I have an Airave 2.0 (Airvana) coming....

Discussion in 'Carrier Discussions' started by internetpilot, Mar 6, 2012.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

After doing some research on it, the solution to a more reliable signal (via roaming) on Verizon towers is to flash certain PRLs to your Sprint phone that emphasize Verizon towers over Sprint's. There's a big fat warning with that download, though, that says that Sprint has deactivated people's accounts for roaming too much. Not sure how legit of action that would be for me -- I have unlimited phone and data roaming as part of my plan. And if I'm living in area where there obviously aren't any Sprint towers, then I would, of course, be roaming all the time. I might try those PRLs.

As for the Airave 2.0 (Airvana), that turned out to be exactly the fiasco I suspected it would.

First, they want you to connect it directly to your broadband modem -- not your home router. When I did as they demanded, all heck broke loose (actually just plain broke!) on my home network, because that's when the Airvana becomes the router, including handling basic network functions like DHCP, port forwarding, etc. I use several WiFi routers to extend the WiFi coverage of the main router. For some reason, those were rendered useless by this installation, including whatever was connected to them by wire not being able to see the internet, the home network, etc. So, in one fell swoop, all of my computers were down, my DirecTV DVR receivers were down, all game consoles in the house were down, NAS was down, and of course all streaming and file/print sharing was down. Ask how happy the family was...no, go ahead...ask. :(

So, I went online, found forums support for the device on the Airvana site as well as Sprint forums, and found several methods for installing the Airvana to the router rather than directly to the broadband modem. Airvana support claims that there are no adverse results to this alternative installation. Given that, I'm not quite sure why they would insist on it being connected directly to the modem, which is always going to do nothing but generate support headaches for them when it takes all but the simplest home networks.

Six bars of a phone signal?! WHAT?! Yup, and boy was I excited! But....it didn't last long. Several people texted me to say that my phone was spewing 10 copies of each text to them (and one of them has a text limit on their phone, so they weren't too happy about that). So, off to Airvana support for that issue, and no surprise there -- it's a known problem and has yet to be resolved (a year later).

So back in the box this contraption goes, and back to Sprint it goes. I might try the Verizon emphasized PRLs, but in the meantime I have insisted that Sprint let me out of my contract early without penalty, and I'm likely going to move on to Verizon. Was really hoping this would work, but fearing it would turn out exactly as it did. Bummer.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

But you may get a new Phone out of it? ;)

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

That's a mixed blessing. I really, really, really, really still like my HTC EVO 4G. I really do! I don't have any upgrade envy at all, because it's just does everything I need a smartphone to do, and the only part that doesn't perform well is the Sprint service.

I'm currently considering the HTC Rezound (which would probably give me the most EVO-ish experience) and the Droid Razr Maxx (which comes with a battery that could defibrillate my heart and still last a full 8 hours). I'll probably have to head into a store to try them both out, and then go through my wife's work to buy one. In the past, my wife was able to get loaners from work for me to try for days, but not sure if that's possible anymore.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!