I have integrated my Google Voice and Sprint numbers

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

By the way, if I decide I don't like Project Fi, it looks like Sprint offers something similar to my current SERO plan: Unlimited 55+. Apparently, for $50/month, they offer
    • Unlimited Talk, Text and Data
    • Worry-free travel. Stay connected with Global Roaming in over 185 worldwide destinations
    • Stream video in DVD-quality (480p)
    • Unlimited Mobile Hotspot (at 3G speeds)

scjjtt, Hook and headcronie like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Jig - FYI: my IT friend upgraded from his Samsung S3 six (?) months ago or so to the Moto G6. He is all into rooting & Roms (which is why his S3 lasted so long) & I'm sure he has already done that to his phone.

One of the reasons he chose the Moto G6 was this - he researched that replacing the battery was easy compared to other phones. FWIW

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Hook, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I decided not to over-analyze this and reordered the Moto G6. Even though the X4 is very attractive for what seems to be a better camera and it water proof, I decided to go with the lower cost option.

4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Judging by my experience with the Moto G5S, if you don't "need" to root the Moto G6, I wouldn't root it. Root isn't the problem -- it's already available for the G6. The problem is there is VERY little 3rd-party developer support for any of the Moto G devices. I know that, like me, your prior phone was a Nexus 6. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE in terms of developer support. Actually, that's not the real problem either. The REAL problem is that it's VERY difficult to return it back to stock (like to take an OTA update). It's not as simple as just removing root and restoring the stock Recovery (the phone won't boot), you get the same results if you restore a nandroid of the completely stock phone, and Motorola won't release the stock firmware to the public. I'm currently stuck in this scenario with my Moto G5S. Even though I made a nandroid backup of of the entirely stock device, if I restore that backup in attempt to restore to stock unrooted the phone won't boot. There are some questionable sources for the original firmware that have had mixed success at returning to stock. Unfortunately, a lot of people end up with a blank IMEI, which is a show-stopper.

It's a truly great phone and I'm actually really happy with it, but I'm very disappointed in the lack of 3rd-party developer support. It's just not what I'm used to with Android.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

With the realization that these devices are just as prone, if not more prone to being compromised by drive by attacks, I've found it less and less appealing to root. The features I get by rooting are small, but highly sought after. Device level adblocking is beautiful. Device level firewall is great. The rest I really don't care about.

I've not rooted my phone since my Note 2. I've bought as many apps as I can to reduce advertisements, and I only use a browser that supports adblocking. The difficulty in staying current with patches is just too much. The trust I have to put on 'unknown' people who root or build a ROM, given the sensitive nature of my personal data is just too much for me.

I've not looked into rooting in quite a while, but I suspect that the developer support is going to reside with the devices that have the most market share, like the Samsung series for sure. I could be way off base... it's been quite a few years. :)

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

For me rooting is all about backup and recovery (titanium backup and nandroid), kernel tweaking and being able to have alternative ROMs. Alternative ROMs is especially about debloating (both manufacturer and Google stuff). I've been very fortunate. Since 2010, all my phones have been Nexuses (Nexi?). They truly have always been painless to root (and unroot)and to backup and restore when something goes wrong. And since 2013 my alternate ROM has been Dirty Unicorns. I have gotten to know the guys involved and have even had conversations with them. No I haven't met them, but I haven't met many of you. I feel pretty confident that these guys are building the ROMs they want (they only build for the devices they own) and that they are pretty damn competent at doing so and maintain good QC. They are also very transparent about their methods. I've been *very* lucky.

I don't know what I will do when my Nexus 6p reaches EOL and will do everything I can to keep that from happening. However, I suspect wherever I go next, I'm not sure I will dive into rooting because I don't see much out there that is as straight forward and well supported as the Nexus devices and I personally need stupid easy.

I did root my Tab S long ago. It wasn't stupid easy, but it was well supported and I was less cautious about a tablet than my phone. It now no longer has any Samsung software on it at all, speaking of debloating, and, through Lineage OS, I'm still getting security updates for Nougat. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Hook, you make me want to root again... Darn you!