I just unwrapped my E2, now the "Read this first" doesn't explain some concerns...

Discussion in 'Palm' started by tzgorr, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tzgorr

tzgorr Mobile Enthusiast

Ok, I just bought my E2 about 20 mins ago, and now I'm trying to charge it up.

The "Read This First" tells me to connect both the Hotsync and the power adapter, which I did, but now I'm not sure if the thing is charging at all. I don't see any indicators onscreen, or any blinking lights on the device. It's just sitting there, so how do I know if its charging, and when it's done? Do I just come back in 4hours?

Also about 5mins after I plugged in the cables, the device turned on, on its own. I didn't press anything. I quickly turned it off as I didn't want any problems with the charging process. Should I have left the device on?

Also, I have a problem with the screen protectors. Actually, not just for PDAs but for little devices with screens. I can't seem to get the screen protectors on without getting serious bubbles. And usually they're right in the center of the screen so it's very annoying and ugly.

What is a good way to apply the screen protectors without forming nasty bubbles? What I usually do is that is peel the whole screen protector off and then I apply it. Should I only apply the screen protector as I peel it?

Thanks in advance for you help.

2. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Welcome to Brighthand, Tzgorr.

It doesn't really matter whether you left the unit on or off. It turning on by itself is a good indication that it is charging properly, so just leave it for the full four hours. There is a method to make the unit think it's getting its first charge later on if you suspect your battery life may not be as good as it should be.

The best screen protectors - IMHO - are the more expensive ones. They really are worth that amount of money. I have had one on my T5's screen for over six months with no sign of wear whatsoever - it is utterly invisible. Peel off most of the protector's back, leaving an area to hold it by, line up whichever corner you start with and press that corner down only. Then lightly allow the rest of the protector to gradually come into contact with the screen - you can make sure it is lining up correctly at this point. Do not press it down just yet. When the whole protector is lying on the screen, only then take a credit card or similar-sized piece of soft plastic and burnish it out from the middle with firm strokes. Any tiny bubbles that remain will gradually work their way through the plastic over time.

Hope you enjoy your new palm. Let us know how you get on. :)

3. tzgorr

tzgorr Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the great tips! I'll definitely try out your method of applying the screen protector as soon as it finishes charging.

Just the re-confirm the charging: with both wires (hotsync and ac adaptor) plugged in, I can just assuming the unit is charging even though there are no indicators on the device? (I turned it off when the device turned on by itself earlier).

Also, is it absolutely necessary to have BOTH the hotsync and a/c adaptor plugged in just to charge it? What if I was in some hotel room, and I didn't have my PC, or a laptop. In that case, can I charge the unit with just the a/c adaptor plugged in?

4. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

They only tell you to plug in everything at once because Some People Are Technological Idiots (although not you, Tzgorr). You don't need the HotSync cable in to charge.

If you are really worried about seeing whether it's charging then turn it on - you should see a lightning bolt over the battery symbol - but turn it off again afterwards. Leaving it alone means that juice is only flowing into the battery rather than flowing out as you fiddle with it - helping the unit to understand just how much charge it should be able to hold to begin with. :)

5. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

One minor addition :

the sync cable alone can ALSO be used to charge when connected to a powered USB port, it is called trickle-charging. Slower, but works in cases were you forgot the charger. I leave my T3 connected to my laptop via USB whenever I am at my desk so the device is almost always topped off when I go for a meeting.

BTW Welcome to BrightHand, Tzgorr :D:D:D

6. 106112909

106112909 Mobile Deity

Please note that there is no indication that your device is trickle-charging. The lightning bold symbol appears only if the current charging the device is greater that that used by the device when turned-on. Most powered USB ports deliver obly 500mA which is less than what your device uses when turned-on. The AC adapter, on the other hand, delivers far more current than the Palm uses so you get the lightning bolt symbol and a faster charge.

7. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Actually I get the lightning bolt displayed when trickle charging (both E2 and TX); it depends on the output from your computer and which USB slot you are using. USB0, connected to the motherboard has the most power and is the best choice for syncing.

Welcome to Brighthand tzgorr and enjoy your new E2. :newpalm:

8. tzgorr

tzgorr Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for the great tips, everyone. So far, everything is up and running smoothly! This is my first upgrade from scribbling important dates and appointments on my arms and random pieces of paper, and I'm loving it! lol

Now, to find some free games...hehe

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Congrats on the new Palm! :newpalm:

Before installing any apps, and per DT's post here, check each app out against the master list for compatibility at Palmfocus.com, using T5 and Treo 650 as guidelines. (You may save yourself from a headache later.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.