compatible with most applications) but I don’t want to carry another mobile-phone with me; instead, I want my mobile to be integrated in the pocket PC as well.
    Is there a good suggestion for me?

2. Masterchief

Masterchief Superfluous Moderator Super Moderator

I suggest: A Dell Axim X51v :cool: :newpalm:

3. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, fara85.

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

It depends on what exactly you mean. Any Pocket PC is compatible with pretty much all PPC applications. However, if you're looking for something with the greater power of the X51v, you're probably not going to find any serious competitors in the realm of converged devices. Only a few devices have similarly high specs. There's the O2 XDA Flame, but that's strictly an Asia/Pacific model at the moment. Also the i-mate Ultimate series, but those don't arrive for some months, and at any rate are likely to be insanely expensive.

5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I'd suggest the O2 XDA Flame as well if you don't care about GSM 850 MHz too much. It has an Intel PXA270, a VGA screen, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, HSDPA, 2 GB of Flash storage IIRC, and most importantly, an nVIDIA GoForce 5500 graphics and sound processor that wipes the floor with the Intel 2700G found in the Dell Axim X50v/X51v.

Unfortunately, it lacks a thumbboard(one of my favorite features of the T|C), lacks GSM 850 MHz as I already stated, and will run you about 1100 US$ for what I would believe is an unlocked model.

Still, as long as it's the sole bearer of the GoForce 5500, it's the device to beat in my eyes. I just wish there was a non-phone version available to drive the price down to 500-600 US$.

6. Adama D. Brown

It should be noted that not having been released yet, we don't actually know how the GoForce 5500 will perform.

7. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

If you're making X51v comparisons, the i-mate 7150 is what you need to wait for. (Namely the price tag 1st) if not that then the HTC Athena should live up to par... ;)

8. NamelessPlayer

You have a good point, but I want to be optimistic.

Besides, it's been a while since I last saw a PDA sporting any kind of capable graphics chip-something I want to happen more often due to my innate necessity to run emulators and such on any portable computer.

9. Adama D. Brown

Understandable. Personally, I would find it nigh-impossible to move to any other device from my X51v because of how hard it would be to give up watching desktop quality videos without having to reencode them.

10. fara85

fara85 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions.
    But something seems weird to me: While there are some famous brands such as HP and Dell, should I go for a Taiwan-made O2 / i-mate?
    And some of you guys suggested me the x51v. But as much as I know it doesn’t support GSM! Should I add something to it?

11. NamelessPlayer

About the X51v, since it's not a converged device, your best bet would probably be to Bluetooth-pair it with a non-smart phone.

Yes, it's yet another device to carry, but I don't know any other way to add phone functions to the second-best Windows Mobile device on the market...unless you want to go the VoIP route.

12. Adama D. Brown

For starters, almost everything is manufactured in Taiwan, including the Axims--by the same company that makes the i-mate devices, no less.

Honestly, a PPC with the power of the Axim and a PPC phone are pretty close to mutually exclusive. The closest that you'll get is the O2 Flame, the HTC Universal, or one of the i-mate Ultimates. If GSM is more important to you than specs and power, than there are a number of other options for you.

13. fara85

fara85 Mobile Enthusiast

One may fall in love with i-mate ultimate 7150 at the first look!
    I'm sorry it's not availabe now.
    Do you suggest something like HP ipaq 6955 instead?

14. Adama D. Brown

Honestly, the 6925/45 isn't that spectactular, particularly if you're comparing it against the Ultimates, the X51v, etcetera. If you absolutely need something right now, my best recommendations would be the HTC Universal (sold as the O2 XDA Exec, T-Mobile MDA Pro, etcetera) or the HTC Hermes (Cingular 8525, T-Mobile MDA Vario II, et al).