I have integrated my Google Voice and Sprint numbers

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Apr 29, 2012.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I have GV, but never integrated it with my Sprint number. My wife gave me a weird look when I told her she could call my cell using two completely different numbers. That's the way I've always run it. My GV number is local to where I live, while my Sprint number isn't. It's been that way since the get-go, as I had to jump through untold sets of hurdles to get the Sprint SERO plan back in the heyday and there was no way to get a local number. Now, with everyone having my Sprint number, it is just too much of a PITA to change it. That, and I really don't want a recycled number that someone else has had either. I don't want those calls...

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I haven't used my Sprint phone number in years -- even before Google and Sprint created this special integration. I fully expected this arrangement to die, and even if it hadn't, I wanted to leave my options open for leaving Sprint and easily keeping my GV phone number.

As you may recall, Google/Sprint offered two integration options: option 1 was to convert the Sprint number to GV; option 2 converted GV to Sprint. The former meant you had to abandon your Sprint number; the latter meant you kept both phone numbers, but would only use GV for calls and texts (plus, calls to my Sprint number would be forwarded to my GV).

Since I integrated using option 2 (convert my Google Voice number to Sprint), I never lost my Sprint phone number. I always had both Google Voice # and a Sprint #. Any time I call Sprint customer disservice, I give them my Sprint # to avoid confusion, but other than that, I could pretend my Sprint number didn't exist.

People who chose option 1 integration lost their Sprint numbers and would have a much more difficult time separating GV from Sprint. For me, it should mostly be a non-event. I'll simply lose the convenience of using the native dialing app. That is, until I switch to Project Fi. :D

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

On a side-note, does anyone know why Google keeps asking me to confirm my GV number and the forwarding instructions? Every year or so, I get a message saying I need to confirm the number or something.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Security protocol. Making sure that you still want your number forwarded to your specified number. I can only guess at the number of people who may have forwarded to their work phone, and left that job, and forgotten to undo the forwarding.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Good point.

6. jigwashere

As I consider switching from Sprint to Project Fi, I'm looking at the Moto G6 that's being offered by Google as of today. It's on sale for $199. It looks like a decent phone and has Oreo. Unfortunately, Moto is slow delivering updates. I like the price, and my son has been happy with his G5.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. jigwashere

I just ordered the Moto G6 from Project Fi. It should arrive next week. GV is no longer integrated with Sprint. I should be able to cancel my Sprint contract in June.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.
  8. jigwashere

Drrrr....having second thoughts. Should I cancel the Moto G6 ($199) and get the Moto X4 ($249)? Looks like the X4 is 6 months older and a bit smaller, but better processor, I believe it'll also upgrade to Oreo, has better water resistance (IP68), NFC, better camera, probably better battery life, etc.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Don't know if this matters to you, but looks like the X4 has better root support at XDA than the G6, maybe because it's older.

10. jigwashere

I'm not quite sure if it matters to me, either. I did flash my Nexus 6, but didn't keep up with it. I'm not even sure I'll root my next phone.

Thanks for pointing this out, Hook. I will take some time to look around XDA before I decide. :)