I have integrated my Google Voice and Sprint numbers

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I finally decided to integrate my Google Voice number with my Sprint number. I had 2 options: (1) convert my Sprint number to GV, or (2) convert my GV number to Sprint. I chose option 2 because everyone knows my GV number.

One advantage of option 2 is that I can always separate the two numbers if I choose. With option 1, unless you pay Google $20 to preserve your GV number, you'll lose it after 90 days. Anyone calling my Sprint number will be forwarded to my GV, which records the call as coming from my secondary number. I don't consider that ideal (I'd prefer forwarded them to a message that the number is not in service which was my previous Sprint voicemail greeting.)

So far, it's working extremely well. I've retained all the benefits of Google Voice (e.g., call management, free calls to Canada, discounted international calls, etc.) while dumping the need for 3rd party dialers. From what I can tell, as long as the call originates from my Sprint device, I still have the benefit of unlimited calls to mobile phones on any network. I'm not sure, however, if people calling me on my Google Voice number will benefit on their end (i.e., their carrier might recognize my number as being a landline).

The bottom line for me is that I've pretty much committed to sticking with my E4GT at $50/month (rather than reverting to my TP2 at $30). While I no longer have "unlimited" minutes, my new plan provides me all the minutes I could possibly use. Summarizing my new plan - 500 anytime minutes, free calls to any mobile number, free calling to any 5 numbers, free calling after 7 PM and on weekends. In addition, I have no long distance charges to Canada and low international rates.

The latest rumor is that Google Voice will be available for integration with other carriers in the near future. From my experience so far, I can recommend it.

2. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Nice Jig! I will be interested if you find out about when people call your GV # if their carrier treats it like a Mobile # or not. I am still using GV. mainly as a "Published Office" number. I keep my mobile number. I just never give it out.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

By 'convert' I assume you mean assigning your GV number to also be your phone's number? Right? How do you retain the original Sprint number? You mention being able to 'separate' the numbers in the future if you choose.

4. jigwashere

Moving discussion from http://forum.brighthand.com/off-topic/285817-mms-google-voice.html:

Integration is ONLY available for Sprint customers at this time. GV/Sprint entered into an agreement last year to provide this functionality. I've read reports recently that say other carriers may soon offer this, too.

I don't know the mechanics of what happens behind the scenes, so I can't speak with much authority. Sprint/GV Option 1 seems very clear, but Option 2 is a bit more difficult to understand because the change is subtle from a functional point of view -- but more pronounced as it relates to my contract. Let me try to explain:

Without integrating, I configured Google Voice to forward my GV calls to my mobile phone device. At the same time, I configured my Sprint number to always forward missed calls to my GV account. No matter which number people called, my mobile phone rang. If I didn't answer, the call went to GV's mailbox rather than my Sprint mailbox. Outgoing calls from my phone, however, would always show my Sprint number -- unless I used 3rd party software such as Voice+ (Google voice callback), the Google Voice app on Android (which uses a GV API using special GV numbers for each call), or something like Magicall on WinMo to intercept outgoing calls and dial them similar to the way you'd use a credit card dialer. In the end, each dialing method did the job, but some methods were more troublesome than others. Each method required varying degrees of effort to work within my calling plan, too.

Integrating Sprint with GV using Option 2 is much the same as simply forwarding my number. In other words, my GV number appears as my primary number. My Sprint number is secondary. There's no difference when people call me. It doesn't matter which number they call -- my phone rings. If I miss the call -- GV handles the voicemail. Outgoing calls are different -- all calls from my phone appear to come from my GV number. No software required, although I do use the Google Voice app for Android just to keep my GV history in sync. (It also gives me additional functionality like offline voicemail, etc.). This is a pretty big difference -- no more monkeying around with 3rd party apps -- but not the one that really matters. The most important difference is that all calls made and received by my mobile device are seen as mobile calls. This is critical for my contract terms.

Since you don't have Sprint, and therefore don't have the option to integrate your mobile number with Google Voice, you shouldn't worry about it. Not until Verizon and GV work out a deal.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks for being patient since I was obtuse. The way I read it (boiled down) is that you've moved from using 3rd party software as an intermediary when dialing from your Sprint phone to using GV's built-in capacity with Sprint to do much the same. The major visible difference being that now your 'originating' number appears as your GV number. But here's my next question: internally, is it working in such away that you are still technically dialing out from (I mean this in a figurative sense to mean 'originating' your calls) your Sprint number, which forwards to GV, which makes the external connection? Also, this preserves your Sprint number tied to your phone, even if that's not really apparent in operation. I gather this is sort of a further integration of Gizmo5 features into GV, right?

I'm just interested in the technical details not just for the possibility that Verizon would do something similar.

Thanks.

6. jigwashere

I think you're right. When I go to Settings > About phone > Status, my Sprint number still shows up. The forwarding must somehow happen seamlessly within the Sprint network. Before integrating, the forwarding would have happened on Google's side.

I'm not sure what you mean by Gizmo 5 features.

7. jigwashere

Looks like I have some changes to make with my phone service.

Google Voice integration with Sprint is coming to an end
    Google Voice, the service that gives US users a free phone number they can use for calls, texts and messages on devices other than a smartphone, recently got a big overhaul. Left intact was Sprint's unique arrangement with Google that allowed its customers to use their Sprint phone number for Google Voice. Google has informed Sprint customers that the arrangement is about to end, however, thanks to changes coming to Sprint's network.

Google Voice let users make free calls to most places in the US and Canada, but as of June 1st, 2018, all outgoing calls, including international calls, will go through Sprint and be billed accordingly. Messages, calls and voicemails after that date will no longer be stored on Google Voice, and you won't be able to use Voice-enabled features like call forwarding, voicemail transcription and spam detection.

Google recommends disabling integration before the cutoff date of June 1st, and re-blocking any phone numbers using the carrier's MySprint application. You'll have to re-install Google Voice on your phone if you want to keep using it. (Check here for Google's complete article on the matter.)

Not all is lost. You can still use Voice by getting a dedicated number from Google, or even port your Sprint number to Google Voice, though you'd then have to get a new Sprint number. You'll never regain the handy centralization of all your telephony and messages across multiple devices, though. It also marks the end of unprecedented cooperation between a US carrier and tech company, entities that are normally oil and water.

8. jigwashere

My contract ends 6/13, so maybe this would be a good opportunity to move to Google Fi.

9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I was wondering how this would impact you. Another SERO account about to bite the dust. "Mission accomplished!" - Sprint.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  10. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I just got this notification the other day, too. :( I'm not really using Google Voice though. I was just using it for voicemail transcription and to be able to access my text messages from the the Google Voice website, etc. But now all that is gone! (Or at least will be as of June 1). It took me forever to figure out how to deactivate it. I couldn't find "Legacy Google Voice Settings". I finally did, turned it off, and then setup my Sprint Voicemail again. I'm going to miss the voicemail transcription, but not enough to pay extra for Sprint Visual Voicemail.

Ugh. Now I have to do it on my two boy's phones, too.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.