I have an Airave 2.0 (Airvana) coming....

Discussion in 'Sprint PCS' started by internetpilot, Mar 6, 2012.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

After getting fed up with waiting for 4+ years for Sprint to add themselves to the cell tower that is actually BUILT INSIDE my neighborhood, I finally got completely frustrated watching my two older kids with their Verizon iPhone 4S'es and my wife with her new Verizon Blackberry get great coverage, and wrote to Sprint CS to tell them I wanted out of my contract without penalty because after 4+ years of promises, there's still relatively zero coverage around my house.

I've actually been with Sprint for a while now, and purchased both of my Sprint phones through my wife's corporate program (she's the CTO of a rather huge company). I definitely mentioned that as a decision maker for corporate vendors, my wife was not too pleased with paying a monthly Sprint bill when I'm still getting relatively zero coverage.

Well it worked...sort-of . After not hearing anything back for a couple of weeks, I got a response from the Director of Retension Escalations, asking if I would be willing to try a new Airave 2.0, completely free of charge (of course). Apparently, unlike the old Airave, the new one provides both phone and 3G data coverage in the home, as well as reportedly fixing a known problem with texting (specifically MMS).

We'll see. I'm willing to let them try, but after reading about some of the Airave 2.0 problems, I'm predicting I'll be moving to Verizon soon. Time will tell! I'll report back...

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That's a long time to have poor coverage at home. I suffered with poor coverage in my home from 1999 until...I don't know, 5 or 6 years ago? I could stand outside and have no trouble, but inside, nothing. I rarely made calls from home, so it wasn't a big deal, but once I started using smartphones, coverage became a bigger priority. I get very good coverage, now.

Doesn't Sprint roam on Verizon's network? I remember years ago Verizon reps came to our office. I work for a company with 50k+ employees, and we made Verizon a preferred vendor offering employees significant discounts. I walked up to a rep and said if he could make his phone work in the building I'd sign up. I went with AT&T. :D

Good luck with the Airrave! Do let us know how it works out.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I deployed an Airrave at my office. It does work, but our building is so old, with plaster covered lathe, that the signal doesn't go very far. However, it does cover the intended office. For the price of free, I can't complain.

4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I thought Sprint roamed on Verizon towers myself, but apparently not because I can tell my EVO4G to only hit Sprint towers, automatically roam, or ONLY roam, but even when set to only roam it won't pick up the Verizon dish that I know is on that tower in my neighborhood.

I think Sprint and Verizon had a little bit of a falling out. I know that a couple of years ago my coverage while traveling started getting pathetically bad, when in the same areas it had been great before. I don't know what's going on, but you're right -- I'm paying too much of a premium for a smartphone (with 4G) to not get decent reception at least most of the time.

Where Sprint is going to lose this one is that even outside of my home I can't get a reliable signal, so it's not like its my home construction like Sprint wants to make it out to be. I find myself half hoping the Airave works, but then also hoping it doesn't so I can just move on to Verizon and be done with it.

Definitely not looking forward to picking out a new phone...

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jig, was the 755p a 3G phone? as I sit writing this, both it and my DroidX are maxxed out signal-wise; can't recall the Sprint signal at home, but the DroidX (and any other Verizon cellphone I've had) strains to keep a signal. not planning to switch to the 755p as a phone, but if it is a good indicator of 3G coverage, that's good to know. btw, the 755p is, for me & imho, unsurpassed for many_things_PDA_related...even with the small kb.

6. jigwashere

"...even with the small kb." Don't you mean, "because of the awesome keyboard?" Never has there been a better keyboard on a mobile phone. Ever.

The 755p is 3G.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

:D I thought the consensus was that the TP2 had a superior kb, certainly it looks bigger...anywho, thanks for the 3G confirmation :newpalm:

8. jigwashere

I never really liked the keyboard on the TP2. You're right that it has a reputation for being the best, but I was always more proficient with the 755p.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I like both the 755p and TP2 keyboards. Both worked well for their given OS. The TP2 keyboard on Android, is lacking, but that's what happens when you run FrankenDroid. :)

10. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

That was the case the last time I tried out a Sprint unit, but that's been a few months at least. It's possible that roaming on some areas of Verizon was disabled due to (at least theoretically) having Sprint coverage nearby.