I fear a factory reset is in my near future...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Jun 26, 2018.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

my S5 has started doing restarts on its' own; the most recent one happened when the phone was idle (on, but screen off, no intentional background processes running, e.g., okay, google, calculate pi out to 10 million decimal places, tell me when you've finished..oh, and alternate colors in the display)

so, even though I'm rooted, I've never gotten into (and understand less) how Nandroid backups and the like work. I do have the option of using Titanium Backup/Restore. Thinking a little about what I just typed in, if a Nandroid backup takes a snapshot of the system as it currently is, complete with warts that cause auto-resets, is that really saving me any time over using TiBUR?

on Verizon, running Android 5.0

Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Hook, scjjtt, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've backed up/restored several devices using either one of the methods you mention, plus also using the manufacturer's own backup (if available). From what I've seen, the Nandroid will carry over whatever it is that's causing problem, if it's indeed software-based. TiBU has the advantage that you can select what data to backup, you can exclude apps, etc., meaning you can do a barebones backup, selecting only critical apps/data to reduce chance of carrying bad stuff over.

If I was in your situation, a device with unsolvable resets, I think I'd just backup my data, do a factory reset, and restore from Google. That guarantees a clean installation, and should clear any software error. I know it's a PITA, though. I've been postponing a factory reset for several weeks. You see, Oreo has been released to the LG G6, but not in Colombia. The European ROM is compatible with my G6 and it's available to flash, but requieres a factory reset to do it. I haven't been able to talk myself into doing it, even though I'd really like to see Oreo on my G6.

RickAgresta, Hook, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Definitely do a backup. Instead of factory reset, try clearing Dalvik cache and reboot.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I've got nothin for ya. I rooted my Note 2, and that was the last device I've done. Jellybean.... it's been a while, and I've not kept up with it either.

Your other option would be go go through, application by application, and clear all the cached data and configurations. Do it one app at a time, and see if it crashes. If it stops crashing, you've cleared the bad info. If it crashes, it's not the right app, and go to the next. If you happen to find the app right away, you won't have to rebuild much. If not... well... :eek:

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

With Nandroid backups, you want to do them when you first setup (and root), and then before any major change you want to make to the system so that you can always roll back to a version that works. Once you set that up, you'll probably never have to factory reset again (always hand on to at least that first Nandroid backup). Titanium Backup is most useful if you do a lot of wipes or to restore a previous version of an app that got a bad update. So I use TB a lot, but mostly because I clean flash Dirty Unicorns once a month-- it allows me to go from complete wipe to full setup in an hour. Again, I always have a Nandroid of the current state of the device before a wipe.

So if the above suggestions don't work, factory reset, root and Do a Nandroid backup. Then restore apps (Google or TB-- I never use Google) and Nandroid again if everything works. Archive these two Nandroids as Base Install and Base plus apps and never delete. Then i things get really F-ed up, you can avoid starting from scratch.

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'd done this about a week ago, and it hasn't helped, but thanks for trying to assist.

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I used to do a Nandroid backup about once every two months, saving each with a timestamp. I used to keep about a year's worth of backups. That way I was able to rollback to whatever point I wanted. I complemented this with weekly TB backups. Everything went to a hard disk and to the cloud. Then I realized the only times I needed or wanted to rollback was when I serioulsy messed up one of my Minecraft worlds (a couple are over 1.5 GB size) :oops:. That was back when I used rooted devices. My devices have been unrooted for a couple of years, so now I rely mostly on Google and LG's backup. I keep a couple backups on LG's app. Personal data goes to OneDrive, work data to the corporate Google Drive, using OneSync and DriveSync respectively. And I still regularly back up the Minecraft folder to OneDrive :D

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.