I Have My Nexus 4-- and I'm Still Drooling.

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Hook, Mar 6, 2013.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Doesn't surprise me!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4 using Tapatalk.

2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I've been doing some backing up this week. Backup is a lot easier when you already have root, but at least that part is done. I'm preparing for the possibility of unlocking and rooting this weekend. I really didn't want to do it so soon, but my nexus runs really hot, and heat is bad for everything. I aim to cool it down, and if I'm already unlocked, I'm inclined to try Paranoid Android.

I haven't chosen a kernel yet. Only features I'm after are voltage control and maybe governor control, and uh, stability. Any advice is welcome.

Hook likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I haven't ever gotten into kernels. It's a little over my head and I've never found a reason too. Heat has never bothered me. Both my Nexus One and the Nexus 4 get/got hot, but never burn your hand hot. It always seemed to me that if you have a lot of electronics packed in a tight space, it is going to get hot. Never seemed to have any bad effects from it. I'm not saying I'm right, just my experience. ;)

I do recommend (I think I did before, but too lazy to read back) Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit which can be used to both unlock and root and unroot and lock and even to flash the stock android, which is handy if you want to check out upgrades from Google.

[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.2 [Updated 08/26/13]: Nexus 4 Thread - xda-developers

Very easy to use.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Good luck with your endeavors, Mi An!

My E4GT sometimes gets hot. I agree, it's not good when that happens. I usually find that there's some app-gone-wild in the background (GPS and/or low signal strength is often correlated), but I can't seem to track it down. A few expletives and a reset usually cools things down pretty quickly.

I'm not happy with Cyanogenmod on my E4GT and am likely going back to stock (rooted) pretty soon. CM10.1 has too many compromises. The latest nightly (and perhaps the last before a release to 10.2) switches out the logic for screen rotation and it doesn't work well at all -- I'm often stuck in landscape when I want portrait. Before flashing, back to stock, I might try a different AOSP ROM as well as a kernel that has some power optimizations. From what I read, some ROMs are better than others in terms of power management, etc., but it's usually the kernel that has the optimizations baked in.

There's a good chance I'll be upgrading my phone in October (maybe the Galaxy S4), but I might hold off to see what Sprint does with LTE in my area.

Mi An likes this.
  5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'm unlocked and reloaded. ADB backup and restore worked alright. I've got PA 3.99 RC2, TWRP and root, and I'm playing with ROM Toolbox pro that I grabbed on sale a while back. I'm doing another nandroid backup before I flash my first kernel (faux's stock plus), and then I'll work on cooling things down. Be nice if rom toolbox has all the tools I need to underclock and undervolt, and I expect to spent the rest of the weekend tinkering with that and PA's options.

Edit: I really didn't get much done this weekend. I found a better kernel, semaphore, and have figured out its companion app. I've gotten started on undervolting, and saw (as a preliminary matter) a 5-6 degree drop in battery temp highs with around a 100mV drop for voltages, and a drop in surface temps that's a little more noticeable, but I'd like to think I can do better. I have also done some underclocking and governor changes, but I haven't put them altogether yet. I want to find a nice stable, yet effective undervolt before I add in other changes.

I've been using antutu bench for a quick prelim stability tester. Once I settle on a final voltage, I'll run something longer and more taxing to ensure stability, but in the meantime, I saw a 600 point increase in my antutu bench scores with 100mv decrease in voltage. Best explanation I've read of this behavior is the the voltage decrease slows temp rise, forestalling qualcomm's thermal throttling and allows the chip to run at higher frequencies for longer periods. FWIW.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    RickAgresta, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'm mostly happy with the heat situation now. The internally measured high temps for the battery almost never go over 92 degrees F even with extended heavy use (before they pushed 100 degrees regularly, and it didn't take much to get there), and the casing feels like it has had an even bigger temp drop. I'm undervolting about 150mV now, and may try a bit higher this weekend. I've capped the clock at about 900mhz, and I'm still quite happy with performance. I tried switching governors before, but it got super laggy, even with higher clocks, so I went back to the standard on demand setting. I haven't exactly enjoyed messing with this stuff, but I have enjoyed getting results. The zen of Android is definitely not the zen of Palm, but when it finally works the way you want, it's a really nice feeling.

Once I got root, I went ahead and tried lux. I was interested in the subzero brightness, hoping it worked like pruss' app, sadly though, it was just a shade, it didn't actually lower the backlight, it just adjusted colors darker. It was so smooth and the n4's screen is so good, I almost didn't notice, except that the onscreen buttons didn't dim with the rest of it. Sadly, even pruss' app didn't lower my minimum brightness, though that may have been the fault of whatever kernel I was using at the time. The kernel I have now, semaphore, just introduced a cool mode that allows for a much wider range of brightness settings within the system brightness. When I set it at about 50% system brightness now, it's about as bright as the minimum brightness was before, at zero it's super dark. :D

This means I can use lux, or anything, without worrying about their subzero brightness mechanisms. It also means I don't need a shader to use with Kindle anymore. Anything that adjusts system brightness can take me far lower than I was able to go before and save battery life in the process. I've never liked autobrightness. I used tasker a lot on syd for limited brightness adjustment, but I've never done it based on the light sensor before, and I think I'm going to try that this time. Maybe a profile that just measures light levels when I turn on the screen. If I can't make that work, lux might still be the ticket for me, so thanks for reminding me about it here =)

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

New feature alert. Plex » Introducing Cloud Sync (beta)

I can see this coming in handy.

RickAgresta, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Got a 2TB drive inside my server at home. Bought a domain name for cheap and pointed it to my ip address. Configured the necessary port forwarding for Plex. Now I essentially have my own Netflix server. Bought the Plex for android app and have streamed untold hours of content. Best money spent on entertainment for android thus far. If I want to stream to another computer and I am not home, I simply browse to my domain and voilla, simple as that. May have to redirect my domain every 3 to 4 months when my isp decides to change my address.

Got 35mbps down and 4mbps up service. That is enough to stream to android or a pc from outside my network without a problem.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Mi An and jigwashere like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Plex (server) kinda annoyed me at first because I didn't know what I was doing. It wanted TV shows to be named a certain way that would have been impractical for me to implement in order to even detect them. It wouldn't see transport streams at all (.ts) for some reason, and that's the only format my PVR software records in. But I don't really need plex's database functionality right now, and that's all categorizing my tv shows as tv shows offered, though I didn't realize that at the time. I've reimplemented everything under the 'home video' category and use a folder view from my client. Everything is detected just like I'd find it on my PC and transport streams work just fine.

M.I.S.S. :eek:

headcronie and jigwashere like this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Two years ago this month, I noticed the already cheap Nexus 4 was slashed in price to $199. That price isn't mind-boggling today, but at the time it was so insane, it very nearly ripped a hole in the space-time continuum (true story). I was powerless to resist the bargain. And I'd say it's held up very well. I've enjoyed the ease of rooting and tinkering, and my custom kernel has been a dream maker, allowing me to plunge the brightness far below the original minimum to save battery life as well as ease eye strain. The screen is still the most remarkable LCD I've ever laid eyes on at night, I believe due to LG's zero gap technology.

Sadly, I no longer read on it much, preferring my Afterglow 2 (like a paperwhite with Android), though I read heavily on it for about a year. I now have two flygrips and I've been notified that my dimple nfc buttons are finally (supposedly) inbound. Perhaps with those two ingredients, my phone will once again be my most comfy eReader, as was my Touch Pro2 before it. That'd be pretty sweet.