I Have My Nexus 4-- and I'm Still Drooling.

Discussion in 'LG' started by Hook, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I finally got an official bumper case. $5 shipped. I remember once upon a time I think they retailed around $20, but supply was really tight so scalpers bought them up and tried to extract $40-$100 each on amazon and ebay. I bet some people paid the premium too. For some reason that makes me feel like I got an even better deal ($95 off!!! :vbrolleyes:). I'm test driving it today. I think it looks way nicer than the pictures I've seen online, as opposed to most N4 cases which seem way uglier in person. I won't really start using it for good until my dbrand skin arrives to cover up the back glass (See attached image, it also looks pretty sweet IMO). Flygrip doesn't stick to the glass apparently, so I think I'm going to try and stick it to the dbrand... it might not work out so well but I'm hopeful.

Why am I spending money on a device that's 3 years old in real time and 2 years old in Mi An time? Between a kernel discovery that lets me color text in any reading app to be easier on the eyes, the flygrip and dimple nfc buttons, it's the best reading experience I've had since Syd. Plus the $20 moto g 'media player' I picked up a bit ago took the stress off my storage. I never thought I'd enjoy my Nexus 4 this much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Here's my Nexus 4 fully loaded with a dbrand skin to cover that slippery back glass, an official LG bumper case for safety, a flygrip and dimple nfc buttons. The dbrand and bumper both class it up, IMHO, but both the flygrip (color scheme wasn't my choice, would've chosen plain black, but I got it for $5 on ebay) and dimple buttons detract from the aesthetics. What's lost in beauty is many times over recaptured in functionality and ergonomics. My Nexus 4 is once again my go to eReader, everywhere except in bright sunlight. I'm actually preparing to sell my Onyx Afterglow 2, even though I love it. I just don't need it anymore.

So hop into a time machine folks to visit the halcyon era of 2012, a strange time when 5"+ phones raised skeptical or outright disapproving eyebrows! I've had my Nexus 4 for years, and I've only recently begun drooling. Not that I didn't like it before, but now I really dig it. So I present, the one and only Nexus 4 Pro (slowly evolving from left to right):

n4s2.jpg n4bd2.jpg n4pro2.jpg

Using semaphore, I can change the color balance of my screen, even zeroing out blue light and Red or Green, for a completely Green or Red foreground (both of which I use often for reading), for example. Unlike some apps, this doesn't create a shade on top of everything which undermines how black the black pixels get, so I retain higher contrast this way than using, say Twilight. Many 3rd party ereading apps make it easy to alter foreground text, but kindle only offers presets. I use kindle's white text on black background and then alter foreground using my kernel. Less blue light at night equals less eye strain. Blurriness below is camera-related, not screen related.

semagr2 (Custom).jpg semasettings (Custom).jpg

SyncRaven, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Very cool, Mi An. Even though my needs are different, I love what you are done and I love watching people make their personal mods, like Raspy humping 3 batteries on his TX. Thanks so much for sharing this! :newpalm:

RickAgresta, Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Batteries were always a popular target. On my m500 where the palminfocenter folks helped me find a battery model with a couple hundred extra mah I could (barely) squeeze in the existing casing, though I think some m500 mods went beyond that. Now there are a few phones that come packed with batteries big enough for a laptop. I also remember those tx mic mods back in the day. Didn't need one myself, but I couldn't help but admire them. My interests are quite niche of course, but I like the sensibilities of brighthand where such endeavors are appreciated.

I was actually forlorn when my TP2 finally became so buggy I had to move on. It was a fortunate accident that the tilting sliding keyboard made it such a comfortable eReader for me, both by allowing it to rest on my hand while I lay down (rather than having to grip it) and by the lucky positioning of the arrow keys in the perfect spot so that I could turn pages with my thumb right where it naturally fell while holding the TP2 in book mode with just a subtle squeeze. This solution isn't quite as perfect, but it's close enough and it's portable so I can easily implement it on my next device. And that's nice to know. I've fallen in love with enough tech just as the market was about to eliminate it. But I have a backup flygrip and a backup dimple and I expect both to live a nice long life.

RickAgresta, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Agreed - Cool stuff, Mi-An!

The TP2 is still a very good and very capable device, even today. I've moved on because the battery had degraded and battery life was pathetic, and I can't get the back cover off to replace it. I suspect the degraded battery has swollen to the extent it's jamming the back cover. Irony at its best, eh? Also, being the international version, it only gets 2G / Edge data connections and those channels will likely be cut off in the coming months (3-6 months according to the AT&T CS guy who got me transitioned.) After moving last year I have no phone other than my mobile and, with my health issues & living alone, I can't afford to be without reliable communications. So I've moved on. Didn't go all the way to the S6 as I wanted the flexibility of an expansion card and prefer a removable (i.e. replaceable) battery. Also, the S5 is fully capable for me but less $$$ now that it isn't the newest model...